• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

2nd hand C180K or CGI

Pike

Hi guys,

I'm newbie to mercs.

Can anyone pls advise ...

Im looking to buy a 7 to 8 yrs old C180K or CGI. 

Can pls advise & share any important or major stuff to becareful note for these two car models!

> From engine to gearbox or others stuff to becareful about.  

Very appreciated!! Cheers guys 

Regards.

Hi,if I was u I will take c180k (kompressure engine), because cgi engine is turbo type, the engine temperature sure will higher than c180k, high temperature its will damage some  engine components.

before u buy it, better visit a workshop first (if u can)

good luck

not too sure about merc turbos.. so i'm touching on the kompressor, in addition to the bros above...

kompressor gives out a 'whining' sound.. do a search in the forum, there are some discussions on this topic.

i read somewhere that a spoilt kompressor can give out a 'clanking' sound.. so do send the car to AA for inspection first.

and if u are going to mod the car, kompressors don't have much option available out there vs the turbo.

other than simple piggyback, that's about it. in a way, it keeps your wallet intact and won't do anything funny lol!

7-8yrs should be 1.8 liter? there are 1.6 liters available but are younger.. same power output but easier on road tax... and if in future u wanna renew the COE, they stay in cat A rather than B.

On ‎26‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 10:48 PM, Pike said:

Hi guys,

I'm newbie to mercs.

Can pls advise & share any important or major stuff to becareful note for these two car models!

Regards.

I think for 7 - 8 years car, is more depending on luck... sometime not easy to trace for any fault on the spot even if you send it for inspection.

And also, it depend on what you like.. Kompressor is 5 speed and engine feel is RAW whereas Turbo is 7 speed and is more smooth..

For me, I like hardcore... so I prefer Kompressor!  :)

• Like 2

On 26/09/2016 at 10:48 PM, Pike said:

Hi guys,

I'm newbie to mercs.

Regards.

I bought a C180K 2009 model in April.

Look out for the suspension, engine mount, brake pads and disc as they are important. All of these are replaced when I bought the car except the brake rotor which I spent about $500+ to replace all 4 pcs.

1 thing you won't be able to look out for: Steering Lock failure (Green Key issue). I don't know why but I am the unlucky 0.01% kena this problem last week. I personally feel the % is higher. Luckily it's a C&C model. Towed back to Pandan Loop, total cost 1.7k all in (inclusive of towing charges and a cab voucher) zzzzzzzzzzzz.

Not sure if any bros here can advise what is the symptom of an impending green key issue because I can't really notice. Except that before replacing the steering lock, the sucking of the key in ignition is quite weak. The sounds coming out when the key is turned is quite faint. After replacing it, wow, the suction is power + sound from instrument cluster is much clearer :). So does the weak suction and faint sound a symptom? I don't really know, just my conjecture.

Good luck with your buy!!

Hi,

I also worry about green key issues. seem the warning sign is not obvious ...  someone mentioned before, it can also fix outside by K-auto Garage.. but I am not sure whether the cost will be lower than 1.7k CnC changed .. 

From what I know, the root-cause of the problem is the few dollar DC motor failure (that serve as steering lock actuator) .. but \once it's stuck in locked position, need to remove many part ....... & likely CnC will change the complete module, rekeying ...   

BTW, just curious to know, when the  Green key problem happen, you called CnC & they dispatch a tow truck?

2 hours ago, catfish said:

BTW, just curious to know, when the  Green key problem happen, you called CnC & they dispatch a tow truck?

Yes, this is how it goes. Few things to note:

When you call the Customer Service Hotline, even though I tell them I am quite sure it is green key issue, they still don't send the tow truck immediately. They dispatch a technician thinking it is likely a battery problem. Ended up technician came and within minutes, confirmed not battery issue. Lucky they never charge anything for that because when they come down suppose to charge $50 diagnose fee.

So do insist they send a tow truck if you are very sure it is not battery issue. If battery issue, I think that there will still be some dashboard lights (ie. engine light) on when you turn the key 2 times. For Green Key, totally no dashboard lights. Only light I see are the white words and numbers from the instrument cluster showing the mileage, etc.

But before this, do test out your spare key first to confirm it is not key problem.

Secondly, I almost wanted to call my own tow truck thinking C&C will charge me an arm and  leg for towing. Luckily my mechanic advised me to let C&C settle the towing. 'heng' ended up they absorb the towing charges. So don't call your own tow truck because you might have to pay extra for it. 

BTW my green key issue they repaired it within 1 day. Towed on Thursday 3pm. Can collect car on Friday before closing.