• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Chrome strips

Need some advice from bros here on how to "polish" the chrome strips around the window frames. I noticed that the chrome strips have turned dull on some areas, so would like to know if there is anything that can be used to make it shiny again. Autosol or Brasso? 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a little worried with the use of autosol or brasso. i do have a tube of cream that is used to "polish" my golf clubs. I use it on my brass putter to regain the shine but not sure if I can apply it to the chrome strips. Oh well, will make a trip to Autobacs to see if I can get the Meguiars products.

Brake dusts? Change the stock brake pads to cermanic pads. Else, change the entire brake set to BBK. Got one handsome seller selling his BBK set at a dirt cheap price, do check out the wts folder.

If the chrome is tarnished, use Autosol sparingly to remove the tarnish. (You can use 'dry' toothpaste to remove the light tarnish.) To protect the chrome, apply a bit of normal wax regularly.

I have been restoring motorcycles and used an expensive stainless steel liquid to protect the chrome.  Then I thought I was smart by using WD-40 to protect the chrome.  BAD MOVE!  Years on, there were pittings on my chrome.  I am not saying that the WD-40 is corrosive but it didn't help.

So these days I just wax over the chrome.

• 1 year later...
On 12/8/2017 at 11:39 PM, Simonlim said:

Hi Guys

i am a new owner. I got the problem with the chrome window trim. Is tarnished. Tried autosol and turtle metal polish..both doesn’t work. Any other solution ? Help needd

Pls post pic so that we can tell what can be done to help.

Im general, a polish should be able to remove common defects.  If using non automotive polish ,tape up the paint work near the chrome strips to avoid it getting on  the paint work 

On 12/12/2017 at 8:16 AM, joecamel said:

Pls post pic so that we can tell what can be done to help.

Im general, a polish should be able to remove common defects.  If using non automotive polish ,tape up the paint work near the chrome strips to avoid it getting on  the paint work 

Hi

as attached, I tried autosol, brasso, and tooth paste and turtle polish 

nothing works

please please help

2783CA43-45DD-480B-ABDA-CC64FBF1CEF6.jpeg

4 hours ago, Simonlim said:

Hi

nothing works

please please help

Gee ! That looks like a de-chrome surface.

(you sure its chrome before the polish ? or its a black strip ?)

7 hours ago, Simonlim said:

Hi

nothing works

please please help

wow, looks bad :(

3 methods, from the conventional to extreme!

Method A: have experienced good results from this
Things you need
microfiber clotheX2
rubbing compound, ! used meguiars ultimate compound
1. clean the affected chrome parts
2. TAPE OFF THE PAINTED AREAS, leaving the chrome parts exposed as compounding will remove you sealant/wax
3. apply the rubbing compound and buff with some strength the affected areas, small sections, dont allow the rubbing compound to dry
4. wipe off with the other microfiber cloth.
if the dullness fades, repeat step 3 and 4 till satisfied

Method B: have tried this on the taps at home
Things you need
microfiber clotheX2
Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) 95%, can get from most pharmacies (some say use girlfriend's nail polish remover also can but i havent tried)
2. TAPE OFF THE PAINTED AREAS, leaving the chrome parts exposed to prevent damaging your paint work
3. apply the toothpaste  and buff with some strength the affected areas, small sections
if the dullness dullness fades, repeat step 3 and 4 till satisfied

Method C: this is extreme. try at your own risk. have seen it work on rusted bike parts
Things you need
Cola (low sugar content)
aluminum foil
2. TAPE OFF THE PAINTED AREAS, leaving the chrome parts exposed to prevent scratching your paint work
3. pour coke to the affected areas
4. bunch up the aluminum foil and rub the affected areas
5. pour remaining coke into cup and enjoy the shine when completed

good luck and share results :)

On 13/12/2017 at 8:28 PM, joecamel said:

wow, looks bad :(

3 methods, from the conventional to extreme!

Method A: have experienced good results from this
Things you need
microfiber clotheX2
rubbing compound, ! used meguiars ultimate compound
2. TAPE OFF THE PAINTED AREAS, leaving the chrome parts exposed as compounding will remove you sealant/wax
3. apply the rubbing compound and buff with some strength the affected areas, small sections, dont allow the rubbing compound to dry

Method B: have tried this on the taps at home
Things you need
microfiber clotheX2
Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) 95%, can get from most pharmacies (some say use girlfriend's nail polish remover also can but i havent tried)
2. TAPE OFF THE PAINTED AREAS, leaving the chrome parts exposed to prevent damaging your paint work
3. apply the toothpaste  and buff with some strength the affected areas, small sections
if the dullness dullness fades, repeat step 3 and 4 till satisfied

Method C: this is extreme. try at your own risk. have seen it work on rusted bike parts
Things you need
Cola (low sugar content)
aluminum foil
2. TAPE OFF THE PAINTED AREAS, leaving the chrome parts exposed to prevent scratching your paint work
3. pour coke to the affected areas
4. bunch up the aluminum foil and rub the affected areas
5. pour remaining coke into cup and enjoy the shine when completed

good luck and share results :)

Hi

i tried all the above 

Still the same

very sad for me

😢😢