• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W205 amg line whining sound when turning the steering wheel

egroeg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Recently I heard this whining sound while turning the steering wheel after about half an hour drive. Any one experience the same?

My car is 3mths old mileage 5.2k c180 amg line.

Have not encountered this issue. Driven the W205 c200 AMG line for 1.5 years.

Best is to bring it in to CnC to check since under warranty

I think I am having the same problem. Mine is a very low tone whining sound, like something rubbing inside the steering wheel. I heard it since Day 1 since I collected the car in end June. Especially on low speed. The sound starts right when the car starts.

Still planning to bring it back, but haven't found time. 

When we bring back to C&C for such issues, do we just walk in?

I think I am having the same problem. Mine is a very low tone whining sound, like something rubbing inside the steering wheel. I heard it since Day 1 since I collected the car in end June. Especially on low speed. The sound starts right when the car starts.

Still planning to bring it back, but haven't found time. 

When we bring back to C&C for such issues, do we just walk in?

better to book slot online as they unlikely serve walk in issues directly.

• 3 months later...

Update: After a car wash, the loud whining noise was gone. It is now left with the low whining noise which the SA told me its normal. Driven their 2 years old c180 replacement with the same low whining noise from the steering further confirmed that it is normal. :)

6 hours ago, snsd555 said:

could it be the power steering pump?

Not too sure. My car is only 6 mths old, brought it in to cnc to have it check along with other rattling issues. Downtime 3 weeks. The loud whining never occur again even before i sent it in while waiting for the replacement car. So i supposed they deemed is normal. 

During collection i wasnt given any job description on what is checked and done on my car. Is there supposed to be one? 

I did send in my car. was told that the sound I am hearing is coming from the electric motor of the steering wheels. Was told that is normal. Nothing much I could do. I have wanted to verify with my friend's C Class, but have yet to do it. SA told me that MB Germany is aware of this, but no action heard.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Daofoo said:

Hi,

I think I'm getting the same sound as you guys.  I found the video below from youtube.  This is excatly what I hear from my car.  So there's no resolution?

This is definitely not normal. Sounds like the power steering pump is defective. 

• 5 months later...

Anyone has this resolved? I’m having the same issue. Went back twice. 1st time SA heard the sound with me. But when pass to mech. The sound was gone and they couldn’t replicate it. They claimed they did some lubrication to the shaft. Collected the car. Whining sound returned. Had 3 episodes of this irritating sound. Sent back to check. Again they couldn’t replicate the sound. Left for a day. SA called saying they will change the whole shaft. 

Collected the car today. Guess what! The sound returned after CnC claims they changed a new shaft. Pls advice if any one managed to resolve this.

it just seems and feels like nothing was done. Since there are a few similar cases here. Just hope we could get pool together our findings and try to on point where this sound is coming from...

attached a clip.

607CF234-269A-4A96-8306-74BED20835C1.MOV

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/30/2017 at 3:58 PM, Daofoo said:

Hi,

I think I'm getting the same sound as you guys.  I found the video below from youtube.  This is excatly what I hear from my car.  So there's no resolution?

Mine drove 3 years also no such noise...... better go C&C check and get it replaced under warranty