• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Is owning a Merc worthwhile to you?

heidtb

Have you ever felt like owning a Merc isn't what it is made out to be? Recently been asking my self this question, curious what fellow owners think.

I'm sure for those top end range of Merc that it's undeniable but for those bnb models (180/200) is it really worth?

Is/was the extra 50-100k on a bnb Merc model worth over a non-conti counterpart? Or really it's just the badge?

• Like 2

I drove a civic, an altis and a honda stream. C180 is my 4th car. In terms of comfort, finishing quality and stability, c180 is much better than the japanese counterparts. My bro in law drives a bmw and my sis drives a VW cabriolet. Comparatively, the cost of wear and tear parts are cheaper for merc. Surprisingly, the parts for merc is comparative to a honda part. More surprisingly, the parts are more durable. Absolute cost is high, but overall experience and quality, merc is a better choice. If financially i am capable, I will not turn back to japanese or korean car. However, of an owner is looking for bhp, I guess for a value for money car, a nissan GTR or a WRX STI will definitely be more worthwhile. I bought a merc not for power, but for overall experience

• Like 2

I drove a civic, an altis and a honda stream. C180 is my 4th car. In terms of comfort, finishing quality and stability, c180 is much better than the japanese counterparts. My bro in law drives a bmw and my sis drives a VW cabriolet. Comparatively, the cost of wear and tear parts are cheaper for merc. Surprisingly, the parts for merc is comparative to a honda part. More surprisingly, the parts are more durable. Absolute cost is high, but overall experience and quality, merc is a better choice. If financially i am capable, I will not turn back to japanese or korean car. However, of an owner is looking for bhp, I guess for a value for money car, a nissan GTR or a WRX STI will definitely be more worthwhile. I bought a merc not for power, but for overall experience

I see so the money is worth while for your case. Maybe for the past generations jap car there is a bigger gap in quality?

Test drove a Mazda 6 2.5 and against a c180 and I don't get where the 60k premium on the Merc went?

When bought my Merc I just went down showroom and buy no question asked cause thinking Merc is superior in all aspect.

I see so the money is worth while for your case. Maybe for the past generations jap car there is a bigger gap in quality?

Test drove a Mazda 6 2.5 and against a c180 and I don't get where the 60k premium on the Merc went?

When bought my Merc I just went down showroom and buy no question asked cause thinking Merc is superior in all aspect.

Hi, but isnt Mazda 6 comparable to E class instead?

My overall experience with Merc.. More on branding. The ergonomic seat isnt so ergo for asian build.. Jap feels much easier to handle.

But suspension merc is good. without the turbo, NA engine jap may perform better?

Above just my personal thoughts.

Hi

Like what Baby said isn't Mazda 6 compare to E klass.

C klass should be compare to Mazda 3, Toyota Altis, VW Jetta, Kia Forte, BMW 3 series and etc.

E Klass compares to Mazda 6, Toyota Camry, VW Passat, Kia Optima, BMW 5 and etc.

I also second what Decruzyong said on spare parts. Spare parts are definitely cheaper then most other Jap brands, and we mean its just spare parts price. As one may get spare parts from "interesting" workshop who likes "carrots", so these places may jack up super space high. Hence some people feel Merc is costly. What I had see thru the years is that when it is a super brand new model, Mercedes then to hold the spare part price whereas after max of 3 years, the prices of these spare parts drops alot due to Mercedes allows various OEM.

Also buying Mercedes is for some, a Brand, Status quo and resale value especially for our local market.

I always like these phase

"Once a Mercedes, Always a Mercedes."

"BMW is to Drive, Mercedes is to be driven"

• Like 2

Isn't that even worse? Comparing a Mazda 6 to e class is a 100k difference in price and even more ???

Basic maintenance most conti are linear to Japanese but it's when the parts or electronics break that the higher cost come in.

I'm asking more of the angle that say you only drive 1-2hours per day max and another car can give u an equal pleasure at much lower cost. I don't get the resale value part as isn't it buy high sell high? The car will still depre at 15-20k per year before selling at 3-5yr?

For the brand and image etc, imho after owning I don't find it makes a difference but from the replies it seems many fellow owners feel the passion for the brand and have no regrets.

My 2 cents here.. If u compare with the same class, the difference is definitely there.

Taking from my experience with my previous cars, proton wira (actually, can't in any area lol), Nissan sunny, subaru TS and C180.

No brained which one takes the cake.

It won't be fair to compare the C180 to another class I've owned, Subaru Legacy GT. If I'm not wrong, it's flagship vs entry level.

Frankly speaking, sometimes, I do miss the scooby...

Edit:

Forgot to add.. If u consider worthiness for the extra premium paid for the car, there are a couple things to consider..

Resale (only applicable if u sell it yourself)

Reliability and costs of parts mentioned above

Intangibles... Some badge whore feel is definitely there lol

But it is not easy to see those... One may still for for the upfront cheaper option. After all, new cars of all makes all feel the same as new.

Isn't that even worse? Comparing a Mazda 6 to e class is a 100k difference in price and even more ???

Basic maintenance most conti are linear to Japanese but it's when the parts or electronics break that the higher cost come in.

I'm asking more of the angle that say you only drive 1-2hours per day max and another car can give u an equal pleasure at much lower cost. I don't get the resale value part as isn't it buy high sell high? The car will still depre at 15-20k per year before selling at 3-5yr?

For the brand and image etc, imho after owning I don't find it makes a difference but from the replies it seems many fellow owners feel the passion for the brand and have no regrets.

I've come to realize that there won't be good resale value with any make as long as you sell your car to any used car dealer.

