• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

CLA200 vs CLA250

D3x

Hi,could you all pls share your thoughts on the cla250 vs the cla200. Assuming that i will spec the Cla200 with the AMG line, does it then make sense to just go for the 250 instead? For the sake of argument, lets say price diff is an additional 10k? Thanks in advance.

Thanks, just wondering if it would be tough reselling a cla250 in the future, since the price range will be that of a C180/C200?

Also, to clarify I'm considering the shooting brake version.

Thanks bros.

Thanks, fell in love with the SB so will still go for it. Just that the 200sb with amg kit brings the price so close to the 250 (which is priced with kit already), thus the query to my 1st post.

Of course, power is never enough but dont need to overkill also (i think)?

• Like 1

The CLA, just like the A and B class, will probably have the least responsive accelerator pedal you have ever used. Also the gearbox is very, very eager to upshift. You often end up cruising the expressway at 1100-1400rpm, which is frankly quite ridiculous. Therefore the feeling of slowness.

But the power IS there. These engine specs do not lie. There's a lot of torque. And more importantly, it's available at a very low RPM.

In terms of power delivery,  selecting a bigger engine might not improve responsiveness because there already is quite a bit of power.

What might work better is to really push the accelerator pedal all the way in to utilise the power. And to manually override the gears when you need the power.

With that in mind, test-drive the cars again to come to a decision.

Thanks for your views - really appreciate them. For me looks/uniqueness of the car is a major factor, thus the C180 is out (i admit CLA's looks is very subjective). Initially i was prepared to just go for the 200sb but after spec'ing it with the amg kit and realising the price diff versus the Sb250 (with kit) im reconsidering again..

Sb can get the Orange art edition very nice sure eye and head turner

the Orange Art is additional 15k, and I think its in addition to the AMG line. Maybe just paste orange tape? haha..

the Orange Art is additional 15k, and I think its in addition to the AMG line. Maybe just paste orange tape? haha..

Wha 15k incease from base? Then not really worth the Orange sticker, stitches in the interior and lights.

How about the c200 estate or have you considered any other make beside merc? Like the Mazda 6 wagon.

The CLA, just like the A and B class, will probably have the least responsive accelerator pedal you have ever used. Also the gearbox is very, very eager to upshift. You often end up cruising the expressway at 1100-1400rpm, which is frankly quite ridiculous. Therefore the feeling of slowness.

But the power IS there. These engine specs do not lie. There's a lot of torque. And more importantly, it's available at a very low RPM.

In terms of power delivery, selecting a bigger engine might not improve responsiveness because there already is quite a bit of power.

What might work better is to really push the accelerator pedal all the way in to utilise the power. And to manually override the gears when you need the power.

On the contrary, I find the 1.6 engines unrefined even when stepping hard the torque is only good for traffic light to traffic light. For ease of changing lanes and safety best to get 350nm of torque and above if can afford as most of the cars in that range are so expensive.

Wha 15k incease from base? Then not really worth the Orange sticker, stitches in the interior and lights

On the contrary, I find the 1.6 engines unrefined even when stepping hard the torque is only good for traffic light to traffic light. For ease of changing lanes and safety best to get 350nm of torque and above if can afford as most of the cars in that range are so expensive.

The interior aircon vents dashboard area and seats should be upgraded for orange edition. I would prefer the edition 1 version. Haha. Red.

Dun forget w great power also come great fuel? :D

• Like 1

I have been driving the CLA180 for 3months plus, initially the car is really not very responsive as the gear shifts up so quickly as many bro commented. Over the months, either the car learn my driving habits of wanting a better pick up thus shift up later or because I press the accelerator more, the responsiveness improved greatly. It's now really a pleasure driving the CLA180. Able to pull off very quickly at junction and at mid range speed. The kick in of the turbo at mid range speed is impressive during overtaking at expressway. Guessed its different from the jap cars which a little tap on the accelerator and it flies due to the lighter weight.

• Like 1

The 1.6 engine already bad fuel consumption so if 2l bad at least better performance is there.

Sometimes bigger cc can have same or slightly more fc only as don't need to rev to red line to get the car going

Sure or not. Ha. U yet try old model madza 3. That's bad FC.