• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Keep W221 beyond 10 yrs

mike9956

9 hours ago, j888 said:

You can easily check using a OBD scanner

Actually my obd scanner didn't throw a code for the intake manifold. Only my workshop computer can pick it up.

The obd scanner saw a code for the transmission. Code points to a faulty high-pressure solenoid G or something like that. 

16 hours ago, j888 said:

Yes. Another common problem. Repaired mine for about 900

Can feel a loss of power before the repair. 

Is the 900 spent worth it? I was thinking it's nothing major and doesn't exactly affect anything else except maybe less efficient and less power, so was thinking then to just leave it as it is. 

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 10:34 PM, Wings17 said:

Is the 900 spent worth it? I was thinking it's nothing major and doesn't exactly affect anything else except maybe less efficient and less power, so was thinking then to just leave it as it is. 

I suppose if it is not a safety concern, it can wait. I would still fix at some point - probably just me being bit fussy about not leaving things broken. I am still holding out on my rear control arms, bushings till another servicing. Trying to stagger my spending $$$

14 minutes ago, dchum said:

I suppose if it is not a safety concern, it can wait. I would still fix at some point - probably just me being bit fussy about not leaving things broken. I am still holding out on my rear control arms, bushings till another servicing. Trying to stagger my spending $$$

Better power and FC is surely welcomed. But to save enough fuel to cover the 900 is another thing. 

My calculations Abit different. I calculate based on overall depreciation which includes repairs and replacement of parts and servicing because that adds to the overall cost of ownership. 

40 minutes ago, Wings17 said:

Better power and FC is surely welcomed. But to save enough fuel to cover the 900 is another thing. 

My calculations Abit different. I calculate based on overall depreciation which includes repairs and replacement of parts and servicing because that adds to the overall cost of ownership. 

Totally agree, and that was what I modeled my cals based on as well - all cost to run (including road tax, insurance, fuel, maintenance etc) + some 30% of maintenance cost as contingency.... At the end of the day, as long as safety is not compromised it is an optional fix. :nurse:

• 1 month later...
On 12/25/2017 at 2:31 PM, Wings17 said:

Oh that's interesting. The fuel consumption got improve? If got improve 10% then it makes economical sense already. 

I'm very interested to know the answer to this as well. My intake manifold has been broken since I took over this car years ago and I never bothered fixing. But may consider fixing on my next ride if it makes economical sense. 

pick up is sluggish with broken manifold. Will be able to detected in diagnostic test, depending on how good is your diagnostic tool.

I won't suggest buying a basic diagnostic tool. Spend a bit more to get a detailed one.

I got a Icarsoft MBII tool for about $300. This diagnosis details is almost on par with original mercs diagnostic software used by most workshop. Important to have one especially if you travel to Malaysia. Allows you to temporary clear faults and continue driving until you reach back SG workshop

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just replaced my intake manifold with an oem unit. I will have the say the car is noticeably more powerful from standstill and at lower rpm (which is most of the time the rpm which I drive at)

Because of the higher power I feel that i give less throttle input when requiring to accelerate or climb uphill. I'm looking at about 10L/100km consumption now. Down from 11.5-12L/100km

I think it's worth it. Almost like a power upgrade. 

• Like 2

Great stuff...talking about power booster. Has anyone tried X1-R (made in USA and NASA endorsement) EON95 boosted to EON98. If full tank, would save about $18 (based on diff pump price between EON95 with EON98,

I was at KSL City (JB) fortnight ago and this salesperson was promoting and got a free sample btl. Have try as yet. Afraid it might cause engine trouble inspite of USA product and NASA tested/certified

Enjoy your weekend...mike