Somewhere last year for fun I checked out the Sgcarmart and I was pleasantly surprised that my C was pretty much holding up its value on the market for a 4 year old. The same cannot be spoken for, say, the scooby.

Lol. Bro, think u need to upgrade to a "bull" or horse" to feel the brand image. Ha

I've come to realize that there won't be good resale value with any make as long as you sell your car to any used car dealer.

Somewhere last year for fun I checked out the Sgcarmart and I was pleasantly surprised that my C was pretty much holding up its value on the market for a 4 year old. The same cannot be spoken for, say, the scooby.

performance car is like vomit price in the used car segment. With the recent inflation by used car dealers, all cars look like hold their value with same depre like a big scam but that's another story

Lol. Bro, think u need to upgrade to a "bull" or horse" to feel the brand image. Ha

Haha not to that extend but you know how it was put forth that bmw is executive level , merc is boss level, audi is somewhere there but want to be different. Just thought I would have that feeling you know?

Key considerations for me are budget & reliability.

Would have bought Qashqai, price then was $117k (no overtrade, 45k COE rebate) but TC couldnt even advise maintenance package cost at that time. 

A180 Style was $137k (5k overtrade, 55k COE rebate), service credits could cover 3yrs maintenance.

So the diff for me was less than 15k for a tried, tested & reliable brand (having previously owned A150 which was still roadworthy in its 10th year). 

Looking back, if I had gone for the Qashqai, likely I would have to top up for COE or not even get it - but at that point, that never occurred as a possibility.

Well, guess it boils down to what you want. I wanted to try a conti after having 3 japanese cars. I did look for reliability. True that a merc may have some problems like key issue, but i think that is all. I have not seen other issues like wear and tear. Merc has been in Singapore for years and it is very surprising that despite it comes from Germany, the engines are suitable for our climate. Unlike BMW, VW and other conti cars, merc seldom has gear box and engine issues. Thus, with that readings and asking, I chose merc. And I strongly believe that my choice is right, because, other than being noisy, it is running nicely even after the engine reaching its 5th year

Hehehe, actually Merc no diff from sushi or kimchi... Its still a mass production car.

Of course Merc shd be better as the budget to build per car is higher than jap of the same cat, usually.

I owned the odyssey RB3 prior to w212FL advant.

Difference:

Honda is a easier to handle and better road feedback, i can even feel it when a tyre got punctured by nail. (Never able to feel in E class but depend on the sensor)

Sound proofing dont seems much difference tho.

But suspension is Merc much better.

Afterall, i like the handsome bossy look of my Merc but the size of odyssey..lol

want value for $$$.... buy a Jipun car... anything else is just your own demon manipulation.... All those crap of better branding... better suspension... better this better that... end of the day, it's because I WANT TO SHOW OFF!!!..... simple as that..... Pocket bo lui nehmind.... 

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

For me, I used to have self-doubt that owning a Merc wasn't worth the hype because it is much more expensive to begin with, and service is more expensive as well.

But that was at the beginning. After owning my W212 for close to 1.5 yrs, I appreciate the brand much more now. Every time I take other people's car, it reaffirms my decision that Merc is indeed one of the best, if not the best.

The materials used in the cabin is second to none. The comfort whether in the back or the front is absolute. The car is well engineered and feels safe. And nothing beats the history of the brand.

Having said that, I think Merc is hugely overprice in Singapore, which is why I can understand this question of "worthiness". And why you compare Mazda 6 vs C-Class. In USA, the price gap between 6 and C is around US$20K, but here it is about S$70K diff? WTF!

Then again, any car can bring you from A to B. I still look at those "crazy" Porsche 911 price and asked myself whether they are really worth S$200K~300K more than the E-Class?! Maybe when I finally lay my hands on the 911 then I will understand…. :)

For me, Merc = Safety for my family

There is no price for safety

With so many strange accidents on the road nowadays, you will wish you are in a Merc should such an accident happens

Unless LTA allows tanks on a road, I will buy and drive a tank to protect my family's safety haha

Otherwise, if all cars brand are built equally strong, I would just pick a Chery QQ

For me, Merc = Safety for my family

There is no price for safety

With so many strange accidents on the road nowadays, you will wish you are in a Merc should such an accident happens

Unless LTA allows tanks on a road, I will buy and drive a tank to protect my family's safety haha

Otherwise, if all cars brand are built equally strong, I would just pick a Chery QQ

Is Merc harder than the rest? Thought it depends on the ncap

Having said that, I think Merc is hugely overprice in Singapore, which is why I can understand this question of "worthiness". And why you compare Mazda 6 vs C-Class. In USA, the price gap between 6 and C is around US$20K, but here it is about S$70K diff? WTF!

mazda 3 and A class is 38k and 40k respectively in Aussie even more funny

Whatever brands we chose. That piece of paper called COE still same price for all.

Doen not make logical sense for me to pay 150k or more for mazda when the COE cost 30%.

Pay abit more for merc the COE cost lowered to maybe 23-25%.

Same shit piece of paper at least i have a better chance with a pretty chick. Lol

• Like 1

Whatever brands we chose. That piece of paper called COE still same price for all.

Doen not make logical sense for me to pay 150k or more for mazda when the COE cost 30%.

Pay abit more for merc the COE cost lowered to maybe 23-25%.

Same shit piece of paper at least i have a better chance with a pretty chick. Lol

I find my merc lousy when I need to go workshop for repair

Why got so many sensors here and there for what !

Here got error code there got error code....

jin jia jialat leh

But when I on the NSHW, I find that my Merc is damn shiok leh

160km/h...... zai zai with more to go

From there, those minor issues nevermind leow :)

• Like 3