• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

E edition vs W213

www888

Went down to showroom. E edition comes with beautiful AMG rims. Longitudinally brushed aluminium trim -- neutral about this.

Comes in both E200 and E250. I think E250 will offer better drive due to higher BHP and torque.

But W213 is also around the corner. Most likely launch in about a year's time.

What do you think? Wait for W213 or go for E edition?

I think the W213 is a much sweeter offering both in terms of aesthetics and engineering. What I would not put up with most in the current E & CLA is the dated dash..

Not forgetting the W213 would ship with the long awaited and highly acclaimed 9G tronic... something to give the ZF8 a run for the money.

• Like 1

Some consideration if you were to go for W213:

1. It will be more expensive than current W212, just look at the price of the new C-class vs the old one as a reference.

2. You will have to wait a long time for it to come to SG as many would want a new model. Months of waiting time guaranteed.

3. You will be buying the first production run of a new model. Sure to have some gremlins.

Knowing the W213 is coming, it will be foolish to get the W212 even if you get the "special" Edition E (w212) with extras.

Why? Because the drop in yr W212 will be damn HUGE!

I will suggest you buy something else in the meantime and wait.

Patience is virtue.

I made the same mistake. I went to ask about the W204. The salesman told me it will be end of next year but he can give me very special price on the W203. I lost my mind and bought the Sport Edition. But few months later the W204 was released. I even got an invitation to the special preview!! I'm satisfied with my Sport Edition which has a few options which the early W204 does not have yet but the diff in value between W203 & W204 is very significant now even if a few months difference.

Anyway the price depends on the prevailing CoE. And being a Mercedes, Vincar and SanHupBee will bring the PI in very fast so Daimler cannot afford to delay too.

And my W203 had lots of gremlins too. 3 months old, gearbox leaked oil completely. If parked in open car lots, might never know about the leak. 6 months old, water leaked into engine via water pump. Engine over-heated, engine oil became Milo. 1+ years later, knocking sound from steering when parking. It was never resolved, I gave up and lived with it until 2 years ago when my JB friend's mechanic changed the bushing and solved it! 4 years old, windscreen washer decided to go on holiday, never bothered to fix it till today. Auto left-side mirror dipping (when in reverse gear) refused to return to original position. I think they changed the motor twice, still the same till today. Driver's memory seat never returns to stored position. They replaced the motor. Few months after warranty, same story till today. Sorry but the supposedly Mercedes quality was not there.

In conclusion, sorry for the long-winded reply, WAIT for the W213 if you must be seen behind the Star.

Or else be prepared for heartache when I park my W213 next to your 'old' model W212. With the world economy down, maybe CoE drops to $30k and the W213 is $220k? But I will never buy it at $260k. It's just not worth while. Money not so easy to earn now. :)

the other way to look at it is how often you change your ride/ or ride cycle life span for you

I known of a friend who knows what he is in for

Get the end of life model

freebies/ huge discount/ special editions etc and drive the car for 5 years or more

plus, the latest version will usually need 1 year or so to iron out the flaws and issues

so by the time to change car, It will be at least the facelifted version of the Newer model..

Thanks everyone for advice. C&C is offering AMG trim, over trade and service credits. But still no navi. For a car selling at roughly $250k for E200 and $11k more for E250, Mercedes really should do better! Before latest S class was launched, I found it hilarious to see S class cars with Garmin GPS for navi. Most premium brand but also most poor features.

Knowing the W213 is coming, it will be foolish to get the W212 even if you get the "special" Edition E (w212) with extras.

Why? Because the drop in yr W212 will be damn HUGE!

I will suggest you buy something else in the meantime and wait.

Patience is virtue.

I made the same mistake. I went to ask about the W204. The salesman told me it will be end of next year but he can give me very special price on the W203. I lost my mind and bought the Sport Edition. But few months later the W204 was released. I even got an invitation to the special preview!! I'm satisfied with my Sport Edition which has a few options which the early W204 does not have yet but the diff in value between W203 & W204 is very significant now even if a few months difference.

Anyway the price depends on the prevailing CoE. And being a Mercedes, Vincar and SanHupBee will bring the PI in very fast so Daimler cannot afford to delay too.

And my W203 had lots of gremlins too. 3 months old, gearbox leaked oil completely. If parked in open car lots, might never know about the leak. 6 months old, water leaked into engine via water pump. Engine over-heated, engine oil became Milo. 1+ years later, knocking sound from steering when parking. It was never resolved, I gave up and lived with it until 2 years ago when my JB friend's mechanic changed the bushing and solved it! 4 years old, windscreen washer decided to go on holiday, never bothered to fix it till today. Auto left-side mirror dipping (when in reverse gear) refused to return to original position. I think they changed the motor twice, still the same till today. Driver's memory seat never returns to stored position. They replaced the motor. Few months after warranty, same story till today. Sorry but the supposedly Mercedes quality was not there.

In conclusion, sorry for the long-winded reply, WAIT for the W213 if you must be seen behind the Star.

Or else be prepared for heartache when I park my W213 next to your 'old' model W212. With the world economy down, maybe CoE drops to $30k and the W213 is $220k? But I will never buy it at $260k. It's just not worth while. Money not so easy to earn now. :)

It was quite well known that Mercedes was cutting corners for the w203 to save on costs, hence the quality issues during the Daimler-Chrysler days post 2000 till 2006.

