• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Brake hold function

Hi bros out there..

wanna seek better understanding on how exactly to get the brake-hold function/technique right.

have been trying and trying, and also watch you-tubes... but still couldnt get it right. sometimes got it but most of the times couldnt.

hope some bros could enlighten me on this function as I just got the car (GLA) not to long ago.

thanks and cheers

Orange

FYI, if your battery is too weak, the holding brake function cannot work.

This happen especially when you went for holiday and car did not start for a long time.

When you come back and start your car, the brake function will not work until the car batt charge back to a certain level.

Just for information.

been struggling for the past week since i collected my ride. recently i noticed that if I apply pressure while my feet rests directly flat on the brake paddle.. the odds of getting it right is higher... you might wanna give it a go.. i am still trying too.. good luck. :) 

FYI, if your battery is too weak, the holding brake function cannot work.

This happen especially when you went for holiday and car did not start for a long time.

When you come back and start your car, the brake function will not work until the car batt charge back to a certain level.

Just for information.

mmm.. its a new ride so i reckon should not be any battery issue.

been struggling for the past week since i collected my ride. recently i noticed that if I apply pressure while my feet rests directly flat on the brake paddle.. the odds of getting it right is higher... you might wanna give it a go.. i am still trying too.. good luck. :)

ok.. that sounds like i have a technique issue.. ok, will try again. at least i know i'm not the odd one. :)

• Like 1

ya.. its easy to get the brake-hold while stationary... but its the "on the move and come to a stop" that i couldnt get it rite.

When you are applying the brake-hold during D at stationary, the car should not move at all.  

While stepping on the brake paddle (just enough to stop the car from moving), step it further in with double quick time, that should do the trick.

Very easy.  Step on the pedal and brake normally. Once the car is stationary, relax your leg muscles but do not let go the pedal. Then just tense your muscles and give the pedal a slight push.  No need to rush.  I get it right all the time.

This brake-hold works with your feet firm on the brake pedal when you stop, for example at the traffic junction, then exert a slightly heavier pressure on the brake pedal (you should hear a light "swooch" sound) and this should work.. :phew:

i reckon it is more of a double action.
while coming to a stop, depress brake abit (glide to a stop kind not those heavy braking type). Once you come to a stop and with the foot still slightly depressing the brake, PUSH IN THE BRAKE PEDAL FURTHER till you see a hold. 
However, I think if you have already depress the brake by 1/2, chances of missing the hold is higher.... 

Go practise and figure. 

Once the car comes to a COMPLETE STOP, Just a FULL FORCE down your leg will get the HOLD function to activate.

The more you try the further brake method the worse it gets.

Other makes gets a HOLD level at the gear side, maybe that level will be easier to use instead.

thanks all the bros advice out there... after reading all the advice and tried it out, i think the trick is abit of "double quick time jab and hold for a split second" action technique.. now i got it rite more often. :) and its rite, if the brake pedal already more the half way down, chances it wont activate even if u tried to depress further.

thanks again to all the bros out there!

• Like 1

To deactivate there are 2 ways

1) press the brake pedal again

2) tap on the accelerator.

Love this function, without it is truly "good for nothing"!!

thanks all the bros advice out there... after reading all the advice and tried it out, i think the trick is abit of "double quick time jab and hold for a split second" action technique.. now i got it rite more often. :) and its rite, if the brake pedal already more the half way down, chances it wont activate even if u tried to depress further.

thanks again to all the bros out there!

Practice makes perfect. You should eventually be able to achieve it 99.9% of the time!

• Like 2

• 3 years later...