• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Keyless Security

If I switched on the engine and left the vehicle unattended, anyone can drive it off right?

Does it mean Keyless is not a good security feature?

Please advise.

2006 - 2013 Hyundai Tucson

2013 - 2015 Honda Steam

2015 - Present Mercedes E250 Coupe

For keyless, once the vehicle senses that the key is not within the proximity of the vehicle, the engine will shutdown. If you leave the key in the car then I guess it doesn't matter if it's keyless or not, anyone can still drive the car away,

If I do not recall wrongly key not in range u still can drive for 20km before engine cut off. Need to double confirm with MB

• Like 1

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

Never really tried it before. Even if that's the case where you can drive the vehicle after it's been started and without the key fob in the car, it's exactly the same as someone without keyless leaving the engine on and leaving the vehicle. If you wanna be safe, I guess always shut the vehicle down when you're not around. As simple as that.

Once, when my w221 key fob battery low, "Key Not Detected" Red error appear while I'm driving. It will beep continuously while car still in motion until I stop at a traffic light. Then it cuts off engine straight away. Distance travelled between Error triggered and engine shutdown about 1 to 2 km cos I was turning out from expressway to a slip road traffic light.

Once, when my w221 key fob battery low, "Key Not Detected" Red error appear while I'm driving. It will beep continuously while car still in motion until I stop at a traffic light. Then it cuts off engine straight away. Distance travelled between Error triggered and engine shutdown about 1 to 2 km cos I was turning out from expressway to a slip road traffic light.

I'm guessing for safety reasons, it won't just shutdown the car immediately when it's in motion.

once i was driving my 2007 c200k to tampines with my mum and after which she drove it back to kallang with the car key still inside my pocket. then when she reach kallang she called me and gave me hell and had to drive back to tampines to collect the car key from me. no prompting or warning at all , but after i change ride to e250 coupe and w212 sedan whenever i leave the car with my keys it will prompt me saying something like car key not detected.

• 2 weeks later...