• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

CoE - someone please explain.

PearlJam

According to a report on the CoE result in today's ST, a car dealer said:

" . . CoE (prices) will dip below $50'000. . . " and 

"When that happens, cars bought between 2011 and 2013 will start to be scrapped - and there will be even more CoEs available."

He said he is already seeing some of these cars being deregistered as vehicles bought with $80'000 - $90'000 CoEs become commercially unviable when premiums are below $60'000 - and heading lower.

I cannot understand why and where is the benefit of de-registering the 2 to 4 year old cars in terms of losses on the cars.

Can someone who understands what this is about, please explain? Thanks.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

say bot 2 years ago at a high COE of 80k + dealer's profit 20k. Total 100k.

if held for full 10 years, the depreciation per year will be fully realised ie 10k per year.

scrap now can get back 80%, which is 64k of COE value, which can be used to offset new car purchase & avoiding the 10k depreciation

new COE 50k + 20k dealer's profit, total 70k = 7k depreciation a year.

above is a very simplistic example with only 2 variables for illustration.

this is cutting loses, to achieve lower depreciation with new car purchased

it assumes one is able to replace a car whose price has reflected the drop in COE prices

Pearljam

Did any dealer offer to scrap your car for you or contact you? Or what makes you think about the scrap value and the parf value?

I had dealer who call me and say if i scarp my car before 2015, I can get back 75k. But I reject him as I need to pay back the bank loan so I don't gain any money

Victoria Concordia Crescit

Translation: Victory grows out of harmony.

I only had a dealer offering me $1'000 above my paper value if I bought his new C180 (new but registered).

Doesn't make sense for me.

I prefer a C200.

And I prefer to buy direct from an owner as I do not need dealer's financing.