• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Poor Radio Reception

NERO_CLA

Just sent my car in today to check on the poor radio signal. I had the "tester" in the car to make sure he acknowledged there's an issue before I left. So there's no way they can return the car to me and tell me there's nothing wrong.

In the end, they isolated the problem to the locally fitted reverse camera that's interfering with the radio signal.

By the way, I'm driving A180. CLA should be the same locally fitted reverse camera?

So what they did today was to leave the reverse cam disconnected, and I have to go back again next week to replace the reverse camera. Not sure if it's a new set or another model.

So far after picking up the car, the radio is clearer without interference, except a little when in MCE tunnel (certain channels).

I asked the service advisor if this is the case and the reverse camera will cause interference, wouldn't it do it to other A/CLA classes as well. Also c&c has been installing this camera for quite some time already how come they r not aware of this interference? He just replied something like yes and no, not every car will be affected..

Can't be I'm the first and only one who brought up this problem to them right.. Unless the latest batch they using a different reverse camera, but wouldn't they test to make sure it's compatible and working fine before delivering the car?

I also asked about the poor IPhone GPS reception in the car too and if it's caused by the huper optik film or some other interference, the service advisor just said that it's not merc built-in GPS or the ones installed by them so they can't do anything about it.

So unless we have a large enough number of owners who feedback about the poor gps reception, they prob won't entertain individual cases.

Thanks for sharing zigg. Yes indeed we need a significant number of complaints then probably CnC may acknowledged the issue. Currently I m using the preset station mode as a temporarily containment action. However as mentioned, reception is still poor especially in tunnel area. I hv never encountered such issue with my previous make. During my 15k servicing, I shall highlight this to the SA for sure.

Besides the radio issue which I also encountered on my ride

My reverse camera was also terrible with flickering display and sometimes blank screen

Any bros have this issue?

If based on bro Ziggs feedback above it seems reverse cam n radio have issues

Just sent my car in today to check on the poor radio signal. I had the "tester" in the car to make sure he acknowledged there's an issue before I left. So there's no way they can return the car to me and tell me there's nothing wrong.

In the end, they isolated the problem to the locally fitted reverse camera that's interfering with the radio signal.

By the way, I'm driving A180. CLA should be the same locally fitted reverse camera?

So what they did today was to leave the reverse cam disconnected, and I have to go back again next week to replace the reverse camera. Not sure if it's a new set or another model.

So far after picking up the car, the radio is clearer without interference, except a little when in MCE tunnel (certain channels).

I asked the service advisor if this is the case and the reverse camera will cause interference, wouldn't it do it to other A/CLA classes as well. Also c&c has been installing this camera for quite some time already how come they r not aware of this interference? He just replied something like yes and no, not every car will be affected..

Can't be I'm the first and only one who brought up this problem to them right.. Unless the latest batch they using a different reverse camera, but wouldn't they test to make sure it's compatible and working fine before delivering the car?

I also asked about the poor IPhone GPS reception in the car too and if it's caused by the huper optik film or some other interference, the service advisor just said that it's not merc built-in GPS or the ones installed by them so they can't do anything about it.

So unless we have a large enough number of owners who feedback about the poor gps reception, they prob won't entertain individual cases.

hey bro, do you honestly think that if they install a new batch of reverse cameras they will drive around and take into consideration the radio reception? I think their primary concern would be that it works and whether or not the car has any noticeable changes to it. If I were the engineer/technician, I think the priority is to check for any audible noises with regards to engine rev, sounds, suspension noises etc etc. I think that is seriously more important, I think the fact that they are trying to help you solve your issue is already a good gesture, hope you can acknowledge them for that.

It is also very hard for the service advisor to pinpoint what is the reason behind your poor iphone GPS reception because you are using an external product that is not related to the car itself, so whatever advise they give you is not appropriate since you are not using Comand Online and its GPS system. They can only advise you properly if your Comand Online is not working properly and not your iPhone itself. Phone reception is so subjective, maybe your phone is faulty, maybe there are new blind spots in the tunnel etc, so many possible and plausible reasons. If the issue is really the huper optik film, will you remove it? That accessory does not come cheap and it's one of if not the best in the market for solar films. All I can see is that the service advisor faces a very tough challenge trying to address this concern of yours when it is not 100% related to the car and it is not the car itself that's giving you issues. 

My message is, please be more understanding towards the service advisors, I believe they are doing their best for everyone but there are also limitations to their abilities as well. Cheers bro. =)

Ya, I understand the part about the external GPS device (iPhone) and hard for them to do something. And for this, I was just asking if they know anything about it or what might be the possible cause. I didn't demand for the service advisor to do fix it or make a big fuss about it.

I didn't just try on one phone and concluded theres issue using iPhone GPS in the car, tried on another iPhone as well.

Also i have another car so I know my phone is working properly in the other car.

There's also other drivers in this forum posting thread about the iPhone GPS issue, so it doesn't seem like an isolated case. If a significant number of pple is being affected shouldn't c&c try to find out and rectify the problem? Not saying it is caused by the huper optik, but we r just guessing.

For the radio problem, i don't think it's a "good gesture" that they r trying to fix it for me. U mean they can don't try to fix it?

I know radio quality is not a priority to test for after installing a reverse camera, but if there's enough feedback of this problem then maybe they should test the radio after installing the reverse camera in the future. So future buyers don't face the same problem.

That being said, I was not rude to the service advisor or anything, I know it's not their fault and they r just there to assist me. Just be firm and make sure they address the issues :)

Yes world class leading brand not only should keep up their quality standard but also their customer service. Else why pay more if we can get similar product at lower cost.

Hope CnC is sincere n willing to look into ongoing quality issues faced by customer.

I suspect the location of the running wire to the camera plays a part. I had my reverse camera fitted on my W221. The radio interference started and I keep getting "Keys Not Detected" error despite changing new batteries to my key fob a few times.

It bothers me for many months and i keep driving back to workshop to check for errors

Both problems gone when I finally pull off the reverse cam wire.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, just an update regarding the poor radio reception issue. After they take back the car the 2nd time, not sure they replaced the reverse cam unit or the wiring, but the radio is working properly now. No more interference.

Apparently the antenna is at the back windscreen and runs to the front to connect to the front audio20 unit, the reverse camera shares the same path to the front, this causing the interference if not done correctly.

Someone pmed asking me about this, his SE told him that conti cars normal to have poorer radio reception for Chinese channels and also the solar film affects it too.. LOL.. I told him about the reverse camera and hopefully they r going to fix it.