• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Mercede E250 W213 Fuel Consumption

jmt510

Thanks, Merc888, for sharing your detailed tests. It confirms for the n-th time that if your car is spec-ed to RON 95, don’t waste money on 98. 

One must also not discount the possibility of placebo effect. Because if you pump 98, you will expect it to be more responsive and hence you go gentler on the paddle, and thereby saving fuel. I’m not saying in Merc888’s study that’s the case. His study is pretty comprehensive. But I have known people who succumb to placebo. A much fairer test would be to go blind pumping. Ask your wife or friend to pump for you, without them telling you what petrol they pumped.

But kudos for sharing an already great study with the W213 owners here! Thanks!

12 hours ago, swissfondue said:

Thanks, Merc888, for sharing your detailed tests. It confirms for the n-th time that if your car is spec-ed to RON 95, don’t waste money on 98. 

One must also not discount the possibility of placebo effect. Because if you pump 98, you will expect it to be more responsive and hence you go gentler on the paddle, and thereby saving fuel. I’m not saying in Merc888’s study that’s the case. His study is pretty comprehensive. But I have known people who succumb to placebo. A much fairer test would be to go blind pumping. Ask your wife or friend to pump for you, without them telling you what petrol they pumped.

But kudos for sharing an already great study with the W213 owners here! Thanks!

Thanks! I am certainly very impressed with your mods to your car! Hopefully we have a good thread going for W213 or E-class in general.

As for the placebo effect, I am aware of it and I do take that into account. This is achievedd by observing my own driving behaviour and speed maintained as very specific stretches of the road that I travelled on. Just a small example, I travel on MCE towards Tuas. Right after i exit the MCE tunnel, there is a nice stretch of flyover above Keppel Road. I will take note of how fast I accelerate to reach either 90km/hr or 100km/hr after the last traffic camera inside the MCE.

That's just one example. So I repeat this over different stretches of the road. I would not say that 95 has parity with 98 in terms of FC. For me, my take is that 98/V Power has a +ve impact on power and therefore one may not need as much fuel as 95 to attain the same acceleration. As such, it is possible that one has a more gentler foot on the pedal. I try to hit a certain signboard by 100km/hr and I do feel (deliberate choice of word since I don't put a pressure gauge on my paddle.) that I have to step harder to reach that speed in 95 vs 98/VPower. But between 98/VPower.... really cannot tell the difference. 

So for best FC, the most important factor is driving behaviour and maintaining a constant speed. Frequent acceleration increases FC and therefore from this perspective, I agree that it makes no difference whether is it 95/98/VPower.

Thanks Merc888., this is encouraging. I am getting my E200 end of year and currently enjoying my W205 in the last 2.5years with very decent FC of around 7 - 8L/100km on the average.

My daily route is halfway across the island on the highway with another 25 - 30% in urban traffic, and am curious how the e200 will perform - not very optimistic with a bigger engine and heavier chassis until I see your post..

Are you usually on Eco mode?

Thanks

9 hours ago, Ivo said:

Thanks Merc888., this is encouraging. I am getting my E200 end of year and currently enjoying my W205 in the last 2.5years with very decent FC of around 7 - 8L/100km on the average.

My daily route is halfway across the island on the highway with another 25 - 30% in urban traffic, and am curious how the e200 will perform - not very optimistic with a bigger engine and heavier chassis until I see your post..

Are you usually on Eco mode?

Thanks

I did try both the Eco and Comfort mode for awhile. I found very little difference in FC. I use the Individual Mode where the Drive is Comfort and the Steering is Sports.

But don't take my word for it. Try it yourself. Driving style is one of the major factors in determining FC.

• 4 months later...
On 10/08/2018 at 9:48 AM, Merc888 said:

I did try both the Eco and Comfort mode for awhile. I found very little difference in FC. I use the Individual Mode where the Drive is Comfort and the Steering is Sports.

But don't take my word for it. Try it yourself. Driving style is one of the major factors in determining FC.

Finally, I start my first tank on the weekend after collecting the car late Dec. Am getting a reading of 8.1l/100Km with 176km travelled so far on the fresh tank. Car is all stock and I am not driving aggressively since it still needs some run in but excited to see the FC I would typically get from the E200 for my route and drive style..

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update, i was able to get 739km on 62L of SPC 95. I am doing my usual average speed of 33Kmh. My C class typically gets 780+ but I am already pretty impressed with the efficiency of the E class having a much more powerful engine and heavier chassis.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Dear all,

I have been reading though this topic. I am considering to upgrade to an E200 from PI. Would like to ask if you all think that the fuel consumption on an average can have at least 10km/L? I am somebody who doesn't like to step hard on accelerator. I always put comfort as top priority. Thanks in advance for all help and input. 

23 minutes ago, Sunnybass said:

Dear all,

I have been reading though this topic. I am considering to upgrade to an E200 from PI. Would like to ask if you all think that the fuel consumption on an average can have at least 10km/L? I am somebody who doesn't like to step hard on accelerator. I always put comfort as top priority. Thanks in advance for all help and input. 

You should easily average out >10km/L

My last reset on my W213 E250 average out 8.9L/100km or 11km/L over >12,000km

On highways & KPE tunnel, I can easily average below 6.5L/100km or >15km/L cruising around between 70kmhr to 90kmhr

My right foot is very light and I drive my car as if there are no brakes.

Braking often means you've to step on the gas often to rev it up to your driving speed

Always cruise on a steady speed according to the traffic conditions, anticipate traffic infront of you,

ease your right foot off the gas pedal without hogging the roads.

For W213 the default setting is C "Comfort" but I usually turn on E "Economy" setting

There're other setting S, S+ and Individual.

In Economy setting, when the car is up at cruising speed & torque, the D icon on your meter turns green and the engine rpm will drops to idling rpm.

You can take your foot off the gas pedal while the car continue to cruise by itself. (It's like cruising in Neutral but all done by the car only in Economy setting)

Other feature will be to turn on the ECO Start/Stop for fuel economy.

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

• 3 months later...
On 11/1/2019 at 2:02 PM, Sunnybass said:

Dear all,

I can second kepiting1sg's view above. Driving a W213 E200 now - 10km / L is not difficult to achieve if you have a good mix of urban and highway driving. PI models may come with stock 17" rims so that will also help with comfort and economy.

24 minutes ago, acetylcholine said:

I can second kepiting1sg's view above. Driving a W213 E200 now - 10km / L is not difficult to achieve if you have a good mix of urban and highway driving. PI models may come with stock 17" rims so that will also help with comfort and economy.

Hahaha 😂 

I downgraded my CnC W213 E250 stock 18” staggered with run flat to 17” rims with cheap & fat 225/55/17” tires. Soft enough for my old arse. Previous W212s that I had, ran 18” AMG to 19” Brabus Monoblok Q to stock 17” I still prefer the 17” personally 

You want heavy feeling the W124 will be best. Taxi uncles will beat you at traffic lights but once you pickup speed on the highway it will be a different animal :)

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)