• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

CLA-180 vs CLA-200

lwang065

Hi, I am torn between going for a new CLA-180 and have it mod to CLA-200 specs, or just go for the CLA-200.  But current price of CLA-200 is about $13k more.  May I have views/advice on which to go for, please?  

Things to consider, how to avoid voiding the warranty for the mod CLA-180?  What are the potential downside for modding?  If the OMV of the CLA-180 and CLA-200 different?  

Apologies if the answers are available elsewhere, but I've tried searching and did not find any conclusive views.  Thanks

Hi, I am torn between going for a new CLA-180 and have it mod to CLA-200 specs, or just go for the CLA-200.  But current price of CLA-200 is about $13k more.  May I have views/advice on which to go for, please?  

Things to consider, how to avoid voiding the warranty for the mod CLA-180?  What are the potential downside for modding?  If the OMV of the CLA-180 and CLA-200 different?  

Apologies if the answers are available elsewhere, but I've tried searching and did not find any conclusive views.  Thanks

Based on C&C's latest price list dated 10 Dec 2015, the difference between the CLA180 and the CLA200 is $7000. Basically both cars are identical and exactly the same, the only difference you're paying for would be how the engine's ECU is tuned by Mercedes. 120Bhp vs 154Bhp. There are of course aftermarket tuning options (piggyback or ECU flash) which will bring the CLA180 on par with the CLA200 for less than a fraction of the cost. That being said, you can also tune the CLA200 for even greater power. 

If you did some research on the used car market, there is not much difference between the OMV (around $27k) of both cars. As mentioned, they are basically the same except for the factory engine tune. Resale prices for both cars are also almost identical. You will have to judge it yourself if spending the extra $7k for an increase of 34Bhp is worth it and I believe that would be your decision. Try out both cars and have a feel of driving them before deciding.

On a side note, it would make a greater difference if you are considering the CLA250 which comes with a different (2L) engine. OMV ($35k) and resale pricing will be higher as with the purchasing price but it does produce 208Bhp stock. 0-100 timing also drops substantially.

post-105-0-48736800-1449967702_thumb.png

Warranty wise, the rule of thumb is warranty will be void for whatever part you mod. If you tuned your engine and if fails, don't expect to claim warranty for it. That being said it's still based on a case by case basis and how you fight for your case. So as the seniors will tell you, "want mod don't scared, scared don't mod".

• Like 1

Hi, Thank you for your replies.  The listed price difference is indeed $7k, but because there is a x-mas discount for the CLA-180 (but not the CLA-200), the gap widens to $13k.  

Would probably just go for the 180 and do the piggy-back, if the module can be removed before sending to agent for servicing, or otherwise, install after the warranty expires.

Would probably just go for the 180 and do the piggy-back, if the module can be removed before sending to agent for servicing, or otherwise, install after the warranty expires.

101% can remove module before going to agent... one of the reason why it is called piggy-bag or Plug-N-Play.

• Like 1

Retired from Modding since 2012
G13B Cultus | GC8C WRX STi RA | SR20DET S15 Hiper Silvia  | E82 135i M-Sports   W176 A250 AMG Sports