• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Screeching brakes on reverse.

SUV-Lover

Nope. It's not resolved. My friend's E Class had the same sound even when driving forward once in a while when he hits the brakes.

According to some workshop, they say because it's Brembo Brakes that Merc uses that causes this sound. 

4 hours ago, Benson said:

Am hesitant if I should purchase the GLC having heard that it still not resolve. Any Bros here got any advice as I suppose not all GLC from CnC will have this screeching brake issue? Will be very Sian if my purchase end up having this "unsolvable issue"

My CnC unit so far about 2k km no such brake screeching. Mine is 2017 production and AMG Line.

Read in overseas forum that this issue resolved with a new brake pad (new compound) that MB replaces under warranty. So far what I read are that those who have theirs replaced no longer complains about it, good sign. 

I have confidence that CnC cannot run from the responsibility to correct such warranty issue since they simply claim the cost from MB. Not sure about PI though. Caveat Emptor. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

I have been driving the GLC for slightly more than a year with 20k KM. Have the same issue after 5k KM and noticed it screeches when the brakes were hot and the matter had been brought to the attention of Pandan workshop. It behaves normal and quiet when the brakes have cooled down. The AMG model on the other hand, seems doing fine so far after hearing from 2 of my friends in Malaysia.

Till today, with my unit the screeching problem still exist especially on the front brake (during reverse) despite both front and rear pads had been changed by C&C over the past few months (which they claimed were the new improved pads).

Car was further sent in to have the video taken about 4 weeks ago and afterwards sent to Germany for study and to convince the engineers that the new pads do have the same issue.

Guess what, today Pandan has informed nothing could be done further until the pads are worn out and C&C would replace a new set FOC or when a new solution is found (whichever comes first). Which means one has to endure the sound for another 30k - 40k KM or at least 2 years of driving?

Nevertheless, am negotiating for compensation over the poor quality and am demanding to be provided additional service credit. If nothing works with C&C, the next step is to escalate to Germany to demand a solution.

Rather disappointed with Mercedes' engineering!!

I guess our voice would be heard if the GLC community writes in as one voice to express our grievances.

Any feedback or comment is welcome.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zemin said:

Hi there

I have been driving the GLC for slightly more than a year with 20k KM. Have the same issue after 5k KM and noticed it screeches when the brakes were hot and the matter had been brought to the attention of Pandan workshop. It behaves normal and quiet when the brakes have cooled down. The AMG model on the other hand, seems doing fine so far after hearing from 2 of my friends in Malaysia.

Till today, with my unit the screeching problem still exist especially on the front brake (during reverse) despite both front and rear pads had been changed by C&C over the past few months (which they claimed were the new improved pads).

Car was further sent in to have the video taken about 4 weeks ago and afterwards sent to Germany for study and to convince the engineers that the new pads do have the same issue.

Guess what, today Pandan has informed nothing could be done further until the pads are worn out and C&C would replace a new set FOC or when a new solution is found (whichever comes first). Which means one has to endure the sound for another 30k - 40k KM or at least 2 years of driving?

Nevertheless, am negotiating for compensation over the poor quality and am demanding to be provided additional service credit. If nothing works with C&C, the next step is to escalate to Germany to demand a solution.

Rather disappointed with Mercedes' engineering!!

I guess our voice would be heard if the GLC community writes in as one voice to express our grievances.

Any feedback or comment is welcome.

I think not all units will be hit by this problem. Wondering does the lemon law applies in this case and return the car back to CnC? Ya right man, we should gather a community for all those hit with this issue. Perhaps you wana take the lead and see which Bro & Sis can tag along?

Hi All,

Some update. I just received a call from CnC. My Service Manager, who have been very helpful following up on my case, says that they have a new brake metal. Ask me to return to workshop for replacement. 

I believe they know the problem and are trying to resolve it. I have make appointment for next week to replace brake. 

Will update. 

Regards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SUV-Lover said:

Hi All,

Some update. I just received a call from CnC. My Service Manager, who have been very helpful following up on my case, says that they have a new brake metal. Ask me to return to workshop for replacement. 

I believe they know the problem and are trying to resolve it. I have make appointment for next week to replace brake. 

Will update. 

Regards.

Hi, thanks for the update but what do you mean by brake metal? ? you mean the brake pads or  brake caliper metal components or rotors?

6 minutes ago, VRAtenza said:

Hi, thanks for the update but what do you mean by brake metal? ? you mean the brake pads or  brake caliper metal components or rotors?

Good question. I also don't know. I just repeat what he says over the phone call. I am a nerd on car parts. Maybe he referring to the brake disc. (Is there a disc in our braking system?) 

Let you know after the change next week. Cheers.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2017 at 7:59 AM, Benson said:

I think not all units will be hit by this problem. Wondering does the lemon law applies in this case and return the car back to CnC? Ya right man, we should gather a community for all those hit with this issue. Perhaps you wana take the lead and see which Bro & Sis can tag along?

Sure, please drop a mail to my personal email and we could decide the next steps.

