• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Getting an Insurance Quote & the Personal Data Protection Act

PearlJam

Today I called AXA for a quote to compare.

Over the telephone, I was led to disclose more and more data.

My opinion is that some of the data asked is not relevant to the generation of a phone quote.

Why would they need your name, IC number, date of birth, mobile number?
The quote should be based on the make of car and the driver's driving history and record.

Once the quote is given, if the motorist decides to proceed, he has to fill in a form with comprehensive data.

Then it is up to both sides to agree to a contract which includes the premium and terms like Excess, etc.

But to disclose so much personal data just to get a quote is quite unfair to the consumer.

I protested a few times but I wanted the quote so I had no choice.

And then I really regretted disclosing all the requested data because the quote was higher than my present insurer.

Damn, big mistake today. 

My advice to those of you who feel the same way as I with regard to PDPA is to give false info.

Give a date of birth that is close to your actual date of birth.

Give a fictitious name and IC

No harm giving your vehicle registration number.

And give a fake mobile number if they are giving you a quote there and then.

Then if the quote is OK, call again, this time giving your correct data.

The premium should be the same.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days