• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Car Battery

• 2 weeks later...

After 3.5 glorious years my car battery has finally decided to die. Cost me $255 to change. Door step service by AAS. $3 fish ball noodle lunch for me for the rest of the month ftw. Budget ttm.

I'm very 'pan-tang' (superstitious). Did not want to post this before...cause my battery 4 years already! Since brand new till now! Still, ok, but dun want to try my luck. Going to change today back to the original in my E250 Coupe, Hoppecke.

Was diving the W204 for almost 34 month and yesterday I encounter that I could not start my car. Lucky I manage to restart after a while and immediately drove to the battery workshop.

After checking the by the workshop, it was confirmed that the battery is not charging.

The original battery is 62Ah, 480A.

Change to a new bigger battery 80Ah, 730A, a Italy brand. cost less than $200.

My impression is that 62 Ah is a bit small for the mercedes?

I am using a Solite 100Ah in my W203. I think I paid about $150 or thereabouts a year ago. Bought all my batteries from a shop at Race Course Road.

After 3.5 glorious years my car battery has finally decided to die. Cost me $255 to change. Door step service by AAS. $3 fish ball noodle lunch for me for the rest of the month ftw. Budget ttm.

Where can you get $3 fish ball noodles? My favourite food. Please recommend the better places. :)

Any bros tried Amaron before? Mine is 2012 FL W204. The original battery varta drained recently and changed to Amaron in JB, cost ard RM550.

Tyres and batteries do not cost cheaper in Malaysia.

don't know the difference.. on it for less than a year.

wow your battery last so long?

mine kapuk in near 2 years.. maybe because I have front and rear cameras

Do you have "Power Mat" installed to regulate the use of the camera while the car is parked?

Where can you get $3 fish ball noodles? My favourite food. Please recommend the better places. :)

My office is at Kaki Bukit so if you're around the corner swing by and give me a ring. I'll introduce you to cheap and good fish ball noodles.  :thumbsu:  :thumbsu:  :thumbsu:

Do you have "Power Mat" installed to regulate the use of the camera while the car is parked?

This device, though useful, is highly unreliable. Busted by battery a couple of times already.

Anyone has the original specs for a stock w204 battery ?

Was told changing to a higher rates ampere battery than recommended is no good for the car's electronics like ecu

This is hear say .. Cannot verify if this is true

This device, though useful, is highly unreliable. Busted by battery a couple of times already.

Sorry, it is Blackvue Power Magic. I have 3 sets installed and all worked fine BUT 1 set went haywire, the battery went flat, reset it and so far working OK.

I have set at 11.8V to be on the safe side.

Fish ball - OK  :)

Was told changing to a higher rates ampere battery than recommended is no good for the car's electronics like ecu

I have been using this 100 AH battery since May 2014 (exactly 1 year).  Touch-wood, so far no problem.

I think the best is to follow the original vehicle specification because the battery has to be matched to the alternator.

My trips are typically short.  Mostly 20-30 minutes of driving 12km to work, parked for 10 hours before driving home.  Usually not driven on weekends. So the battery does not get charged as much, I think.

Sorry, it is Blackvue Power Magic. I have 3 sets installed and all worked fine BUT 1 set went haywire, the battery went flat, reset it and so far working OK.

I have set at 11.8V to be on the safe side.

Fish ball - OK  :)

Same device. Mine's also set to 11.8V but goes haywire once every few months.

How they explained to you? why no good? how they define?

i am very curious :)  

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
I███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

How they explained to you? why no good? how they define?

i am very curious :)  

I was told a higher ampere rated battery can cause the ecu to fry due to higher available current and also cause problem to rest of electronics in the car.

I was told a higher ampere rated battery can cause the ecu to fry due to higher available current and also cause problem to rest of electronics in the car.

1) 12V Battery supplying ampere(A) to electronic components through front & rear service access module (SAM)

which provide over current protection. eg. higher ampere supplying to a 2A fuse, eventually will cause a 2A fuse break.   

2) let assuming a 12V 80Ah battery supplying 80A in 1second to you electronic components, the result will be broken fuse.

but too bad our example here against ohm law so it will not established in real world.  

3) So my view is a 12V 60Ah battery, 12V 80Ah battery or 12V 100Ah battery will not harm your vehicle electronic components. untill he further explain. Hope this help.

battery -> fuse box -> unit

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
I███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Thx for the info

But as one of the forumer says .. Just follow the specs of factory.

The factory knows best what ampere is suffice for the car usage and it matches too the charging rate of the alternator. Unless of course the owner turns the car into a hi fi sound room or electronic gadget hub.

:)

Thx for the info

But as one of the forumer says .. Just follow the specs of factory.

The factory knows best what ampere is suffice for the car usage and it matches too the charging rate of the alternator. Unless of course the owner turns the car into a hi fi sound room or electronic gadget hub.

:)

Exactly factory spec always the best. But i am still couldn't figure out why higher amp will harm electronic component?

w204 come with battery sensor and this sensor will monitoring Voltage, Current & Temperature and base on the information they will evaluate the battery status. 

Below is how the system run.

(Battery sensor -> rear service access module and the weak battery sign will show on your speedometer.)

So i will say factory spec the best, higher amp battery (12V 80ah, 12v 100Ah) is still within toleration. 

Now, how about smaller size battery  :D

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
I███████████████████].
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

my C200 did I not have this battery sensor

the battery died on me one night just like that.....without any warning

Exactly factory spec always the best. But i am still couldn't figure out why higher amp will harm electronic component?

w204 come with battery sensor and this sensor will monitoring Voltage, Current & Temperature and base on the information they will evaluate the battery status. 

Below is how the system run.

(Battery sensor -> rear service access module and the weak battery sign will show on your speedometer.)

So i will say factory spec the best, higher amp battery (12V 80ah, 12v 100Ah) is still within toleration. 

Now, how about smaller size battery  :D