• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

LTA check CNG/NGT vehicle

tanwill

Hi bro driving W211 NGT.

Currently LTA issued letter to check NGT by 9 Jun 2017.

Mine NGT system not working for the last 4-5 years. How ?

I believed many are in the same situation. I was told that those who failed may be requested to have the system remove (not sure).

cng1.jpg

IMG_6165-FullSizeRender.jpg

Just an update. Had went for the inspection and failed as they cannot test it.

Informed that the system is software disabled and there isnt any CNG gas inside the tank (safe without CNG gas contend, right ?)

They say got to get it working for the test ! Otherwise remove it !

cng2.jpg

Given a list of vendor to remove the NGT system.

Called all of them, all say that original Merc system they cannot do. Must go back to C&C.

Called C&C Pandan, they say original system from Germany, cannot remove. Spoilt just leave it. Very safe.

Remove consider modification. C&C dont do modification.

What the !

cng3.jpg

Update :

Called LTA this morning, seems they have been alert of the Merc NGT situation (seems Chevrolet cars affected too) , and they seems not surprise and well noted.

They arent too sure what they want to do with such a situation but refer to higher up.

On 6/5/2017 at 2:21 PM, tanwill said:

Update :

Called LTA this morning, seems they have been alert of the NGT situation (seems Chevrolet cars affected too) 

They arent too sure what they want to do with such a situation but refer to higher up.

For CNG car owner who fixed their CNG from 3rd party installer, they can fill-up the LTA R18 form and get the CNG remove.

But for car like the NGT, any suggestion(by VICOM?) of removing the CNG system will contradict to the LTA R18 - Para 3 ii.

ii. certification from the CNG system supplier that the CNG system has been removed according to the product manufacturer’s recommendation with sound engineering practice and does not adversely affect the safe operation and/or exhaust emissions characteristics of the vehicle and affected parts on the vehicle (e.g. intake manifold, drilled boot space, etc) are restored to its original condition;

First, Mercedes don't recommend to remove the NGT system as the system is sensor-ed wired to main computer, the car will be disabled if any of the system is detected missing.

Second, the NGT will NOT be consider "original condition" if the system are removed. As it is original built with the CNG system.

My 2 cents worth of Possible Solutions for Permanent Shut-down:

Step 1. Since C&C are the only authorized workshop to shut-down the system safely. Owner can get C&C to permanently shut-down the system and get the invoice for proof.

Step 2: The CNG-intake-port valve can be fill-up with epoxy material, once harden, no way can any cng-dispenser be inserted into the port.

Step 3: LTA can place a temper-proof-security-sticker over the intake-port, to prevent any chance of removing the epoxy. Every year during inspection, this sticker will be checked to ensure it is not tempered with.

Like Bro Tanwill said, LTA is looking into the issue as the current rules are written mostly for 3rd party CNG system. 

Lets gave them sometime to find the solutions.

**Haha, the epoxy idea is from SAF camera hand phone policy, after removing the camera, the empty hole were filled up with epoxy.

2006 W211 MERCEDES E200NGT

On 6/5/2017 at 2:21 PM, tanwill said:

Update :

Called LTA this morning, seems they have been alert of the NGT situation (seems Chevrolet cars affected too) 

since LTA don't have a solution to out NGT, now we just left as it is until LTA come up with a solution?

18 hours ago, east539 said:

since LTA don't have a solution to out NGT, now we just left as it is unitl LTA come up with a solution?

C&C has called to follow-up this morning and checked whether LTA has any response. They reaffirmed that they dont recommend 3rd parties vendor removal of the NGT system and they dont recommend system removal too. Safest is "DON'T Touch!".

Most NGT system can be software/hardware locked, emptied and remain domain. Dont think LTA needs a solution for a domain system. A domain NGT system without natural gas is the safest. Bro iMac's suggestion is a good prevention.

In my layman opinion, they just needs endorsement towards a domain system and educate the user rather.

