• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Dynamic Select drive modes

daimlerfan

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 9:46 PM, Loo CW said:

Does anyone know whether the slight older W246 2015 FL B-class can be re-programed to have this Dynamic Select (E, C, S, M) option.

Presently, my W246 only have E, S, M option to select.

Sorry to dig up this old thread.

Getting a FL B180 that can only have E, S, M option but another FL B180 I came across already have E, C, S, M options. Is it that there is a firmware update to do that in C&C workshop?

Thanks heap in advance for any advice.

5 hours ago, Bfanatic said:

Sorry to dig up this old thread.

Getting a FL B180 that can only have E, S, M option but another FL B180 I came across already have E, C, S, M options. Is it that there is a firmware update to do that in C&C workshop?

Thanks heap in advance for any advice.

Hi bro,

You bought a pre facelift 2015 and earlier W246. Sorry no FW.. 

12 hours ago, petetherock said:

Hi bro,

You bought a pre facelift 2015 and earlier W246. Sorry no FW.. 

Hello, bro.

Thanks for the reply.

To clarify, this ride is the facelifted model and has the updated features such as new steering wheel, dashboard, headlights, rear lights, etc, definitely not pre-facelift model.

Would be sad if really cannot update to have this drive mode.

4 hours ago, Bfanatic said:

Hello, bro.

Thanks for the reply.

To clarify, this ride is the facelifted model and has the updated features such as new steering wheel, dashboard, headlights, rear lights, etc, definitely not pre-facelift model.

Hi. You must have the 1st generation facelift.

Yes, it is only included 3 modes instead of 4 modes in the later versions.

But you are not missing much. the E mode in your current one is equivalent to the C mode of the later version. The E mode in the later version comes with fast gear changing to save more fuel, but basically makes the car very slow moving. I believe that it must be some complaints that the B class not getting the stated fuel economy that they created such a mode that practically made the car so slow moving and reacting.

For others with the new B180 to comment: I believe the initial start up mode everytime is C? same as the earlier versions always started up in E instead.

20 minutes ago, Silverkris said:

(from 15:45Hi. You must have the 1st generation facelift.

Yes, it is only included 3 modes instead of 4 modes in the later versions.

But you are not missing much. the E mode in your current one is equivalent to the C mode of the later version. The E mode in the later version comes with fast gear changing to save more fuel, but basically makes the car very slow moving. I believe that it must be some complaints that the B class not getting the stated fuel economy that they created such a mode that practically made the car so slow moving and reacting.

For others with the new B180 to comment: I believe the initial start up mode everytime is C? same as the earlier versions always started up in E instead.

Thanks for your reply.

I first read up on the driving modes through this video (from 15:45): 

Presenter talked about his opinion on the 3 driving modes: S, E, M, and that it would be better to have a C mode. That was in May/2015.

What you commented is quite true. I tried on another slightly newer B180 with C mode. Driving under Eco mode can stretch the FC to 7xx km as it allows gliding when not stepping on the accelerator while car is in motion, like in Neutral gear like that. Very good on expressway. 

I also emailed C&C on this. At first replied that pre-facelift model cannot be updated, then after clarification replied that updating from 3-mode to 4-mode depends on YOM also, not solely on facelift factor. So most likely no hope already.

Never mind, will try when going for first service haha.

Just received another reply from C&C informing that not possible to update to include Comfort driving mode. Sian by half already.

Those keen to buy used B180 please take note of that. Please check out if the ride has Comfort mode under Dynamic Select feature. Personally I prefer the Eco mode in the newer B180 as it can really save a lot of petrol as onboard show full tank mileage of close to 800km cruising on expressway, contributed not least by the gliding mode. Just that not everyone can accept the slower throttle response. But then again due to the nature of dual clutch gearbox, there is a need to understand how a manual gearbox work to reap maximum benefit of this ride. If do not pay attention to the gear number when going up slope, the car will groan and moan but will move very slowly. That is because the car might be at gear 3 when it started up slope, so the car simply has no power to accelerate up the slope. Just need to pause or drive very slowly to drop the gear before going up. I am sure can toggle the +/- gear selector manually but too much for me to learn right now. Previous experience owning a Touran, another dual-clutch car, really help a lot. 

Anyway will just proceed to get it. Any B180 after Dec/2015 is safe. Think just slightly earlier would have this mode too.

8 hours ago, Bfanatic said:

Hello, bro.

Thanks for the reply.

Bro, it's not a facelift. The older model was the W245, and the 2011 onwards B180 was the W246. It's totally new car from ground up. In 2015, a facelift model came out.. 

You can ask YOM, or simply look at the car bro..

The facelift version has a new grille, new spoilers, and the rear treatment is quite different too..

That new ECO mode in the post 2015 has it's pro and cons.. sure the FC may be better, but it is achieved by going into a 'coast' mode, where the gear is lifted off... then re-engaged again when you accelerate. Not sure if it's a good idea to coast in neutral, and you keep engaging the gears, which may lead to wear and tear..

Apart from the look, the extra mode, you also get CPA plus, and a new UI screen which is 8" and higher resolution. 

15 hours ago, petetherock said:

Bro, it's not a facelift. The older model was the W245, and the 2011 onwards B180 was the W246. It's totally new car from ground up. In 2015, a facelift model came out.. 

You can ask YOM, or simply look at the car bro..

The facelift version has a new grille, new spoilers, and the rear treatment is quite different too..

That new ECO mode in the post 2015 has it's pro and cons.. sure the FC may be better, but it is achieved by going into a 'coast' mode, where the gear is lifted off... then re-engaged again when you accelerate. Not sure if it's a good idea to coast in neutral, and you keep engaging the gears, which may lead to wear and tear..

Apart from the look, the extra mode, you also get CPA plus, and a new UI screen which is 8" and higher resolution. 

The B180 I talking about confirm is the 2015 facelift model, with all the enhancement you listed out. Just that it does not have Comfort drive mode, reason being that it is of earlier batch of facelift models which many are not aware. Wished I had known it earlier haha. Decided to get it anyway as not keen to do any more car hunting. Thanks bro, for sharing.