• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Tips when buying a preowned C200

dkyl

Hi,

Common problem on 7yr+ W204 are :

1.Scroll wheel/jog stick not functioning .. on the car radio & try to rotate the scroll wheel & check whether radio channel can be changed (locate next to gear knob)

2. Rear light cluster connector melt  - Switch on the position light, ask someone to observe from behind , whether any sign of one side light dimmer than another, try pressing the brake too .Go to rear boots, open up the black light cover & eyeball check, whether any burn/melt sign on connector

3. Headlight switch - common to develop intermittent issues .. ensure all mode, including front/rear fog light is working .

4.For some reason, W204 is very common for those small T10 position light burnout ..

5 Headlight cluster .. wire inside disintegrated ..  (usually ppl just change a new light cluster)

5. Go to MSCP to test drive ... turn around the MSCP from level 1 to level 2 ...  . & check whether any knocking noise on under carriage ... common for control arm /swaylink failure at that age .. 

6.Engine compartment, and below car, look for any sign of fluid/oil leaking  (besides air cond condensation water, which is normal) .. 

7. Crank the engine when engine is cool, make sure no abnormal noise .. (eg high pitch , or helicopter noise)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. Also how do I know if the vehicle is C&C or PI? I know one way is to identify the C&C logo and sticker in the vehicle, but I believed these can be "fake". Checking with C&C is the safest, but I was thinking of there's easier/less hassle way?

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:44 AM, catfish said:

Hi,

Actually a very simple way to have a quick glance,  whether car is C&C or PI is comparing the OMV with similar spec/year.

PI's OMV typically few thousands lower..  & delta is very obvious.. 

PI's OMV can actually be higher, why?

Because PI's bring in unit without modifications, whereas most AD will installed radios, GPS etc etc locally

I am not saying PI is better, just that this is what is noticed, for example, my 2014 W205 C200 OMV via PI is about 42K, the same avant-garde model by AD I saw online in onemotoring.com.sg shows OMV 37K

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:44 AM, catfish said:

• 2 weeks later...

Actually there are always risk when u buy a 2nd hand car. I bought a yr2010 c180k. After 6 mths, ecu up lorry. Now after 9 mths, when air con is turn on, can hear aeroplane sound. Guess going to spend money on repair again. Haiz..

Any bro can advise what is the cheapest way of rectifying the aeroplane sound from air con compressor? Do i have to change the whole compressor or can i just change the bearings in the compressor? 

1 hour ago, catfish said:

Hi gskc,

What kind of aeroplane noise when air con is on? mine always whine when drive under low speed, but air-cond still running cold... .. 

Yes. Same thing. Whining sound. Just like when aeroplane just took off sound. Very irritating. But when aircon is switch off, the sound cut off immediately. Very sure is the sound from the aircon compressor. Air con is still cold though. 

1 hour ago, catfish said:

Yah, heard this Air-cond whining sound is quite 'common' .. almost happen in all W204... but I can't confirm that .. 

Yes. It happened to my w204 too. The sound gets louder with acceleration and is caused by the bearings in the air con compressor. Had mine replaced when it was still under warranty.

14 hours ago, gskc said:
20 hours ago, catfish said:

Hi paladin, so does it solve the whining sound after u replaced the bearings? 

Cnc took care of it. Dont know if they changed the entire compressor or the bearing only. B4 i went back to cnc, i went to autobac first n was told the compressor had to be changed.

In theory, u just need to change the bearing, but I doubt any workshop in singapore willing to do.. as profit margin not high enough..   

Typical response from those air-cond guy is, compressor spoilt, need to change, cost $1k+ ...

I thinking cheapest route is to get the compressor from stockist, & ask the air cond repair man to install..   

• 4 months later...

Dear all, not sure if this is the right place to post. I seek some advice from experts here. I am looking to get a C180 with ard 2.5-3yrs left. May i know if the kompressor or the CGI is better in terms of reliability? And also at what mileage should a major servicing be done? Thank you all.

• Like 1