Anyhow, current situation is as such. Will update when more development.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tanwill said:

C&C has called to follow-up this morning and checked whether LTA has any response. They reaffirmed that they dont recommend 3rd parties vendor removal of the NGT system and they dont recommend system removal too. Safest is "DON'T Touch!".

Most NGT system can be software/hardware locked, emptied and remain domain. Dont think LTA needs a solution for a domain system. A domain NGT system without natural gas is the safest. Bro iMac's suggestion is a good prevention.

In my layman opinion, they just needs endorsement towards a domain system and educate the user rather.

Anyhow, current situation is as such. Will update when more development.

went for inspection yesterday at Vicom, also failed inspection due to system not working, guess i need to email LTA and ask what I should do now.

2 hours ago, tanwill said:

Update :

Received a reminder inspection LTA letter. Called LTA to seek their instruction how to act, they confirmed in-touch with C&C on the issue.

so no need to go for 2nd inspection until further instruction from LTA? 

1 hour ago, east539 said:

went for inspection yesterday at Vicom, also failed inspection due to system not working, guess i need to email LTA and ask what I should do now.

Suggest to email and also call them, they will asked for your license plate number to verify.

1 hour ago, east539 said:

so no need to go for 2nd inspection until further instruction from LTA? 

Thats what i was told by LTA.

Go for 2nd inspection also same result ; unless system is reactivate and pump fresh CNG inside tank, which C&C discourage as its more dangerous than having an empty tank (the concern is leakage, no gas how to leak ?). Also a full system purging will be needed ($500 at C&C).

3 hours ago, tanwill said:

Thats what i was told by LTA.

Go for 2nd inspection also same result ; unless system is reactivate and pump fresh CNG inside tank, which C&C discourage as its more dangerous than having an empty tank (the concern is leakage, no gas how to leak ?). Also a full system purging will be needed ($500 at C&C).

wow, $500 for purging of remaining cng gas?!

For bro here who understand chinese...

http://www.zaobao.com.sg/znews/singapore/story20170610-769992

陆交局强制检查 105辆CNG私家车天然气泄漏

陆交局昨晚受询时透露,截至下午5时30分,共有九成(1476辆)的CNG私家车接受检查或申请拆除CNG装置。

在已接受检查的1363辆私家车中,有105辆被发现CNG泄漏。这些检查不及格的CNG私家车车主须把车子修好后,在指定期限前再到车辆检查中心进行多一次检查。

• 2 weeks later...

HI all,

I am also ngt owner. ngt not working. any update on how to fix this issue from LTA? Just call C&C senior Advisor, He don't recommend removal as it is linked to the entire car system. If die die to remove, the cost is estimated to be $10K+. But will the car work fine after removal???

38 minutes ago, Mysilverhat said:

HI all,

I am also ngt owner. ngt not working. any update on how to fix this issue from LTA? Just call C&C senior Advisor, He don't recommend removal as it is linked to the entire car system. If die die to remove, the cost is estimated to be $10K+. But will the car work fine after removal???

So far no news from LTA.

Yeap, few years back had checked with C&C when my system got locked by the ECU, at that time they also indicated $10K for system removal (think car will have to be down for 60 days too ! maybe they send to Germany !).

But they also indicated that the vehicle is 100% safe and worked perfectly without NGT too (after CNG purged).

*$10K will buy you 5000L @$2/L of petrol and travel 50000km (assuming 1L=10km) !!

15 hours ago, contradanza said:

Just failed the inspection as they detected some leak around the engine bay area. And like others mention, C&C quoted a ridiculous amount to repair the system which I highly doubt they have experience to find and fix the leak

Don't worry, C&C's mechanics are trained to repair and test the NGT system.

C&C is more worry for the safety of their NGT than you... their reputation and dealership is at stake here.

If you are not using the NGT anymore, why not let C&C purge the tanks & shut it down?

5 hours ago, contradanza said:

Will LTA accept even after purging the tanks? Getting LTA off our backs is the most important issue

Dont know.

You know how LTA works.

Let them satisfied their own finding first. 

So far no update. Just keep all the relevant documents which pertain to the the issue in case its needed in future..