• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Air Con smells upon engine start up

NigelTan

HI All

I am driving a 9mths old W205, recently realise my air con would have some foul weird smell for about 1-2 mins after I start the engine

my driving habits so far is mostly at 23-24 Degrees with the outside air circulation closed

Any advice please......

HI All

I am driving a 9mths old W205, recently realise my air con would have some foul weird smell for about 1-2 mins after I start the engine

my driving habits so far is mostly at 23-24 Degrees with the outside air circulation closed

Any advice please......

Dun use any car perfume and packed food try put inside sealed bags/containers.

Likely need to change the aircon filter or u try blast hot air for 5/10 mins using high temp.

HI All

Any advice please......

this problem had been frm ever since w204..

after years of trying to figure out..

i suggest to u... additional to wat above brother mention, dun put car perfume in car.

also ur air-con temp put it to 18 degree and below.

it will greatly lessen the smell.

• Like 1

this problem had been frm ever since w204..

after years of trying to figure out..

i suggest to u... additional to wat above brother mention, dun put car perfume in car.

also ur air-con temp put it to 18 degree and below.

it will greatly lessen the smell.

thanks everyone for the advice...I will also try to blast hot air for few mins and see if it helps, air con filter was changed already but problem persist

what i do is spare a couple of shots of dettol air freshener at the passenger foot area (supposed to be used for bedrooms and it has anti-bacteria properties).

not a permanent solution though, but it kept the air fresh the whole trip, and sometimes last a few days.

Hi Guys,

Try this:

Use the Auto Mode for A/C operations, reason is as below.

On FULL AUTO mode (or ANY time the A/C button is illuminated), the car will trigger it's dry out procedure after it's shut down. The AUTO mode (or more specifically, the A/C button) must remain illuminated for the entire drive and NOT be deselected. If you deselect the A/C button at any time, the dry out procedure will not happen, and you will get bad odours. Once you get to where you are going, and your A/C button is still illuminated, you can simply shut off the car, or first park the car, press the OFF button, and then shut off the car. After the car sits for about 1 hour, the blower fan will automatically turn on at a low speed for 30 minutes to dry out the evaporator and prevent mould.

However, this procedure will NOT happen if you deselect the A/C button at any time prior to shutting down the vehicle (other than turning your system OFF after you park if you desire). Also, if you open any doors of your vehicle during this procedure, it will be interrupted and not resume itself, thus causing mould growth. So basically, if you use the FULL AUTO mode (with the A/C button illuminated), and you don't touch the car for at least an hour and a half after you park, then you'll be fine.

If you are performing multiple short drives throughout the day, that's fine, but just make sure you have the AUTO mode and A/C button illuminated for each of those drives, so that once you finally park your car for the day, it will perform the dry cycle. The moral of the story is basically this, keep the system in FULL AUTO mode with the A/C button illuminated until you car has had a chance to sit (uninterrupted with no one opening any doors) for at least 1.5 hours after it's last drive. Then your evaporator will be dry until your next use of the system.

Just to give a quick example of the short drive scenario, here goes. You get in your car in the morning, hit the AUTO button, and drive. If you stop somewhere for 30 min, your evaporator will still be wet. When you start driving again, make absolutely sure you hit the AUTO button again (if you didn't leave the system on when you last shut off the car). You need to continue using the FULL AUTO and A/C modes until your car is finally parked for at least 1.5 hours.

Hi Guys,

Try this:

On FULL AUTO mode (or ANY time the A/C button is illuminated), the car will trigger it's dry out procedure after it's shut down. The AUTO mode (or more specifically, the A/C button) must remain illuminated for the entire drive and NOT be deselected. If you deselect the A/C button at any time, the dry out procedure will not happen, and you will get bad odours. Once you get to where you are going, and your A/C button is still illuminated, you can simply shut off the car, or first park the car, press the OFF button, and then shut off the car. After the car sits for about 1 hour, the blower fan will automatically turn on at a low speed for 30 minutes to dry out the evaporator and prevent mould.

However, this procedure will NOT happen if you deselect the A/C button at any time prior to shutting down the vehicle (other than turning your system OFF after you park if you desire). Also, if you open any doors of your vehicle during this procedure, it will be interrupted and not resume itself, thus causing mould growth. So basically, if you use the FULL AUTO mode (with the A/C button illuminated), and you don't touch the car for at least an hour and a half after you park, then you'll be fine.

