• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Sudden surge in speed when moving off using Comfort drive

dcaaa

Guys.  When moving off from D1 to D2 under comfort drive. I had experienced a sudden surge in speed twice since 10/4 when I step on my accelerator gently. Second was today. It only happened when I park my car after a short while and when I started to move again. 

Has any of the bro/sis here experience such a scenario on the W246 before? I feel I should very dangerous as what if there is a car in front of me and I can't react in time. 

Is there any pass issue on this gearbox for the W246 B class model?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is the computer makes a wrong guess of the gear. You might want to see whether there is any software update for your gearbox. Update it if there is. It's a common problem for MCT or DCT gearbox, no perfect solution.

In the mean time, lighter foot during cold start if you don't like this sudden surge of speed.

On 06/10/2016 at 5:10 PM, dcaaa said:

Guys.  When moving off from D1 to D2 under comfort drive. I had experienced a sudden surge in speed twice since 10/4 when I step on my accelerator gently. Second was today. It only happened when I park my car after a short while and when I started to move again. 

Has any of the bro/sis here experience such a scenario on the W246 before? I feel I should very dangerous as what if there is a car in front of me and I can't react in time. 

Is there any pass issue on this gearbox for the W246 B class model?

I experience this many time, and yes is 7-DCT.  I spoke with the technician, he said "never hear of such problem".  So i google and founf many cases reported in USA MB, esp for CLA and B.  So i guess is common.

Now that j888 mentioned " Just warm up engine for 30s until rpm drop to 700 then move off ", Thanks! i will give it a try.

me too... 3 mths old B series, same problem. Experience it 2-3 times per mth and same as TS, usually after moving off from carpark in the morning, Sent to C&C before, they say cant find anything wrong. Think is a common problem.

Got one thread on this problem too.. One bro here written to C&C , dun know what is the outcome..

So in the mean time has to try the warm up engine for 30s method and see how...

Sorry to hijack this thread, anyone driving w212 facelift model experiencing after cold start on 'R' gear while holding on the brakes, the gas being step on its own multiple times but one low revs....

Anyone encountered it before and know whats the problem behind it ?

10 minutes ago, petetherock said:

I wonder if this kind of surge can cause that accident of the lady who dived into the SG river? 

I dun think so cos the surge is only say 1m and usually stepping the brakes immediately will solve. BUT when the surge happens, maybe the lady driver shocked that it happened and in panic , step on the wrong pedal ie: accelerator.

23 minutes ago, divads said:

I dun think so cos the surge is only say 1m and usually stepping the brakes immediately will solve. BUT when the surge happens, maybe the lady driver shocked that it happened and in panic , step on the wrong pedal ie: accelerator.

Yes, I think that could be it actually.. it may have gone a little faster than she expected, and in her panic, she stepped on the wrong pedal..  of course you won't get Merc coming out to admit such things..  

5 hours ago, petetherock said:

Yes, I think that could be it actually.. it may have gone a little faster than she expected, and in her panic, she stepped on the wrong pedal..  of course you won't get Merc coming out to admit such things..  

so at least we know there is this problem so we wun panic... just step on brake will do...

1 hour ago, Pocket_Rocket said:

Hey guys,

Here is an update of sudden surge of my car:

• CnC updated my transmission and so far so good
  • Gear change felt better

If possible, call CnC and report your case so that they could have a list and call you up for the update if they have it for your vehicle. 

urs is what model? mine is B180

I've just come across a scary experience when driving my GLA along SLE this afternoon. There was slight traffic jam and go on at a very slow go and stop traffic. When cruising at 2nd gear and my right leg was at the brake pedal standing by, then the car suddenly accelerated by itself, rpm 3k plus. I jammed brake just in time if not kiss the vehicle infront. 1st time came across like that. My eco start stop was off at that time. As my car is self imported therefore went to the warranty workshop. As normal, no error code detected. The gearbox and engine software are the latest. Only done a reboot on the gearbox and hopefully can cure the issue. After rebooting, the gear seems smoother and the response better than previously.

12 hours ago, johnphua said:

I've just come across a scary experience when driving my GLA along SLE this afternoon. There was slight traffic jam and go on at a very slow go and stop traffic. When cruising at 2nd gear and my right leg was at the brake pedal standing by, then the car suddenly accelerated by itself, rpm 3k plus. I jammed brake just in time if not kiss the vehicle infront. 1st time came across like that. My eco start stop was off at that time. As my car is self imported therefore went to the warranty workshop. As normal, no error code detected. The gearbox and engine software are the latest. Only done a reboot on the gearbox and hopefully can cure the issue. After rebooting, the gear seems smoother and the response better than previously.

that is exactly what happened to my A200. sudden acceleration of our vehicles. seems like its affecting models with the same 1.6 engine and gearbox - facelift version.

7 hours ago, routey said:

that is exactly what happened to my A200. sudden acceleration of our vehicles. seems like its affecting models with the same 1.6 engine and gearbox - facelift version.

One of my GLA kaki also have the same problem. He went to CnC and was also informed gearbox software already the latest and same do a gearbox software rebooting. 

16 hours ago, johnphua said:

One of my GLA kaki also have the same problem. He went to CnC and was also informed gearbox software already the latest and same do a gearbox software rebooting. 

According to CnC, mine was a "custom" software by Germany side to hopefully resolve the issue.

Gearbox software reboot is useless, tried it and the problem came back in less than 1 month. I'm still monitoring the new software - so far so good.