• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Finally got myself a benz

JSnoob

Update on my mileage. Current mileage from full tank is at 265km. Fuel needle is below half tank mark but still quite far from quarter mark. Will update again soon.

Car feels more energetic and pick up is smoother. Will wait till tank is empty to give a final total. Stay tuned. ;)

Update on mileage of my W124 200E.

Did not manage to finish my tank cos i had to go JB to attend to a matter. So took the opportunity to pump full again. This round i filled my tank after all my current gadgets had been installed, in particular 1pc cyclone 3, epower system and one bottle of X-1R friction reducer. After running about 70km, the needle is now roughly where it was when i topped up my first tankful. I guess it was not really full then..which may mean, my mileage achieved was actually higher than i first believed it to be. So I'll start my actual FC monitoring from this current tankful.

Hopefully i get to complete a full circle this round. Then I'll share what's the final total mileage of one full tank. I guess my whole purpose is to prove that even our COE cars with much more ancient technologies can still achieve decent FC, instead of sucking our pockets dry with its rumored petrol guzzling appetite.

There's still hope yet. ;)

2017-03-07-20-42-42.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Is those Epower charger thingy just introduce some small vacuum leakage, which will introduce  small amount of unmetered air in &  create a lean condition?

Typically lean fuel/air mixture will give more low end torque ..however, it will raise the engine temperature & if too lean, it may cause other engine problem (eg knocking, detonation ).. Modern engine ECU may compensate this lean condition via the long term fuel trim (adding more fuel), when it reaches +25%, it will set a code ..not sure about older engine..

7 hours ago, catfish said:

Hi,

Is those Epower charger thingy just introduce some small vacuum leakage, which will introduce  small amount of unmetered air in &  create a lean condition?

Typically lean fuel/air mixture will give more low end torque ..however, it will raise the engine temperature & if too lean, it may cause other engine problem (eg knocking, detonation ).. Modern engine ECU may compensate this lean condition via the long term fuel trim (adding more fuel), when it reaches +25%, it will set a code ..not sure about older engine..

Hi bro catfish...thanks for your question. Honestly i can only say, I don't know as I'm not a mechanic or claim to have alot of knowledge about the physics of the matter, so i cannot carry a debate on it. I can only share my experience using this gadgets, hopefully other MB owners who have been trying to better their mileage achieved, can benefit from my sharing. 

As in my recent posts, i mentioned i was going to monitor my car's FC from this tankful. So far i hv been very happy with the FC. My current odometer reading for this tankful is 134 km at just slightly below 3/4 tank marking.

For my previous FC before epower n cyclone 3, and X-1R friction reducer, i was hitting 180-200 km at half tank. I also shared that perhaps the fuel gauge is not accurate cos for my earlier full tanks, the fuel gauge did not point at 1/1 mark but roughly middle of between 3/4-1/1.

That being said, i am hopeful that for this tankful onwards, i can achieve between 250-300 when needle points at half tank. And of course, my target is possibly above 500km per full tank.

I will continue to share my findings with fellow MB owners here. Lets all get better FC from our old machines. Cheers!

2017-03-08-20-12-26.jpg

Hi folks n fellow MB 200E owners,

Checked my mileage this morning after reaching my workplace. So far i hv done 179 km and my fuel needle has still some distance before i reach half tank mark. Car feels energetic and driving smoothly. Past 24 hrs, i had been driving pretty much in the city, so could not maintain a constant speed of 80-90 kph.

Will i reach my target of 250km at half tank? I will let you all know, when i reach there.

IMG_20170310_075055.jpg

My next concept i would like to share is on changing the exhaust silencer or muffler (both terms refer to the same item). The silencer helps to lower engine noise and lower fuel consumption at the same time.

If your car is well past its tenth year of running and it has over 200k on its mileage, it may be time to replace the silencer, if it had never been replaced before. Older silencers would no longer be effective in reducing engine noise, but might even add to the noise, as the insides of the silencer has all been oxidized. If your car's exhaust silencer had never been replaced, and you got a good quality silencer installed, you could see an improvement in FC up to 5% right away. Of course, your driving style also plays a major role. 

Screenshot_2017-03-10-08-33-23-407_com.android.browser.png

Screenshot_2017-03-10-08-42-54-684_com.android.browser.png

This morning i reached half tank mark and so i checked my mileage, it was 235 km. Hv to see total mileage when tank reaches empty, but I can accept this for now. My next addition isn't due yet till after the next tankful.

IMG_20170311_060801.jpg

Today is a rather busy day with short trips within the city. Distance covered is not much but its gonna pull down my FC abit. 

I wonder how many fellow MB 200E owners have upgraded their rims from the original 15" that came with the ride? Its a given that there's a sacrifice to be done if we don the larger rims. There's also a benefit to it.

The sacrifice is the ride comfort which is the pillar stone of all MB cars. There's something else to remember with using the larger rims...suspension, armbush and related parts which may be subject to more stress and quicker wear n tear.

