• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Keep W221 beyond 10 yrs

mike9956

Hi Benz Lovers,

I plan to buy a 9yrs old W221 with the intent to renew 10 yrs COE. Would like to solicit your opinion on whether it is worthwhile to do so due to high ageing maintenance cost (not withstanding the known major deficiencies  like airmatic suspension, transmission, ECU board failure). I am newly retire and in the past driven E200/E250AVG/BMW520i/Lexus250/Volvo V70  but not W221

Appreciate your views. Thanks

Hi mike9956,

In terms of upkeep and build quality (more steel, less aluminium, less electronics), the more mechanical based, DIY friendlier models are the W126 and W140.

Depreciation is well cushioned especially with the W126 as it is considered a modern classic. The W140 is also fast gaining that status. Both proven to be very reliable in our humid climate although the W140 suffers from slightly more quirks due to the increased use of electronically controlled parts in the build.

Lastly if you already have a regular workshop that knows the W221 in and out then I say go for it otherwise it will be a love hate journey. 

Hi 2nd gear, good day

thank you on your feedback and I agree with you on the W140 (I like it). Unfortunately, I am not a classic collector. Essentially, I want a low depreciation luxury ride.  I reckon >10 yrs old car is the way to ride towards the sunset. years. Don't foresee clocking >10kkms/yr. As one ages, everything seems to slow down including mileage

In addition, I realized there are SL300s  that clock <70kkms in10 yrs.  Is there a way to verify apart from the odometer. Like they said...never trust a used car salesman nor politician :-)

Apart from a combination of service receipts, records... consistency of interior parts, weather sealing, pulling back the door seals to check for rust, chassis inspection, a good workshop may be able to verify if the car has indeed seen regular servicing at the agent if they have claimed so.

dont be put off by the number of transfers in exceptional cases where the car presents itself well. The owner may have had multiple registration plates swapped or the car may even have been transferred within his/her own family members for insurance ncd protection purposes.

• Like 1

I for one have driven my car since day 1, but on record I'm the second owner. Transfer was made within family members due to NCD purpose.

• Like 2

mike,

Since you had driven E class and 5 series, when it comes to maintenance and repair, just assume that everything for the W221 will be double the price of the equivalent in E and 5. 

I would purchase a 7 yr old car instead of 9 yr for W221. Mainly because the '06 or '07 W221 is the first gen model. Sure to have more glitch than later generation. A slightly newer car will also give you more time to judge whether it is a keeper or a lemon.

Having said that, I would probably not choose an S class to retire with due to its higher operating and maintenance cost. Will probably choose E class instead.

My head says E-class, my heart says S-class. Quite a dilemma. perhaps it's an ego trip. At 7 yrs old, the depreciation is too high for me. At 9yrs, its affordable to determine if it's a keeper.

By the way, would like comment on whether BMW 740L is a better choice for keep ?

Cheers

I had driven both the S and the E. To be honest the S is superior in comfort. But it just seems more like a chauffeur car than a driver car to me.

About the BMW 740L... just look around, do you see many > 10 years old BM 7 series out there on the road? That should tell you something. :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Go for it. Compared to E class, its nicer/more comfy (due to air suspension) and rear leg space is cavernous.

Pls get the S350L instead of S300L because

- more power with comparable or even better fuel consumption

- more standard specs (for C&C) ie power tailgate, electric rear side door blinds

- higher omv (90-100 plus)

- ? better audio system

If you are lucky some versions are more higher specs, look out for these options

eg wood steering, twin moonroof (black glass roof), driving assistance (blind spot monitor), night view assist, rear entertainment, rear aircon control, massage chair, radar cruise etc.

Navigation no point - useless unless update map (can be costly)

W221 pretty common - Spare parts quite easy, even in Malaysia.

and NOT BMW...

• 2 months later...

Hi new member here. Understand from CNC staff that there is a factory security seal. CNC will not service a car with removed or broken seal (possibly done to retune the mileage). If car is serviced w CNC from day 1, mileages and be genuine.

Hi 2nd gear, good day

thank you on your feedback and I agree with you on the W140 (I like it). Unfortunately, I am not a classic collector. Essentially, I want a low depreciation luxury ride.  I reckon >10 yrs old car is the way to ride towards the sunset. years. Don't foresee clocking >10kkms/yr. As one ages, everything seems to slow down including mileage

In addition, I realized there are SL300s  that clock <70kkms in10 yrs.  Is there a way to verify apart from the odometer. Like they said...never trust a used car salesman nor politician :-)

Hi MasterGMT, welcome onboard !

After paying a $1000 deposit (refundable if C&C reported major issue) on a 9.3 yrs old W221. It clocked 95kkms. I took it to C&C Pandan Loop to conduct a 33 points evaluation and software diagnostic. Specify that you want to validate the mileage and date of servicing/repair in past 24 months. It cost me $175 and took 3/4 of a day. To me, it is money well spent and importantly provides peace of mind. In addition, you will know what you are getting in... an objective view of the repair required, if any.  In my case, C&C recommended I replace the undercarriage engine mounting,  change brake fluid (dirty), change ALL brake pads, wheel rim's bolts and nut to original (critical items should use originals) instead of Taiwan OEM interior products.

