• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Camber wear on W211 a suspension problem?

greymatters

Hi guys, 

I am new to the forum here. Bought a 7 year E 200 6 months ago and the drive has been great.(Total Mileage 78K)  Recently while driving, the monitor showed that the tire pressure was too low. It was late in the evening, so I showed at a nearby workshop who asked me to change the tires as it had worn out especially at the inner edges (From the records from previous owner, the tires were close to 2 years old by then). While changing, the mechanic also suggested changing the suspension as he said it could be causing the camber wear. I didn't change it then as I was not confident with the workshop and was not sure whether they had all the tools necessary.

I have driven a month with the new tires and when I looked at the tires I wonder whether they are also showing some camber wear over inner edges ( I am not certain though).

The drive itself has been fine.

Is this a suspension issue?

Where would be a good place to show and change if necessary? - I stay at Jurong West 

How much would it cost approximately ? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

Many thanks

In my opinion, have a second opinion frm another workshop on the camber issue. If it's, then change it and then go for 4 wheels alignment at tire shop. That should able to solve yr tire problem.

U should get your ride alignment check that is the first priority. Tyres uneven wear could be due to rims balancing and suspension etc.

You change only one tyres? You should change in a pair instead. Go to our site sponsor ws for alignment check should be cost less than $80.

• Like 2

I changed all four tyres. He checked front alignment after changing and said it was alright.

I am thinking of going to P.I auto solutions tomorrow- branch of Autospritze.. (Based on reviews on this forum)

• Like 1

So I did wheel alignment and the camber was off and couldn't be corrected. I brought to the workshop and let the mechanic do the checking. 

In addition I asked to check the gas smell coming from near the rear of the car when I pump full tank. 

\

The following was the quote for repairs : 

Fuel pump OEM : 380 

Fuel filter OEM : 190 

Fuel pump filter oil seal original: 28

tie rod x 2 original: 96 
Tie rod end x 2  OEM : 136
stabiliser bar x 1 original : 290 
stabiliser bar link - OEM - 48 
front absorber OEM x 2 - 370 
front absorber mounting OEM x 2 136
Front absorber stopper OEM x 2 : 44
Front absorber dust cover x  2: 60 
Engine and gear box mounting - original : 580 
Lower arm OEM x 2 : 390 
Workmanship : 380 

Overall cost : 3200/- + GST

a)Is this a reasonable quote in terms of pricing?

b)My cars mileage is only 79000 KM and has two more years to go till COE expiry. Is it usual to need such a significant repair at this mileage? 

Are there any safety issues involved if I delay this repair? Or does it just improve driving comfort?

Thanks much for the replies?

• 7 months later...
On 5/26/2016 at 10:06 AM, greymatters said:

So I did wheel alignment and the camber was off and couldn't be corrected. I brought to the workshop and let the mechanic do the checking. 

In addition I asked to check the gas smell coming from near the rear of the car when I pump full tank. 

\

The following was the quote for repairs : 

Fuel pump OEM : 380 

Fuel filter OEM : 190 

Fuel pump filter oil seal original: 28

tie rod x 2 original: 96 
Tie rod end x 2  OEM : 136
stabiliser bar x 1 original : 290 
stabiliser bar link - OEM - 48 
front absorber OEM x 2 - 370 
front absorber mounting OEM x 2 136
Front absorber stopper OEM x 2 : 44
Front absorber dust cover x  2: 60 
Engine and gear box mounting - original : 580 
Lower arm OEM x 2 : 390 
Workmanship : 380 

Overall cost : 3200/- + GST

a)Is this a reasonable quote in terms of pricing?

b)My cars mileage is only 79000 KM and has two more years to go till COE expiry. Is it usual to need such a significant repair at this mileage? 

Are there any safety issues involved if I delay this repair? Or does it just improve driving comfort?

Thanks much for the replies?

Bro,

May I know which workshop given you the above price quote?

I also looking for replacement soon. Thanks.

2006 W211 MERCEDES E200NGT