• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

MB original car battery / 24hrs Roadside Assistance

Hi,

My dad's W246 (around 1yr 10 mths) could not start on Saturday. Called the 24hr Roadside assistance hotline and was given a verbal quotation of ~300++ to replace the car battery. Help arrived in about 60mins, fault verified and car battery replaced at a final cost of SGD581!! Mechanic claims that car is under warranty hence not labour was charged. When questioned about the differences between the verbal quotation and final cost... mechanic happily said to my dad .. "don't worry you have have plenty of service credit... no need to fork out hard cash.." $@#^$@# 

Want to check with Merc bro's here if this is a norm (i.e charges .. attitude of mechanic... )?? Is there a case to be raise with MB?? 

Thanks in advance. 

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When it's time to change wear and tear items, the majority owners will choose to change it at workshops outside. Much much much cheaper compared to AD.

I believe you did receive a receipt? What does it say?

When it's time to change wear and tear items, the majority owners will choose to change it at workshops outside. Much much much cheaper compared to AD.

I believe you did receive a receipt? What does it say?

Hi Mark,

thanks for your feedback. I caught a glimpse of the invoice. just simply lump in as one item..  also, are there any symptoms to look out for when the battery is weakening? with there be any indicators on the instrument cluster to indicate battery weak? thanks again..  

1 year 10 months for battery is quite bad....my E200's battery was changed 3 years ago...last month checked during servicing still holding charges at 80%.

Did your dad installed any addition gadgets in the vehicle? (eg...car camera)

2006 W211 MERCEDES E200NGT

1 year 10 months for battery is quite bad....my E200's battery was changed 3 years ago...last month checked during servicing still holding charges at 80%.

Did your dad installed any addition gadgets in the vehicle? (eg...car camera)

Hi iMac, yah exactly why I was shocked when I was told as his car is barely 2 years old. Wondering if the "Engine Start/Stop" function could have drained the battery(city driving) as unlike the other merc, the W246 has only one battery. As for additional gadgets, there isn't any. In fact, he is still using whatever original config his SE set for him during the hand over!!

thx for the input. cheers 

• 5 months later...

Model: W246 (10 months old, still in warranty)

Car Camera: Using CnC default camera and hence has no no carpark mode recording,

Mileage: 27000km (avg 100km per day, 75% of time on expressway)

Situation: Last Friday ,drive for 30min, stop engine with hazard lights & radio on to wait for 10 minutes. After 10minutes, engine could not start. Called C&C 24hr roadside assistance and diagnosed as main battery under voltage. (Auto Start-Stop function already not "green" for a month already). Roadside assistance said battery weaken within 1 year bec of "battery abuse" -- on hazard lights, on radio, charge phone while engine is off.

Roadside assistance jump-start my engine and asked me to drive for 30-45min to recharge the battery and check if next day morning can restart. Next day morning, engine cannot start (battery flat again), called roadside assistance again and this time he loan me a battery so that i can still drive on weekends and to workshop on Monday to check.

I am new to cars. Can anyone advise is the reason "battery abuse" given a valid cause?(i do charge my mobile phone, listen my phone spotify via bluetooth in the car with the ENGINE OFF for 15min waiting per working day)

On 8/8/2016 at 10:38 AM, daimlerfan said:

Hi,

My dad's W246 (around 1yr 10 mths) could not start on Saturday. Called the 24hr Roadside assistance hotline and was given a verbal quotation of ~300++ to replace the car battery. Help arrived in about 60mins, fault verified and car battery replaced at a final cost of SGD581!! Mechanic claims that car is under warranty hence not labour was charged. When questioned about the differences between the verbal quotation and final cost... mechanic happily said to my dad .. "don't worry you have have plenty of service credit... no need to fork out hard cash.." $@#^$@# 

Want to check with Merc bro's here if this is a norm (i.e charges .. attitude of mechanic... )?? Is there a case to be raise with MB?? 

Thanks in advance. 

pls disregard this... didnt read 1yr 10 monthis :(

12 months maybe can push to wear and tear but 10 months is something wrong or battery quality.

try to call cnc to claim warranty for it (battery warranty is 24 months)

Edited by joecamel
dis-regard this post, didnt read 1yr 10 months.