• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Merc driver dies after car caught fire at Queensway

winterfly

Its an R-class Merc. According to updated news and witnesses, the car caught fire first before crashing and the driver tried to get out but the car door could not be opened due to electronics failure. He was later burnt to death in the burning car.

12309620_966049176786995_119891601612198

which is y u can also disable it.

Can you really disable it?

Once I took a corner really fast and suddenly all the door locks unlocked automatically.

I checked and found out that in an emergency situation, the auto-lock function will unlock all the doors.

In this case, probably the electrical fire affected this emergency function before the car crashed.

I think there is a legal liability case here!  The auto-lock system failed!

Can you really disable it?

Once I took a corner really fast and suddenly all the door locks unlocked automatically.

I checked and found out that in an emergency situation, the auto-lock function will unlock all the doors.

In this case, probably the electrical fire affected this emergency function before the car crashed.

I think there is a legal liability case here! The auto-lock system failed!

Yes you can disable the autolock function from the center instrument cluster menu.

I don't get it. I thought the pulling of the door catch from the inside is more of a mechanical system working which is not solely dependent on electronics. How does an electronic failure cause the door not to open from the inside?

Or is the R class built differently?

• Like 2

Yes you can disable the autolock function from the center instrument cluster menu.

another way is to press and hold the unlock button on the side door for 10 sec...

to turn back on auto lock, u press n hold the lock button on the side of the door for 10sec (u will hear a beep for this)

I don't get it. I thought the pulling of the door catch from the inside is more of a mechanical system working which is not solely dependent on electronics. How does an electronic failure cause the door not to open from the inside?

Or is the R class built differently?

probably driver alrdy fainted after crashing...

I agree. i don't think it's the central lock problem that failed. Central lock is only electronically controlled to lock the door, but opening of the door is still mechanical.

The report says that the indian workers smash the window and try to open the car from the inside.

With our central lock enabled and car lock on, Merc can still open the door from inside (unlike japanese car). Its a safety feature.

My guess that when the car crash, it may have jammed the door lock mechanism

Anyone can comment ?

In a fire, all bets are off. Even if the electronics disengage the lock, the expansion of metals may jam the door into the pillars. Or deform/melt the lock components.

Moral of the story? When your vehicle is on fire - evacuate as soon as possible. Everything else can wait. 

i think Mercs has a safety feature to unlock all doors when a significant impact is measured by onboard computer. 

i ran a porthole on some expressway (singapore, TPE towards  Changi, middle lane i guess)  

the car immediately unlock the car ... 

• Like 1

Most likely he knocked out due to inhaling too much of the fumes or smoke.

In a car when it is burning , smoke fill up the cabin quite fast less than a min or so (assuming the smoke already leaks into the cabin)

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.