• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

what type of engine best for W221

mike9956

Hi, Good Day to All Owner,

My S300L year 2007 and mileage 100kkms is due for engine oil change. In our hot climate and start-stop short driving, any recommendation whether I should use fully synthetic 5W-40 or 10W-40 or 20W-40.

Should I use oil designed for older car like Shell Helix HX-7 (car between 8-12 yrs old) or Mobil-1 HIGH MILEAGE (>75kkms) ? or does it really make a difference ?

Appreciate your opinions

Thanks...mike

Recommend to use mobil oil for Mercedes.

Chances you might have to consider changing transmission oil as well at this mileage.

Be careful of the suspension and control arms system.

You might want to check and trace if the water (radiation system) circulation route where the rubber pipes might have worn out liao.

At 100kkm, these are the items to watch out for. :hot:

Hi dyeeng, i have not been able to strike the best balance on front/rear tyre pressure that provides me the lowest noise and softest undercarriage thump (i use michelin primacy 3 ST and 18" rim).  I have tried so many combinations that i lost count, including the Manual's recommendation. Currently, i am putting up with front and rear at 240

Any insight from your experience ?

When I was using 17" Primacy 3, i feel like in a library, almost from when tyre is new till it's bald after 35k km

Recently I change to 18" Primacy 3, i begin to hear some tyre noise even when new.

I miss the comfort and silence of the 17"

Lower profile tyres tends to generate slightly louder noise.

Btw, mobile oil stick to  10W-40  for higher mileage car.

20W-40 is too thick

• Like 1

Thanks for your inputs,

I experienced the same uptick of noise when changed from original 17" rim  michelin primacy 3 to 18". I regret now for comprimising noise/comfort with comestic appearance. What is your optimium front & rear tyre pressure ?

esso petrol station have 1. mobil-1 Gold advanced full syn 0w40 $99. 2. Mobil 5w-50 advanced full syn. $89. 3. Mobil special mineral (Reliable protecrion) 20w-50 $37. 4. SUPER-1000 (longer lasting protection) multigrade oil 15w-40 $46.   Above volumes are 4L

C&C have been using shell helix ultra full syn 20w-40 for past 10yrs  on all ages of merc. even >10 yrs old. NTUC selling 20w-40 full syn for $37/4L(made in UK). Same  spec but made in Hong kong at $34. Is there any diff between EU and HK in term of quality and performance ??

What is your recommendation on suitability and value for the money for 10yrs old car

I think it's ok to sacrifice a bit of ride and noise for better handling and appearance. 17" on a s class really looks cartoon and my mechanics and friends always makes fun of it. 18" is about right and cornering is better too. 

I'm always at 250 to 260 psi,  balance between comfort and fuel efficiency.

I use only fully synthetic mobil oil and I always buy from giant supermarket during promotion. A 4l bottle can cost abt 55 to 65 during promo. Mostly made in EU but who cares as long as it's tag under Mobil. 2 bottles will save me about $100+ as compared with buying direct from petrol station. 

Never use Mobil gold 0w40 for old cars. Will damage yr engine

10 hours ago, j888 said:

When I was using 17" Primacy 3, i feel like in a library, almost from when tyre is new till it's bald after 35k km

Recently I change to 18" Primacy 3, i begin to hear some tyre noise even when new.

20W-40 is too thick

Library??!! Lol! Love this description! Couldn't agree more! I was on 17 primacy, super comfy and quiet. Now on 19 AMG Pirelli, ride quality more rough. Definitely no longer a library now! Lol. 

11 hours ago, j888 said:

20W-40 is too thick

Isn't 10w 40 similar to 20w 40 in our climate? 40 is what matters but not 10w/20w meant for winter condition? 

I'm now on 8mm front spacer and will be installing 13mm spacer for rear next week. Will let u know if I ended up as a market. But highly unlikely.

Btw, I bought my 12mm h&r spacer on ebay.  $160 a pair include shipping. Don't be ripped off by tyre shop, do some check online first. 

20mm sounds fierce too. Got to consider about safety, make sure your bolt thread is deep enough.

• Like 1

pardon my ignorant...why Asymmetrical front 8mm and rear 13mm spacer ? 

Does your purchase c/w bolts and lugs ? otherwise, what size/thread to ensure good fitme

Is the dimension correct  for S300L (year2007) PCD: 5x112 and Centerbore: 66,5mm ?

Which size would you recommend 10mm,15mm or 20mm for my non-staggered 18" tyre

In Ebay, they also have  W221 spacer shims (3mm) 5x112 for $9/pr. Is this required ?

Cheers...mike

I want the rear to be wider than the front so that handling is better and also looks better, that's why my spacer is different size.

Bolt have to buy separately. Can buy at local tyre shop and customised cut to desired length. A good thread depth must have about 6 to 8 turns of thread into the wheel.

All merc PCD is 112 x 5 and centerbore 66.6mm (some rim use 66.5mm for easier fitment)

Do not buy spacer shim. Guarantee to cause your steering to vibrate due to fitment unbalance. I have bought a set of 4, fitted and removed within 10 mins of ride. Practically useless.

• Like 1