树大必有枯枝,人多必有白痴。

树无皮必死无疑,人不要脸天下无敌!

Get a w205 c180 or c200 with amg kit that has enough updated merc technology to last another 5 years, save the remaining cash n invest it over 5 years and then decide in 5 yrs time if you like the W213 still..by then prob FL model with latest gizmo and reduced all the gremlins associated with new gearbox esp.

Thanks for advice. Did consider W205. Test drove the AMG line W205 -- doesn't feel like a real solid Merc like the E class. The suspension of the W205 AMG line did not settle well during the test drive. Thus thinking of E edition or W213 instead.

Get a w205 c180 or c200 with amg kit that has enough updated merc technology to last another 5 years, save the remaining cash n invest it over 5 years and then decide in 5 yrs time if you like the W213 still..by then prob FL model with latest gizmo and reduced all the gremlins associated with new gearbox esp.

Thanks for advice. Did consider W205. Test drove the AMG line W205 -- doesn't feel like a real solid Merc like the E class. The suspension of the W205 AMG line did not settle well during the test drive. Thus thinking of E edition or W213 instead.

Did u try the avantgarde version then? Understd amg line has sports suspension which is stiffer..

An opinion, as the saying goes, is like an  ..  anus  ..., everyone has one!

So you asked for our opinions and so we all gave you ours.

Now money in different pockets make different clanging sounds.

And an E-class shopper is not likely going to be looking at a C-class, me say.

Editon E, W213?  Only you can make the decision.

Anyway, Kai Xin Jiu Hao.

In any case, I do not think that car technology today will last for 5 years.

Soon, Active Lane Assist, Blind Spot Assist, Collision Assist, Autonomous Drive etc etc will be standard in all cars, just like ABS and ESP are standard items now.

Tesla was talking about the ability to upgrade the softwares in their cars off-air, just like how we upgrade the softwares in our mobile phones.

Of course we can still continue to drive a car that is 10 or 20 years old and be perfectly happy with it.  I sometimes yearn for those early years when cars were simpler and we spent Saturday afternoons tinkling with them.

In fact we were just talking about the internal combustion engine going out of fashion in as early as the next 5, 8 or 10 years with alternate fuel technology so advanced now.

Remember the film camera?  With digital photography, suddenly the film camera went the way of the dodo!  And so very quickly that Kodak went under.

As for me, with the VW diesel fiasco, other makers like MB, Honda, Mitsubishi, Audi and others are apparently also afflicted, I am holding my breath for the 2016 Prius!  But I wish I can have a Tesla S!  Or China BYD (backed by Warren Buffet) can build a Tesla copy at Prius prices?

But do let us know what you have decided on and permit us to congratulate you on your decision.

Sometimes I do find it really funny.... You wanted to buy a car... Then decided to ask in forum.... SERIOUSLY??? Buy what you like... or realistically... what you can afford... you ask from people whom you don't know personally..... and you will get 3 paragraph of pros and cons... something which you already know.... let me tell you this.... Go home... ask your wife... listen to her... then you go to showroom with her and see her reaction to the cars.... and since you are already equipped with the cash to buy... Just buy what your wife like... simple as that... 

• Like 2

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

Thanks everyone for advice. C&C is offering AMG trim, over trade and service credits. But still no navi. For a car selling at roughly $250k for E200 and $11k more for E250, Mercedes really should do better! Before latest S class was launched, I found it hilarious to see S class cars with Garmin GPS for navi. Most premium brand but also most poor features.

How much overtrade did cnc offer? Last checked is 25k overtrade and 8k of service credit

• 1 month later...

I just bought mine E 200 Edition E with delivery in January. The AMG line just impressed me with 18" rim 245/40 front and 265/35 rear. Overall look OK. Happy as of now until the 213 is launched. I understand it will be late 2016 and most likely 2017. Frankly, it was a hard decision between the Edition and BMW 520 sport edition.

I just bought mine E 200 Edition E with delivery in January. The AMG line just impressed me with 18" rim 245/40 front and 265/35 rear. Overall look OK. Happy as of now until the 213 is launched. I understand it will be late 2016 and most likely 2017. Frankly, it was a hard decision between the Edition and BMW 520 sport edition.

You mind sharing how much you got the car for?

树大必有枯枝,人多必有白痴。

树无皮必死无疑,人不要脸天下无敌!

I have extra features like sunroof, 360 degree plus lane tracking. So, may not be apple to apple comparison. Can pm me or call my mobile

Wow! Those are cool options, along with the AMG kit. Did you go for Comand? If not get it retrofitted and the car is pretty much perfect! 

Not cheap. these features sunroof, 360 degree and lane tracking are $11K on top of the basic S$260k =$271K when I booked in November. Of course, basic price now is S$262K reflecting the increase in  COE. Actual price paid depends on overtrade offered and your old car. 

• 1 month later...

collected my car last wednesday. so far ride ok. happy as of now. but, once new model is launched, may not be that happy anymore.

trade in and buy again......

• Like 1

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

Not trying to rub salt but that is a damn bloody bad decision cos the Edition E, I understand, is now being sold at $220'000+

And when the W213 comes out with all those new technology, sibeh jialat!

Trade-in?  Ya, how much will C&C offer you for the W212?