• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

ECU tuning during warranty

Griffin

Hi Guys,

Need yr precious feedback regarding ECU piggyback tuning.

Before we due for agent's servicing under warranty, we've to unplug the piggyback to the original state usually by the tuning house.

What I wanted to know:-

To uninstall before servicing and re-install the piggyback to the ECU after servicing, do they use the laptop to activate both procedures. If it's just Plug n Play after that, then will consider going for it.

Just to be sure it'll not void my warranty if there's emergency breakdown and I can unplug it back to the original before they attend to me.

As the saying goes "Mod don't scared, scared don't Mod"!

Hope u guys understand my intention, Play can but play it SAFE!

Cheers!

using piggbyack - racechip ultimate.. it's plug and play.. so everytime before sending in for servicing, just unplug.. after serciving, just plug back.

but for w204 c180 turbo, 1 of the connecting point is below the air filter box.... always gotta sweat alot to remove the connector there :(

I've had a piggyback since Day 1. Serviced at C&C with my piggyback nice and shining in full C&C view since Day 1. Made numerous warranty claims without hassle since Day 1.

There you go. 

• Like 4

Tks for yr feedback Odessus,

Appreciate if u know or have any referral(location or person) to handle my servicing when due. Least my car will not be void of 3 years warranty.

Recently enquire from TOMO, C&C installer for inhouse GPS n reverse camera regarding adding motion detector to my car. They said straight away will void battery warranty cos a wire is tap from battery to the unit.

Maybe u've a way to handle them, just share with all of us in the forum.

Many tks to u again

Cheers bro!

I've added a piggyback, mod my headlights and quad exhaust, and installed in-car cam with parking mode and wiring running directly to fuse. Everything C&C are aware and never questioned. Honestly I don't think C&C will fight you over a warranty claim because you've mod your car.

• Like 1

I'm in the same shoes with Odessus. Modded exhaust, tuned ECU, piggyback, BBK amongst numerous other mods. Obviously when something goes wrong with anything related to the mod, you can't claim. Other than that, I've no issues regarding warranty with C&C. Then again this is just my personal experience.

Ultimately as the saying goes, want mod don't scared, scared don't mod.

Tks guys for feedback,

Conclusion is what parts u mod is what is likely to be void. For example if piggyback is done, any faults with the ECU, warranty will be void n pay at yr own cost once they noted it during servicing under warranty.

Have heard some screwup cases on new cars by inexperienced Tuners when they Flash the ECU n kaput!

So if mod, mod at our own RISK.

Cheers

Sorry I don't have any special way of handling them. I'm just too lazy to remove and can't care less about my warranty. Lol

Odessus, mind to share what piggyback you use? is it the RaceChip?

Thanks.

Piggybacks generally intercepts signals received from engine sensors, modify them before passing them onto the ECU. It generally makes more power through increasing the turbo boost. So the parameters of adjustments are limited as compared to changing the fuel & ignition maps at various engine load (rpm range) to optimize (or lean out) the program on the ECU. So it is not surprise your ride will save more fuel yet gain more power after the ECU tune. Reason being ECU program done at factory need to cater to cars going into different locations (air temp and fuel type availability differs) and not to mention that each specific engine will produce different power and torque (smaller differentiation). Tuning fuel & ignition map on specific car (age and condition of engine matters) on dyno and road will be the best fit available against one size fits all analogy. 

• Like 1

Odessus, mind to share what piggyback you use? is it the RaceChip?

Thanks.

IIRC he should be on monster Tune.