• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Upgrading to ventilated disc brakes

Slowpoke

Hi all,

My W246 comes with normal disc brakes for front and rear. thinking of changing to ventilated discs and using the same brake calipers. Possible? Anyone has done so? whats the price like?  

Many thanks.

I may be slow, but I'll see you in a bit - at the next traffic light.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your comments bro. Looking for bros who have done so and sharing their exp. will drop site sponsors a note. Personally, this should be possible as the sports version is equipped with ventilated brakes.

Bro Slow

I am surely going down this route in time to come.

Had always done this for my previous rides.

Asthetically much better but not fair to compare with stocks as it shld be better tarox rotors coupled with ceramic pads that gave the better bite.

Also like the sports callipers on the sports version but have not seen any available online yet.

Keep us posted

If the rotor size + brake caliper  +brake pads + brake hose remains the same, you will not get any improvement in stopping power

Ventilated disc will only help to dissipate heat faster. Unless you go tracking, day to day drive there will not be any difference

The fastest and easiest way to reduce stopping distance is to change to a better brake pad + better tyres 

If the rotor size + brake caliper  +brake pads + brake hose remains the same, you will not get any improvement in stopping power

Ventilated disc will only help to dissipate heat faster. Unless you go tracking, day to day drive there will not be any difference

The fastest and easiest way to reduce stopping distance is to change to a better brake pad + better tyres

Thanks bro. Maybe the sports version brake is a better bet. Not sure about the rotor size though.

Am driving W204 (2012)... and I have been checking if i can improve the braking system for my car without breaking the bank witht likes of Brembo or AMG.

Current brake pads are ATE ceramic.... all else is original hardwares...any suggestions or advice pls bros?

Am driving W204 (2012)... and I have been checking if i can improve the braking system for my car without breaking the bank witht likes of Brembo or AMG.

Current brake pads are ATE ceramic.... all else is original hardwares...any suggestions or advice pls bros?

There are many aftermarket BBK brands available... in fact many of us here are on them... Me included.... works wonders.... and won't  cost you an arm or a leg..... maybe a hand.... lol....

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

Ultimately if you want performance, you've got to be prepared to spend. Topics like this have been discussed before. Nothing good comes cheap, furthermore brakes are one of the most essential components when it comes to safety. Why risk by modifying it? Isn't that contradicting when the goal is to improve safety? As yc3333 mentioned, the performance gained is also minimal even if successful. BBKs are still the way to go if braking performance and safety is of your utmost concern.

Ultimately if you want performance, you've got to be prepared to spend. Topics like this have been discussed before. Nothing good comes cheap, furthermore brakes are one of the most essential components when it comes to safety. Why risk by modifying it? Isn't that contradicting when the goal is to improve safety? As yc3333 mentioned, the performance gained is also minimal even if successful. BBKs are still the way to go if braking performance and safety is of your utmost concern.

I think most of us, like me, are just in for the looks.

James... is that you???

Big in Bangkok

It's Big Brake Kit....

Sorry guys whats BBK?

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

Hahahaha..... ok thanks guys.... i am not deadset on performance as i dont really drive that fast.... but am just interested in improving the existing brakes without breaking the piggybank... wont modify existing ones but rather seeking inputs on how to improve existing brakes if I dont want to opt for high performance type.

• 1 month later...

So sad, goldenlink dont have ATE pads for w246. Anyone has idea what aftermarket ones to change that gives less brake dust?

I read somewhere for the rear cant install BBK coz of the electronic brake on W246. So would like to check if there are stock replacement brake pads with less brake dust.

Advice pls. Thanks.