• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

To improve pick up W212

VersionS

Dear forum 

I have installed KNN drop in on my 2010' W212 pre face lift E250 but it doesn't seem to help on my pick up. Although is turbo charged but the sluggish pick up doesn't seem to 201hp stated.

any advice for a way to improve the pick up ?

or can help refer me to the earlier topic on this ?

thanks all 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of things that could perhaps help a bit w/o needing expensive mods:

1. Ensure your tires are sufficiently inflated. 

2. Reduce unsprung weight for e.g. change to lighter rims. Stock rims are really heavy.

3. Overall weight reduction for e.g. remove unnecessary items in the car. I know of people who even go to the extent of removing their spare tires. 

4. Install an e-throttle controller.

5. Ensure you're using the recommended type of fuel on your vehicle.

Note that the improvements from the above may be minimal. I'm not endorsing for sure that you will definitely feel it.

If you need a more noticeable improvement and are willing to fork out a little more, consider:

6) Piggy back chips + tuning.

PS: There are differing perspectives on the effectiveness of K&N filters out there that would shed more light on whether it would in fact help much in acceleration. Have a look around and draw your own conclusion from there. 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, deljunks said:

hi,

have you done anything that can improve the pick up and the result?

can advice?

thanks

As previously mentioned, cheap options are to:

1. Ensure your tires are sufficiently inflated. 

2. Reduce unsprung weight for e.g. change to lighter rims. Stock rims are really heavy. 

3. Overall weight reduction for e.g. remove unnecessary items in the car. I know of people who even go to the extent of removing their spare tires. 

4. Install an e-throttle controller.

5. Ensure you're using the recommended type of fuel on your vehicle.

I have only verified 1, 2 and 3 with my unreliable butt-dyno, so don't take my word for it. Try it and if you need more evidence, put the car on a dyno.

A more expensive but reliable option would be:

6) Piggy back chips + tuning.

This option will cost you quite a bit, especially the ones that require hardware mods / upgrades (for e.g. the BRABUS B25S PowerXtra CGI http://www.brabus.com/en/deliver.php?id=6199&filename=W212 B25 S PowerXtra CGI.EN.pdf). No personal experience with this, but I'm inclined to believe the results would be more reliable. Maybe some other W212 owners in the forum who have done this can weigh in further.