If you are performing multiple short drives throughout the day, that's fine, but just make sure you have the AUTO mode and A/C button illuminated for each of those drives, so that once you finally park your car for the day, it will perform the dry cycle. The moral of the story is basically this, keep the system in FULL AUTO mode with the A/C button illuminated until you car has had a chance to sit (uninterrupted with no one opening any doors) for at least 1.5 hours after it's last drive. Then your evaporator will be dry until your next use of the system.

Just to give a quick example of the short drive scenario, here goes. You get in your car in the morning, hit the AUTO button, and drive. If you stop somewhere for 30 min, your evaporator will still be wet. When you start driving again, make absolutely sure you hit the AUTO button again (if you didn't leave the system on when you last shut off the car). You need to continue using the FULL AUTO and A/C modes until your car is finally parked for at least 1.5 hours.

wahhh this one first time hear before. zhun bo? lol.

understand alot pple dun wan use auto, becos the aircon just full blast nia.

i will try the next round i drive.

• 4 weeks later...

Driving a W204, but thought to share. 

I had this issue previously as well, and highlighted it to CnC when I brought it back for servicing. They tried to get me to do a chemical wash for a few hundred bucks, but I refused it. Told them firmly that I don't think the smell is normal. Don't know what they did, but after I collect the car back, the smell was gone. That was 2 months ago, and so far, the smell has not come back yet.

Those going back for servicing can try to ask CnC to check. 

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Try this:

Thank you, will give this a try once or twice a month.

For our weather, if leave in Auto mode means its essentially blasting most of the time, not very comfortable to me.

During my last servicing, I brought up the same issue to the staff but they declined to do anything saying this is normal. They proposed to do some chemical wash and change air con filter costing about $500+. But they also added that the issue will be back and offers no guarantee. My opinion is that if you can't solve this problem, then something must be wrong. They can't explain either.

I told them, I've had several cars before. None had given me such issues. Kind of disappointed as my W204 is only 2+ years and within warranty.

I've written in to CnC and they told me they will get back to me on the issue. I will give an update on their follow up.

If they can't settle this, maybe we should rally together and demand something to be done. Ironical to be paying premium for the car, only to be plagued by unknown problems that CnC can't solved. Seriously, long term wise, I am not sure if the smell will cause health issues especially when people are so concerned about haze problems now.

• 1 month later...

My W204 also had this issue. C&C told me change filter + chemical wash of coil. I ended up at site sponsor to change filter and flush a/c. Total damage is 1/4 of what C&C quoted (need to add gst somemore). Done in late Jul.

99% shelter parking and 10% afternoon drive. Lol.. maybe not enough sun to kill bacteria..?

My W204 also had this issue. C&C told me change filter + chemical wash of coil. I ended up at site sponsor to change filter and flush a/c. Total damage is 1/4 of what C&C quoted (need to add gst somemore). Done in late Jul.

99% shelter parking and 10% afternoon drive. Lol.. maybe not enough sun to kill bacteria..?

During my last servicing, I brought up the same issue to the staff but they declined to do anything saying this is normal. They proposed to do some chemical wash and change air con filter costing about $500+. But they also added that the issue will be back and offers no guarantee. My opinion is that if you can't solve this problem, then something must be wrong. They can't explain either.

I told them, I've had several cars before. None had given me such issues. Kind of disappointed as my W204 is only 2+ years and within warranty.

I've written in to CnC and they told me they will get back to me on the issue. I will give an update on their follow up.

If they can't settle this, maybe we should rally together and demand something to be done. Ironical to be paying premium for the car, only to be plagued by unknown problems that CnC can't solved. Seriously, long term wise, I am not sure if the smell will cause health issues especially when people are so concerned about haze problems now.

oh.. to add. I've changed the air-con filter before. May help a little initially. But smell will eventually come back. 

Its particularly embarassing when the passengers ask how come your air-con so smelly..

Don't know how to answer except to smile

frm day 1 i bought the car, frm the 1st servicing until to -date.  every serviving(15k) cnc wash the air con for me free.  less than 15k back alrdy. of cos the air con filter i change until i think i also knw how to change liao....

now my mile 75k liao. just went for the cnc clinic, same shit wash air con.. zzz

i think, i'll live with it.