[email protected]  

Hi all,

I have this same noise issue during reverse. 

C&C first cleaned the brake pads...but noise returns...

Then they changed the brake pads....noise still returns after 2nd day....

Then they insert a shim plate....noise still there...

Now they insert another shim plate...its the 4th day now and I am monitoring....

Can you image my frustration to send my barely 3 months old car in to C&C for so many times....

41 minutes ago, GLTAN said:

Hi all,

I have this same noise issue during reverse. 

C&C first cleaned the brake pads...but noise returns...

Then they changed the brake pads....noise still returns after 2nd day....

Then they insert a shim plate....noise still there...

Now they insert another shim plate...its the 4th day now and I am monitoring....

Can you image my frustration to send my barely 3 months old car in to C&C for so many times....

Is yours the non-AMG Line GLC?

1 hour ago, Benson said:

Just wondering is there a diff btwn AMG vs non-AMG line for that annoying issue?

AMG Line has different rotors that are cross drilled ventilated. The brake calipers are different in size and shape. The AMG Line calipers have "Mercedes Benz" letterings printed. 

I suspect there might be a difference in piston numbers or size. 

The brake pads likely to be different as well. 

So far feedback seem to suggest that those with AMG Line brakes seem to have escaped the dreaded reverse screech.

Therefore I am asking to to get and idea. 

resized-20160422150343402.jpg.022c31390c591875dc8514703b1df3a8.jpg20160908_175032.thumb.jpg.52f55b703996ce98d8caeb5caab1ba3d.jpg

mercedes-benz-glc-class_x253_638_48992_5doublespoke_19inch_detail_715x230_07-2015.jpg

4 minutes ago, Benson said:

I see... Ya yr assumption does make sense.... but I read online the GLC43 come with AMG as standard also encounter such issue. If really AMG brake kit can solve the issue then those bought from CnC ones shld change the entire brake kit to AMG FOC!! 😤 

Overseas forum also reflected that changing to new compound brake pads worked but seem like at least a few of our local guys are not as fortunate despite going through a few brake pad change. 

I am guessing that the brake pad material glazed over when heated causing the screech when applied to the smooth rotor surface. For the cars with cross drilled rotors, the holes on rotors might scrape the glazed surface to break them up resulting in less screeching?

I do get alot of brake dust in exchange though. 

Tks for highlighting this!

Very timely and important consideration.

I hope the incoming cars have had this sorted out.

Indeed very embarrasing for a new car to have these problems. It's a mechanical issue, not some complex electronics. Furthernore is a well know marquee brand.

10 hours ago, Benson said:

I see... Ya yr assumption does make sense.... but I read online the GLC43 come with AMG as standard also encounter such issue. If really AMG brake kit can solve the issue then those bought from CnC ones shld change the entire brake kit to AMG FOC!! 😤 

Mine is non-AMG and I have the same thought that the AMG brake kit is the solution to the issue. I fully agree that if C&C still cannot solve the issue, they should change the entire brake kit to AMG. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2017 at 2:08 PM, SUV-Lover said:

Good question. I also don't know. I just repeat what he says over the phone call. I am a nerd on car parts. Maybe he referring to the brake disc. (Is there a disc in our braking system?) 

Let you know after the change next week. Cheers.

Hi fellow GLC owners,

I just got back my ride from CnC. According to the Service Manager, they replace a plate (not the brake lining or brake disc). He claims that they found this plate is the culprit that is making the screeching sound. 

True enough, on my ride back after this change, totally no more noise, both forward and reverse braking. 

Hope this is permanent solution to this embarrassing issue. 

I am happy now, at least don't have to hide my face when parking in the car park. 

Thanks Service Team in CnC Alexandra

1 hour ago, SUV-Lover said:

Hi fellow GLC owners,

I just got back my ride from CnC. According to the Service Manager, they replace a plate (not the brake lining or brake disc). He claims that they found this plate is the culprit that is making the screeching sound. 

True enough, on my ride back after this change, totally no more noise, both forward and reverse braking. 

Hope this is permanent solution to this embarrassing issue. 

I am happy now, at least don't have to hide my face when parking in the car park. 

Thanks Service Team in CnC Alexandra

I suppose this is the same shim plate I was told by my service adviser....let's monitor our rides and hope its THE solution. 

16 hours ago, GLTAN said:

I suppose this is the same shim plate I was told by my service adviser....let's monitor our rides and hope its THE solution. 

I read that you had shim plates replaced twice? Both times the shim plates are different? Weird that they retry a solution that failed if they are the same exact shim plates. 

How's your ride so far? 

7 hours ago, VRAtenza said:

I read that you had shim plates replaced twice? Both times the shim plates are different? Weird that they retry a solution that failed if they are the same exact shim plates. 

How's your ride so far? 

I didn't probe further if they replace or added the shim plate....anyway so far so good...coming to a week....

4 hours ago, GLTAN said:

I didn't probe further if they replace or added the shim plate....anyway so far so good...coming to a week....

Good to hear that potentially your problem can finally be solved. Must have been very frustrating, I know I will feel so.