• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Foul smell when aircon is on.

FacelessX

likely condensation causing mould an mildew build up, drive on the expressways for 10 minutes, heater on full, fan on full and air circulation off, windows open for a few days.

if it doesnt help then likely is refrigerant leak or worse decomposing animals, :(

36 minutes ago, joecamel said:

likely condensation causing mould an mildew build up, drive on the expressways for 10 minutes, heater on full, fan on full and air circulation off, windows open for a few days.

if it doesnt help then likely is refrigerant leak or worse decomposing animals, :(

+1

If you park underground, don't see much sun, or in a moist area, this can happen.

You have to leave the car in the sun for a few days and also drive with the blower on high for the next few weeks, and if that doesn't work, get the piping cleaned, so you don't breath in the mould.. 

Sometimes insects and such also die inside, especially if you haven't use the car for a long while.. good luck bro..

Just now, petetherock said:

I don't know about that bro.. it may just mean you breath in the Dettol fumes.. I think it's better to get to the root of the issue..

its not the scrub toilet kind....  i spray on the passenger mat.. the fume should be okay ba....

http://www.dettol.co.uk/products/disinfecting-sprays/dettol-all-in-one-disinfectant-spray/

On 08/01/2017 at 9:14 AM, FacelessX said:

Hi Fellow bros.

Would like to check if anyone has any solution for this. 

Whenever I start my car especially in the morning, I'll experience this foul smell (Soury smell) from my aircon and sometime when my car is not started after a couple of hours. I'll surface this issues also. 

Sour smell is due to your clogged filter. Change it and it will be gone. Simple DIY method

"Bacteria smell" is due to clogged condensor. Remove filter and spray dettol aerosol directly into fan motor and condenser. Circulate for 5 mins. Smell will be gone after that.

Method proven after performing on my C,E and S class

4 hours ago, solar said:

Try spraying dettol before starting the car.. it helps.

The antisceptic vapor get circulated from the cabin back into the filter and ac system and it helps to kill the smell and bacteria.

Filter need to be removed before you spray the dettol

Otherwise no matter how much dettol you spray is useless as all recirculate and get trapped in the filter again.

Removing filter allows the dettol vapour to purge the internal aircond system, including condensor, fan blade/motor, air vents, and finally the cabin upholstery

Any pictorial guide to locate these filters?

On 1/13/2017 at 11:54 PM, j888 said:

Filter need to be removed before you spray the dettol

Otherwise no matter how much dettol you spray is useless as all recirculate and get trapped in the filter again.

Removing filter allows the dettol vapour to purge the internal aircond system, including condensor, fan blade/motor, air vents, and finally the cabin upholstery