• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Screeching brakes on reverse.

SUV-Lover

I believe they are talking about another issue... Not exactly screeching sound but juddering and clonking of the tyres on a full lock turn at low speed.

I have been reading and just wondering how come no local drivers complain about this issue yet... 

My car is coming in feb/mar, I really hope the issues face by the UK right hand driven merc only affects the car at low operating temperature and not in our climate.

On 14/01/2017 at 0:15 AM, flyboy744 said:

I believe they are talking about another issue... Not exactly screeching sound but juddering and clonking of the tyres on a full lock turn at low speed.

I have been reading and just wondering how come no local drivers complain about this issue yet... 

My car is coming in feb/mar, I really hope the issues face by the UK right hand driven merc only affects the car at low operating temperature and not in our climate.

My GLC have this wheels(rear) problem as you describe. Is a Pi car. The rear brakes calipers oso seems to be lock/jam when I move off. It happen after I parked my car over a few hrs after washing. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, flyboy744 said:

Does your car sound like this.... 

http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Brake-noise-not-giving-drivers-neighbors-a-break-409203385.html

It seems that this GLC is giving a of of owners headache.....

Yes. Mine sounded 100% similar to this video. It is very ambrassing when you try parking on reverse and the sound come out. Is not soft but loud screeching sound on the rear brakes.

I got my GLC back to CnC and they replaced the brake pads. Now is better but still have slight screeching sound but not so frequent.

I reported again to CnC, and the service manager says they will contact Germany to see if there is a permanent cure to this problem. 

I really hope that the sound is now due to new pads and will go away after running in. 

Good to know CnC is responding to this embarrassing ailment. I suppose that's why we paid a premium for getting cars from them, they jolly well be responsible for any issues we faced. 

Can you kindly update this forum on the outcome after CnC notified Germany.

Interesting to hear from those guys who bought from PI... Do you face the same problem? If yes, what was being done?

Waiting to see what the car maker has to say about this issue after claiming that the clonking and juddering of the full lock turn is a comfort issue and not a safety Isuse and thus no further action required for that problem(what a bloody lame response!!).

3 hours ago, flyboy744 said:

Good to know CnC is responding to this embarrassing ailment. I suppose that's why we paid a premium for getting cars from them, they jolly well be responsible for any issues we faced. 

Can you kindly update this forum on the outcome after CnC notified Germany.

Interesting to hear from those guys who bought from PI... Do you face the same problem? If yes, what was being done?

Waiting to see what the car maker has to say about this issue after claiming that the clonking and juddering of the full lock turn is a comfort issue and not a safety Isuse and thus no further action required for that problem(what a bloody lame response!!).

Hi Flyboy,

If you google online forum, there are also oversea owners reporting on this matter. Link here: http://mbworld.org/forums/glc-class-x253/621420-screeching-brakes-glc.html. It is same as what I encountered. 

In fact CnC at Alexander was very helpful. The service manager, Nick, took the trouble to test drive the car until he found the sound, as it was intermittent. Make another appointment to leave car with them for few days while I was on vacation.

Will update on outcome of any issues following this. This few days, my GLC is behaving better. Not like a  screaming pig about to be slaughtered. 

BTW, did you get your GLC coupe already? How long was the wait? Mine GLC booked in Feb, delivered in July 2016, about 5 months wait. 

That's good to know. CnC customer service has always been quite good.

But if the problem is beyond them, which I am afraid it might be the case, it will be a unpleasant blemish to own this wonderful car.

I ordered my car in late Dec when the car was launched, car coming in Feb/mar, date not confirmed yet, but was told the car is on the way already.

I have such issue both on my ML w163 and GLC 300 and I resolved it by relubricating the brake pads. It happenes to me only when the brakes are very hot

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

@SUV-Lover 

It's a brake lubrication between the brake Pads and brake shims, with brake lube 

i am in the us so I always DIY on my ML 55 and GLC300

it won't affect braking performance 

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2005/ic80560.htm

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

@Odessus well yes, I am still in the US.

need to ask u about rims someday.

On 02/02/2017 at 3:56 PM, Odessus said:

But as a point for discussion @flyboy744, is it acceptable for an authorized dealer to say the problem is beyond them?

Is not a matter of acceptability by the AD here in Singapore. It's known that consumer protection here is in a dismay state. Lemon Law....my foot!

Look at how MB UK responded to the issue of the full lock turn issue, they gave a bureaucratic reply of 'not a safety issue but a comfort issue' and brush the whole matter aside. At least in the states where the consumers are king, some of the owners manage to bring a successful class suit against the AD there. I cannot fathom that will ever happen in Singapore.

If it's an inherent design flaw that is causing all these problems, rest assure that CnC(which is only a distributor) can do jack shit to solve the problems. Trust me, I m speaking from experience, I had so much issues with the B class b4 that I got rid of the car after owning for  just 1 year when they couldn't solve my car stalling issue(mind you, I bought brand new)

Anyway, to give credits to CnC management, I did highlight all these issues to them and they are willing to void the sales order if I m not comfortable to proceed.  This is the reason why I  m soliciting all feedback and reviews about the GLC before I really commit to the car. 

Is a pity this forum is not as active and participative as what I expect to be such that if there are really genuine issues, we are nothing but loose sand and can't do anything about it.

Ok... Enough ranting while waiting for my kids..

Cheers!

I was one of the pioneer batch of b class owners.... It was such a badly design car in terms of engine efficiency that the car actually stalled on me 3 times. It was a known issue in other countries as well. 

The German engineers came n check but can't do shit as the problem was that fuel emission was so lean in order to be efficient. So the solution was drive only in non comfort mode and they tuned up my idle rpm and increased my fuel consumption! You called that a solution! I was furious, I couldn't wait to get rid of the damn car.... Perhaps the later b class cars are better in design.

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, GLC250 Newbie said:

hi all - any updates on this? no matter how many times i've gone to the shop (Optima Werkz) to replace my brakes (both discs and pads), the noise always seems to come back.

now they want to try new ceramic brakes, but will take a few months for them to be imported. 

Ceramic brakes??? Meaning?? Change the whole brake system?? 

For those bought from C n C, changing to ceramic bake (dust free) means giving up warranty on brake pad by AD. I had also wanting to change to see if the screeching sound can be eliminated permanently, certainly embarrassing to the max with such new car.