• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

C Coupe 2016 (aka S Coupe look alike) .. C&C launch date ???

Ah Neo

Anyone knows when the new  C-class coupe is coming to C&C ?

COE is probably going to fall continuously over the next 12 months :)

considering scraping my high COE W204 if the timing is right :)

will scrapping or deregistering a 3-4 years old car better than selling it to the dealer/ used car market?

Actually, the best option is to Export your relatively young and good condition car assuming the model is in demand in the Export market. Of course mercedes is always good for Export market. And you get cash instead of LTA rebate from the Exporter immediately.

De-register is the next best option because the Used car dealer will bench-mark the car with the downward trend of the COE price and generally the USED car market will be weak when COE is at the low end of the COE price range. Car dealer will be cautious to hold a large stock of used cars when COE are on the downward trend.

Btw, now is the crucial time to think of car ownership strategy because we are in the beginning of the 10 year COE renewal peak again. Even if your car is relatively young, lose abit now is better then lose more several years down the road (when COE will trend up to the $80-100k range again).

Why?

2005 to 2008 has ~100k new cars registered every year but 2011 to 2014 has less than 30k new cars registered every year.

Come 2016 to 2019, you should have additional ~100k replacement COEs in the market per year. But once COE is on the downward trend starting now in Jan 2016, those due to scrap in 2017 to 2018 will also bring forward their scrap date to catch the low COE trend and for fear that the COE will go up when their time is near.

This causes a slightly snowballed effect where you get even more cars scrap in 2016 and early 2017 and pushes the COE lower still and then those due to scrap in 2019-2021 are "forced" to scrap their cars 4 to 5 years earlier because they cannot wait till their 10 years as the replacement COE quota will be down to ~30k/year.

What happens to those registered in 2012 to 2014 when they have paid high COE to get their new car?

When their car is 10 years old again, the replacement quota is down to 20k/year, they have to pay for >>$80k  high COE again.

Actually, the best option is to Export your relatively young and good condition car assuming the model is in demand in the Export market. Of course mercedes is always good for Export market. And you get cash instead of LTA rebate from the Exporter immediately.

De-register is the next best option because the Used car dealer will bench-mark the car with the downward trend of the COE price and generally the USED car market will be weak when COE is at the low end of the COE price range. Car dealer will be cautious to hold a large stock of used cars when COE are on the downward trend.

Exporting means u get the paper+body (which is the body value) right?

This only applies to near scrap cars, would exporters pay u higher than used car dealers for newer cars of say, 5 or 6 years old?

price of body differs from Exporting or scrap...

scrap car can be crap and incomplete for non-essential items (that is why it is to be scrap) ... but export need to re-fit back to stock condition at your own cost (aka, DIY bodykit needs to be strip back etc)

scrap body get you maybe $50 to $1K

good condition export body may get you up to $10K for E200

• Like 1

I do not think that CoE will ever hit $20k or less.

Reports already said that the car showrooms were packed last weekend following the small drop in CoE prices.

There is a 'scared-to-lose-out' herd mentality here so the CoE prices will yo-yo around the $40k region, I think.

Furthermore, CoE prices are not controlled by buyers but by the big car distributors.  Only a recession will force them to tender lower because then they cannot sell.

And there are still many cash-rich people around who are well-insulated against any economic downturn.

LTA has just announced that there will be more CoEs for Feb to April 2016

I wonder if LTA is trying to cool down the fever as CoE prices are expected to shoot up after last tender's fall.

Of course there is no reason for LTA to cool down the prices as these are huge revenues but there is a looming world economic downturn.

So if the exuberance is not capped and CoEs go sky-high, any recession will greatly affect many of these car buyers.

I still remember 2012 / 2013 when every day and night I see tow trucks towing in repossessed cars into yards near my home.

And when I went to Turf City to view auction cars, I saw cars with office documents, brief cases, product samples, brochures, child seats, toys, etc still inside those repossessed cars. 

Distributor/Agent always win, I own 2012 C180K COE $55k I calculated last time showroom made $30 plus from my car with my car, dep at $13.5k plus. But last time I ask W205 show room made more than $40k COE at $60k, dep close to $17k. That's why for next car I am considering to get from PI for my next car to lessen the premium charged by distributor/agent. This just personal opinion with rough calculation. .

How low will the COE reach during this off peak period.

Guess many are waiting for it to hit 10/20k range before going in to buy new car again

well...LTA and MAS can change rule anytime (like the 1.6l C180 & 1.5l BMW318) all become Cat B and 50% downpayment 5 yr loan etc), plus PAP will have additional inputs come election year.

If LTA decides to keep stock of the high COE replacement to spread out the COE quota over a longer period or re-classfication of cars again, so $10/20k COE is anybody's guess.

But one thing that was annouced is that Cat A benefit the most. 20% Open Cat drop to 10% Open Cat quota and more quota are given to Cat A at the expense of Cat B and Vans/Goods.

So I believe the Cat A cars like A Class, B Class, CLA180 and GLA 180 will be a common sight on the road.

Of course we will see extremely more Cat A Honda Vezel on the road (due to its crazy $10k emmision rebate and lower profit margin by parallel importers)

Distributor/Agent always win, I own 2012 C180K COE $55k I calculated last time showroom made $30 plus from my car with my car, dep at $13.5k plus. But last time I ask W205 show room made more than $40k COE at $60k, dep close to $17k. That's why for next car I am considering to get from PI for my next car to lessen the premium charged by distributor/agent. This just personal opinion with rough calculation. .

typically, for C&C, its entry level (A,B,C Class) gross margin $50K, mainstream E class $80K, then S-class $100K. this type of profit margin are similar for most high volume luxury brand dealers with lavish showrooom, free refreshments, pretty and knowledgeable sales agents :)

To upkeep all these, the net margins are lower but then again, they kotok you again by charging $500/- per servicing just to replace your engine oil and $200/- for a battery renewal.

• Like 1

typically, for C&C, its entry level (A,B,C Class) gross margin $50K, mainstream E class $80K, then S-class $100K. this type of profit margin are similar for most high volume luxury brand dealers with lavish showrooom, free refreshments, pretty and knowledgeable sales agents :)

To upkeep all these, the net margins are lower but then again, they kotok you again by charging $500/- per servicing just to replace your engine oil and $200/- for a battery renewal.

One way to avoid is to buy second hand, or renew the coe when due..

For renewing, even should the coe pqp hit 100k, the annual dep is only around 11-12k, compared to current lower coe scenario where new W205 selling 181k (annual dep 16k), which consist of the huge margin CnC is charging.

And not forgetting also, if one drives a old-scheme Cat A car, he will likely save a few more k when he renews it, as it should have been Cat B in new scheme.

One way to avoid is to buy second hand, or renew the coe when due..

For renewing, even should the coe pqp hit 100k, the annual dep is only around 11-12k, compared to current lower coe scenario where new W205 selling 181k (annual dep 16k), which consist of the huge margin CnC is charging.

And not forgetting also, if one drives a old-scheme Cat A car, he will likely save a few more k when he renews it, as it should have been Cat B in new scheme.

Very true. Those looking at lowest depreciation has to extend COE or surf sgcarmart everyday :)