• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W212 E250 air intake

Junda15

Does anybody know there is a 2nd air intake from the grill ?

Do i leave the cover there or remove it for better air flow inside engine bay ?

Heard that it is meant for V6 engine air intake

Thanks a lot

Screenshot_2016-05-13-16-56-37.jpg

Screenshot_2016-05-13-16-56-58.jpg

Yes. It's meant for "V" engines, V6, V8. I assumed MB did enough R&D and for whatever reason, their engineers choose to cover the unused side. Why mess with it? Removing it doesn't improve anything.

Alternatively, you can consider this:

http://www.sgmerc.com/topic/14512-cf-air-intake-system-now-available-for-18l-cgi/page-1

• Like 1

Yes. It's meant for "V" engines, V6, V8. I assumed MB did enough R&D and for whatever reason, their engineers choose to cover the unused side. Why mess with it? Removing it doesn't improve anything.

Alternatively, you can consider this:

http://www.sgmerc.com/topic/14512-cf-air-intake-system-now-available-for-18l-cgi/page-1

Thanks for your advice.

Didn't know there also aftermarket air intake for w212. Look great

Thanks for your advice.

Didn't know there also aftermarket air intake for w212. Look great

The link I posted is suitable for your car. You can enquire with CarbonRevo.

Does anybody know there is a 2nd air intake from the grill ?

Do i leave the cover there or remove it for better air flow inside engine bay ? 

Heard that it is meant for V6  engine air intake

Thanks a lot

I strongly recommend that the cover of the 2nd intake be removed for better cooling of the turbo which lies in front of it.

My CLA45 came with the 2nd opening opened by factory for the same reason even though there's no provision for V6 or V8 engines for CLA range.

I strongly recommend that the cover of the 2nd intake be removed for better cooling of the turbo which lies in front of it.

My CLA45 came with the 2nd opening opened by factory for the same reason even though there's no provision for V6 or V8 engines for CLA range.

Lol! Can't compare the heat from the 45AMG engine to the 250 range of cars.

Lol! Can't compare the heat from the 45AMG engine to the 250 range of cars.

True....whether it's big turbo or small turbo, a cooler turbo is a happy turbo.

Bro Jtang,

Just curious to know since your cover is left open, is there any mini mesh or filter to filter out leaves or tiny sands/particles out cos they do find its way into the air filter box?

Bro Jtang,

Just curious to know since your cover is left open, is there any mini mesh or filter to filter out leaves or tiny sands/particles out cos they do find its way into the air filter box?

Huh? The opened vent does not lead to the air filter box...it merely direct air to the turbo for cooling. But there's some dust & a bit of rain water do get in to the engine compartment.

Does the air intake supply air to both vents such that in the event the 2nd vent is closed, all the airflow goes to the 1st vent? 

If we remove the cover for the 2nd vent, would it result in lower airflow to the 1st vent since air can now "escape" from the opened 2nd vent?

Does the air intake supply air to both vents such that in the event the 2nd vent is closed, all the airflow goes to the 1st vent? 

If we remove the cover for the 2nd vent, would it result in lower airflow to the 1st vent since air can now "escape" from the opened 2nd vent?

Nope....no effect whatsoever to the 1st air intake.

Huh? The opened vent does not lead to the air filter box...it merely direct air to the turbo for cooling. But there's some dust & a bit of rain water do get in to the engine compartment.

Thanks, bro Jtang! I just took the cover out for my kompressor model! Hopefully work as well as turbo models!!!

Lol, just do it for fun lah!!! No effect then place back the cover

Thanks, bro Jtang! I just took the cover out for my kompressor model! Hopefully work as well as turbo models!!!

Don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm & definitely not making u out to be a Merc engineer wannabe, this thread was about turbo cars (i.e. CGI cars). I don't think it applies to kompressor models becos there's no turbo to cool. The supercharger does not heat up like a turbo because it's mechanically driven. But hey, if you are happy doing this....& can mentally picture an increase of 2-3bhp, why not?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...