Last week, I saw on SGmart a 9 yrs old W221 S300L clocked only 12kkms. It's unbelievable...1200km/yr. Even posted a snapshot of the odometer. Curiously, when I called up for viewing, seller said it just been sold. Believe it or not !!

I prefer a 9 yrs car , low affordability and provide sufficient time to evaluate the car road worthiness to extend COE and also bet on a downtrend PQP. If PQP is higher than $45k by April/2017, will scrap the car and repeat the cycle.

cheers...mike

• Like 2

Thanks Mike. PQP is unlikely to go below 45k In next few quarters. How much would the total cost for replacing the parts recommended by CnC?

Just got a w221. The FC when cruising is impressive, far much more efficiency then w220. The w221 is like a ottoman on wheels, very comfy.

Generally, the common major failure of w221 are airmatic suspension (every 80-90kkms), auto transmission and potentially gearbox (> 250kkms). So must budget/factor in for such eventuality.

Rule of thumb...c&c price is at least 30-40% higher than outside workshop. I brought original parts from GoldenLink (sell both genuine and OEM) and pay a trusted/experienced workshop equipped diagnostic tools in Bkt merah to install. Net is 40% cheaper on c&c quote.

Alternatively, you can go to NTUC Comfort workshop (Sparks) at sin ming road. They are white good in service and repair W220, w221. My past E250 and S280L were maintained by them after warranty.

Cheers...mike

• Like 1

Great...one of the reasons W221 is lower risk extending beyond 10yrs as compared to BMW 7 and jaguar XJ

BTW I was offered a 18" rim new original R-class pattern and 4x new Michelin PRIMACY 3 ST for $1800. Anyone has comment that I should re-consider ? I have to commit by next Monday...meanwhile doing my homework..:-)

Great...one of the reasons W221 is lower risk extending beyond 10yrs as compared to BMW 7 and jaguar XJ

BTW I was offered a 18" rim new original R-class pattern and 4x new Michelin PRIMACY 3 ST for $1800. Anyone has comment that I should re-consider ? I have to commit by next Monday...meanwhile doing my homework..:-)

R class factory 18" are 8" in width and run an ET60 offset

S class factory 18" are 8.5" in width and run an ET43 offset

I'd assume based on the offset alone, the R class wheels may be sitting too close to the suspension strut/spring/related components on the S class. Wouldn't know exactly unless a test fitment is done. Also the 1/2 inch wider wheel width might mean a different tyre selection. 

Hi g8crasher, appreciated your comment. I am unaware of the offset implication and seller wasn't explicit about it. She assured me it will be good fitment. Please advise what are the potential adverse impact to the suspension, brake, ride comfort and road noise. I am particularly fussy on noise and comfort. Would you recommend go for it  or should stick to offset 43

Thanks...mike

R class offset won't fit W221.

I am using E class rim at offset 47 and I already need to put on a 6mm spacer for the front. Without the spacer, the rim cannot be fitted on my W221.

The rear at offset 47 is a very close fitting to the airmatic.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi MasterGMT, welcome onboard !

After paying a $1000 deposit (refundable if C&C reported major issue) on a 9.3 yrs old W221. It clocked 95kkms. I took it to C&C Pandan Loop to conduct a 33 points evaluation and software diagnostic. Specify that you want to validate the mileage and date of servicing/repair in past 24 months. It cost me $175 and took 3/4 of a day. To me, it is money well spent and importantly provides peace of mind. In addition, you will know what you are getting in... an objective view of the repair required, if any.  In my case, C&C recommended I replace the undercarriage engine mounting,  change brake fluid (dirty), change ALL brake pads, wheel rim's bolts and nut to original (critical items should use originals) instead of Taiwan OEM interior products.

Last week, I saw on SGmart a 9 yrs old W221 S300L clocked only 12kkms. It's unbelievable...1200km/yr. Even posted a snapshot of the odometer. Curiously, when I called up for viewing, seller said it just been sold. Believe it or not !!

I prefer a 9 yrs car , low affordability and provide sufficient time to evaluate the car road worthiness to extend COE and also bet on a downtrend PQP. If PQP is higher than $45k by April/2017, will scrap the car and repeat the cycle.

cheers...mike

Hi Mike,

We happens to share the same concept of getting 9yr old cars for it's lower depreciation and using that period to evaluate the car condition for COE renewal.

Had previously tried Lexus ES300 for 10 months before changing to my present RX300. 

Coming Dec, will need to repeat the same cycle again of getting car body quote and car hunting.

I had my next aim narrowed down to either a E-Class or S-Class. 

Having learnt very much from this forum, I concluded that the maintenance for W221 will be higher at the expense of greater comfort.

The 33 points checking at C&C was a good tips for newbies like me.

Does having extended warranty from QBE or Optima Werkz helps ?

Hoping to hear more feedback and sharing on the buying, maintaining and scrapping process... Cheers

Does QBE Or Optima provides 10 yrs old extended warranty ? May I know the price ?

What is your desirable PQP price in Dec. ?  or rather you deemed as fair value ?.

My extension trigger price is below $50k before Mar. 17. 

Cheers...mike