On the other hand, FC may improve and the sheer joy of experiencing the slight performance boost, if any.

FC may improve because for the same RPM, you will travel at a faster speed. And if you just keep to your regular speed, you only need to depress the accelerator that much less.

Among key info necessary to consider when switching to larger rims, you need to ensure the new rims has the same PCD as your current ones. PCD is specified in your car model specifications.

For W124 200E, the PCD is 5 x 112.

Hope this helps all my fellow MB 200E owners here.

Hi folks, just to update you all, my fuel needle is positioned at just a whisker under 1/4 tank and so far I've clocked 370 km. Not record breaking, i know..it shows that there are still some more measures that can be taken. Lets just see how it pans out to the end, when the amber bulb stays lighted. I'm hoping it can cross 450 km. 

• Like 1

Today my fuel needle reached last marking but amber bulb still not lighted. Mileage is now at 429 km. I reckon i might be able to squeeze all the way to 450 km but I'll only know it tonight after my work.

Next on my to-do list, is replacing my silencer. I reckon that will have a better impact than other measures i already outlined earlier. 

Regarding the epower system i installed, please don't misunderstand. The benefits of that system is not realized over such a short span like 1-2 tankfuls. It kinda grows on you, actually. You'll realize over the weeks and many tankfuls, that your mileage had grown significantly. For example, if this tankful got me 430km now, 2-3 months later, my mileage might be 450-460...and so on. I get the impression epower does not want you to drive in a sedate manner, but in a spirited manner. Only then, will results will present itself satisfactorily.

IMG_20170314_064152.jpg

2 minutes ago, keltanky said:

jia you. , maybe got to see if your original silencer is a straight thru.

Thanks! I'll try n check when I'm on my rest days. Btw, did you say you managed 500km per tankful? Was it like that from the start? Did you go through different gadgets too, like i am doing? How was your journey like? Which idea or method contributed the greatest gains?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSnoob said:

Thanks! I'll try n check when I'm on my rest days. Btw, did you say you managed 500km per tankful? Was it like that from the start? Did you go through different gadgets too, like i am doing? How was your journey like? Which idea or method contributed the greatest gains?

nope not from the start, also went thru the journey....

6 minutes ago, JSnoob said:

Thanks! What's your experience like? Are you happy with your car FC?

Oops..scratch that..with a W212 e250, your FC shouldn't be too bad, rite. ;) Anyway its a journey for me, and i hope my sharing helps everyone get better FC for their rides.

My target is to consistently hit 550 km or more per tankful. I believe its possible with the right tools. Stay tuned...Cheers!

Ok I've arranged to have my car undergo a decarbonization n throttle body wash within next few days. I reckon there must be so much sludge n carbon that it robs me in terms of fc n performance. Will update again soon.

Btw, there's an old video clip on YouTube titled 200e vs a whole string of w124 models showing 0-100 kph n 0-150 kph. Apparently our beloved 200e could do the century sprint in like 8.7 seconds. Much better than quite alot of cars these days...

1 hour ago, keltanky said:

well some times old car needs some amount of carbon to be able to work... 

cannot be don't too clean... 

Haha.. Okay bro keltanky, I'll try to ask the service provider not to do total clean job. ;) Just kidding lah..i reckon a car engine isn't quite the same as our human body. The more sludge n carbon deposits there are, the poorer our beloved will fare. For purpose of understanding it better, a comparison with our human body in certain respects may help.

A sick person with much fatty deposits n too high bad cholesterol may likely experience shortness of breath climbing 2 storeys of stairways but after he gets all his bad cholesterol out, he might just be able to do 10 storeys before raising a sweat.

A car engine with all sludge n carbon deposits cleaned out, would likely drive like when it was just out of the automotive plant.

I may be wrong to correlate with our human bodies but in some ways, the similarities are compelling. 

On 3/14/2017 at 0:18 PM, JSnoob said:

Oops..scratch that..with a W212 e250, your FC shouldn't be too bad, rite. ;) Anyway its a journey for me, and i hope my sharing helps everyone get better FC for their rides.

My target is to consistently hit 550 km or more per tankful. I believe its possible with the right tools. Stay tuned...Cheers!

haha... I dun really monitor the FC... I'm quite lead footed... I think 1 tank can get around 500km from full to the light up. 60% City - 40% Highway

3 hours ago, F&F said:

haha... I dun really monitor the FC... I'm quite lead footed... I think 1 tank can get around 500km from full to the light up. 60% City - 40% Highway

Oic..haha..i guess i tend to be conscious about getting maximum mileage for my petrol..its the monitoring and constantly improving my score that drives me..keeps me 'busy' looking at aftermarket automotive products.

Another area of concern would be the 'noisy-ness' of my car..especially when i floor my pedal, i think my engine does give alot of grunt. Lol.

I'm looking into some sound proofing materials, so i can turn my car into my private quiet sanctuary ;) with great FC n ICE too! There's still much to be done to transform it, but a small step at a time.