• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Transmission oil replacement (advice pls)

DDDLow

Dear All

I need some advice before I change my transmission (Tx) oil:

1. My car does not come with a lip stick for the Tx oil, how do I know whether the replaced oil level is enough?

2. Was told must use original Mercedes Tx oil, true? Any special grade?

3. Workshop told me to remove Tx oil cooler in order to completely drain the oil. Since removed oil cooler also change the oil cooler gasket, make sense?

4. Workshop quoted $350 for the half day job.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Mercs engine do not have any dip stick slot liao. New transmission 722.9 do not have dip stick slot. Usually change Tx oil every 40'000 miles (60kkm) should suffice although some would change much later.

2. Yes, use original Mercs Tx oil is good but can also use Mobil Tx oil for Mercs. usually workshop will recommend either one.

3. Tx oil change comes with the change of Tx pan gasket. don't know about Tx oil cooler? maybe other bros can advise. During Tx oil change, the pan and the magnet is cleaned. Tx oil is pumped into the engine block from beneath the engine.

4. compare with other workshop. I change mine at Chip Soon auto for under $300.

hope these help.   

Hi,

I think Chip Soon charge $270 before GST... BTW, they do not accept bring your own part ... 

Usually WS  do not drain the oil from oil cooler line, just drop the Tx pan, change filter ... & refill... (some I heard, also drain from Torque converter, but not all merc come with torque converter drain plug) 

Workshop should have the dipstick to check the fluid level..actually I also bought one from Aliexpress, cost me ~ USD 5+ , the level should be checked when Tx fluid temp ~ 80c... some workshop is sotong.. do not understand all these ..

Yes, I think you can perform a dip-stick check but you would need to break the seal - cap with a red lock pin (which requires a replacement) and, like bro catfish, buy a dipstick from aliexpress or ebay. The Tx tube can be found just underneath the engine cover, beside the engine oil tube.

very correct to check fluid level at above 80 deg Celsius.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2016 at 11:03 AM, DDDLow said:

Done with change filter, oil and gasket @ $265.

Topic closed.

May I know how to remove this comm since settled?

Hi Bro, 

May I ask where did u change ur gearbox oil at?

I called CS today and was quoted $349 before gst.

5 litres of auto transmission oil.

4 hours ago, catfish said:

Hi,

Good to check, what does the $349 include?

1. 5lit ATF

2.Gear box filter

3.Pan Gasket

4 Transmission Plug connector 

If item 4 inclueded, then I think the price is OK .. 

Hi,

Yes. breakdown as below.

$140 for 5 lit ATF

$65 for GB filter

$24 for Pan Gasket

$120 for labour

the lady didnt mention anything about the transmission plug connector. all before gst. 

On 9/1/2016 at 0:07 PM, catfish said:

Hi,

I think Chip Soon charge $270 before GST... BTW, they do not accept bring your own part ... 

Usually WS  do not drain the oil from oil cooler line, just drop the Tx pan, change filter ... & refill... (some I heard, also drain from Torque converter, but not all merc come with torque converter drain plug) 

Workshop should have the dipstick to check the fluid level..actually I also bought one from Aliexpress, cost me ~ USD 5+ , the level should be checked when Tx fluid temp ~ 80c... some workshop is sotong.. do not understand all these ..

Can share the picture of the dipstick? or perhaps the direct URL of it?

Hi Bro

This is what I got from Aliexpress, it took few wks to ship here... since shipping is free, no complain

Pls take note, this is ONLY for 5 speed GB (722.6), you can't use this for 7 speed GB (722.9).

For 7 speed GB, the fluid level has to check from the drain plug itself .. there is no hole for you to insert the dipstick

For 5 speed GB, make sure car is well warm up (after a long run), put the gear to Park position, let engine running idle & insert the dipstick slowly, stop once you feel the resistance , check @ 80c mark

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-Engine-Oil-Dipstick-for-Mercedes-Benz-722-6-140589152-1220mm-ME3L/32506391865.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.73.YlPVA4

• 4 months later...
On 13 September 2016 at 11:03 AM, DDDLow said:

Done with change filter, oil and gasket @ $265.

Topic closed.

May I know how to remove this comm since settled?

Hi, Which workshop did you change your Toil? Mine reaching 60k km soon and was told that all fluids need to be flushed and changed

1 hour ago, C180BEW204 said:

Hi, Which workshop did you change your Toil? Mine reaching 60k km soon and was told that all fluids need to be flushed and changed

I doing my Tx Oil change at our site sponsor Optimawerk @ their Upper Thomson workshop this coming Wed 1st Feb.

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)

6 hours ago, C180BEW204 said:

Would appreciate if you could let me know the cost of changing Tx fluid etc etc

:bow:

Cannot remember but its around $300+ including filter, gasket & labor

Cheers

I'm a MB Whore! :)