• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

New W246 owners signing in :)

petetherock

Thanks for the reply bro, but it means I can't stay in a particular gear if I wish to do so..

I notice along a small stretch of road with varying speeds, the gearbox actually changes gears about 10 times up and down.. I prefer to hold a single gear if I can.. but it looks like I can't.. pity..

I am still finding a lot of interesting features, and nice surprises..

Eg, pressing the open button on the fob actually winds down the windows..

If you use Adapt, it learns your driving style

If you stop the car and press P and turn off the engine, the Parking Brake automatically engages.. all very cool..

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2017 at 8:51 AM, petetherock said:

I notice the recommended tire pressure is 250?

That makes the ride even firmer than it is currently.. I wonder if any bros run with less pressure?

when i first drove all tires were on average around 285

its been two months and now my pressure is on average 250

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, petetherock said:

The new VES tax is confusing, but if you believe the numbers, the B180 could be one of the few cars that gets a higher VES, whilst most cars become dearer by 10-25k!

http://www.nextgreencar.com/emissions/make-model/mercedes-benz/b-class/

None of the attached models coming in to Singapore though.

C&C dun sell diesel cars?

Useful info for those of us who have no spare tires and no longer use those run flats:

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/motoring/torque-shop-81

I did my first drive to Malaysia in my fairly new car recently and I had a flat tyre. Fortunately, I was able to pull in to a rest stop. But I was surprised to discover that there was no spare tyre. Instead there was something called a tyre repair kit. I was at a loss because I had no idea how to use the kit. Is this normal and unique to my car?
First and foremost, when you embark on a long-distance drive, you must give your vehicle a thorough check, including all the tyres (the spare too).

These days, many cars do not come with a spare tyre. To reduce weight and for convenience, a tyre repair kit is now a common flat-tyre fix, so you must know how to use it.

The repair kit comes with a puncture sealant and a tyre pump. What you need to do in the event of a puncture is clearly described in the owner's manual and, in most cases, on the repair kit itself.

The operation is fairly simple. First, you inject the pressurised can of sealant into the punctured tyre. You may then need to move the car a little to rotate the tyre so that the sealant is distributed evenly.

Wait a few minutes for the puncture to be sealed. Instructions on the can will state how many minutes. Then, plug in the compressor to the cigarette lighter socket, connect the pressure tube of the pump to the tyre valve and start the compressor. The pump has a gauge so you will know when the pressure is right.

The repair is not meant to be permanent. You should have the damaged tyre changed at the next town.

It's taken me about 2 months to reach the 1000 miles mark, and I finally got to really drive it in anger over the weekend..

122 horses doesn't seem like much when you mention it like that. Even some Korean and Jap cars have more horsepower, but behind that is a small light pressure turbo and that makes all the difference...

This turbo kicks in early at about 1250 turns, so it does not take a big squeeze of the pedal to invite the whoosh to come on. Then it becomes a lot more frenetic :) 

It's not an all or nothing like the traditional turbos, but you do get a nice shove in the back, and before you know it, you are going at 3 digit figures on the highway. The car behaves very well at such speeds, very stable and not floaty at all. However road noise does get in, yet, it's a lot less than the Jap car I used to drive. Tire roar is not so great, partly due to the insulation or insufficiency of it, and partly due to the tires themselves. Nevertheless when you spin up the turbo, it's great nice :)

The engine sound is not going to be remembered as one of the best, and coming from a VTEC, which sings like a soprano when you get it going, but it's more meaty, and yet it's still less engaging at higher speeds spinning around 3-4000 rpm with the turbo than those naturally aspirated Honda engines, which thrive on revs.

Still, I look forward to my first Malaysian drive. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my car back from C&C Merc Alex.

I called in, to book an appointment to ask them if they can help with a scratch, and also if they can fix the creaking sound at my B pillar area. There were appointments in the same week,but I choose the following due to my own work commitments.

Met the man who will be handling my car, and it was a nice greeting. Despite Alex not being 'sanctioned' for body works, he took my case, and not only did he fix the door sounds, but he also went out of his way to get his chaps to try to fix the scratch. They also washed the car, and there's a nice small bottle of mineral water that they leave behind, and the car smell nice. So no more window noise, and the scratch is barely visible. 

I collected my car the following day, and it was a smooth introduction to the Merc Service Centre.

With 2000km on the odo (finally!) I can open up the turbo more now.. :)

Oh, he did mention that one should use 98 and specifically Esso for smoother performance. And he suggested 250 psi for both front and back. It's stated 270 on the fuel flap, but it feels too hard. 

Sadly bro, in the world of Mercs, mine is very entry level. You probably get better service and a higher chance of a courtesy car.

I had to drive my own car to get the Nano done, whilst higher models will come with the Nano already sorted. Nevertheless, if you get a nice service chap, it's smoother. So when you go in and meet your man, be nice, not snooty like some drivers, and you will find your service agent a helpful partner in maintaining your ride. Cheers :)

• Like 1

Just tried it again after they sorted the sounds from the B Pillar. Wow, the NVH has been reduced by a lot!

When you take it onto the highway, there's very little noise from the outside. Very impressive, even when you are into 3 digit speeds. A hard press on the pedal brings a rewarding roar and a corresponding shove in the back, and you feel you are into hyperdrive. All very nice.

Not Lexus silent, and the fit / finish is nowhere close, but it's solid enough and the package is a nice one for the price.

Given that it has more space in the back than the E Class, more aerodynamic (CD of 0.26) than a Ferrari, and high enough for chaps with long torsos like me, it's quite fun, even if it looks like a bread van outside. 

• 2 weeks later...