• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

2006/07 w221 S350L

Buckrogers

I am contemplating on getting a 8-9 year old s350l (2006-07) but afraid of the pitfalls and high maintenance.

Any kind advice?

I mean, i am more confident of getting a lexus of the same age but after a bad experience with my previous very new (2 yo) bimmer, it does make me think twice..

Appreciate.

It really depends on the condition on the car. Usually for S class the highest cost is the airmatic suspension , which can cost 4k++ at CnC and 1.8k+ at outside workshop. the other problem is the airmatic pump which cost 1k+ at outside workshop.

Plus please check for the suction door as well. each door lock will cost close to 1k as well.

These are the major issues u have to be careful of.

before buying a car try sending it to AA for pre sales inspection as AA inspection is the highest standard here in singapore. According to many workshops, dealers usually will not want u to send to AA and insist on STA/ Vicom.

• Like 1

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

Hey,

I brought one and cared for it meticulously. Way better than the original owner. Here are what I spent (up to Feb).

Brace yourself.

mYp2ftc.png

Thanks mate.

Very informative indeed!

How old was your ride and how long did you own it? The servicing costs do look scary....

It really depends on the condition on the car. Usually for S class the highest cost is the airmatic suspension , which can cost 4k++ at CnC and 1.8k+ at outside workshop. the other problem is the airmatic pump which cost 1k+ at outside workshop.

Plus please check for the suction door as well. each door lock will cost close to 1k as well.

These are the major issues u have to be careful of.

before buying a car try sending it to AA for pre sales inspection as AA inspection is the highest standard here in singapore. According to many workshops, dealers usually will not want u to send to AA and insist on STA/ Vicom.

Except for the AA part, a few dealers also highlighted, suction door working....just curious, if the suction door is not working, is it still functional? I.e. just slammed it like a regular car?

@Buckrogers - I did a STA inspection and an another inspection by my trusted workshop (Chip Soon). They couldn't find any fault with the car.

Yet, I had to replace the leaking radiator, engine mounts, transmission mount, Air Intake, Right Speaker, Spark Plugs, air pumps for massage etc shortly after I bought the car. Mind you, it wasn't some "in my mind" fault, the car exhibiting actual failure of parts symptoms.

It is an '06. 90k mileage, S350L, had it since start of 2014.

Inspection can only go so far so just set aside 10-15% of your buy price for repairs.

P.S.: I love the car after I fixed all the issue. Peaceful and smooth, the way the S-Class should be.

@bbwannabe

Frankly i don't believe in STA thingy - waste of money.

I am surprised that at 90k,you have to change so many stuff - so i am now confused about when is the major servicing - to gauge which mileage car is ok to buy.

I saw a Nov 06 s350l - 2 weeks ago - and i was very tempted. The agent was one of the nicer ones and said becos of the lemon law, they have warranty for 6 months on engine+gearbox, and there is not much to "fear" as there is only 1 year left...

Not sure if my luck is that good....

It is pretty common to change engine mounts, transmission mount, etc at 100-120k. The W221 has a delicate transmission so it is important to take care of it more often than usual.

I bought from a direct owner so I had to bear all these costs. If the dealer is taking care of it, then you are safe I suppose.

Good luck, buyer's market for the older S-Class now. The market is flooded with them. Be sure to ask for at least 6-10k off asking price.

@Buckrogers - I did a STA inspection and an another inspection by my trusted workshop (Chip Soon). They couldn't find any fault with the car.

Yet, I had to replace the leaking radiator, engine mounts, transmission mount, Air Intake, Right Speaker, Spark Plugs, air pumps for massage etc shortly after I bought the car. Mind you, it wasn't some "in my mind" fault, the car exhibiting actual failure of parts symptoms.

It is an '06. 90k mileage, S350L, had it since start of 2014.

Inspection can only go so far so just set aside 10-15% of your buy price for repairs.

P.S.: I love the car after I fixed all the issue. Peaceful and smooth, the way the S-Class should be.

I fully agree with bbwannabe. Wear and tear issues will appear, so you need to set aside about $20K if you intend to buy an old S-Class. It drives wonderful and is very solid build, but somehow issues will come every few months.

My dad bought a '06 S350L about 2 years ago. In the 2 years, other than the servicing he had:

1. Changed fuel pump and fuel filter (car couldn't start).

2. Changed circuit board (car stalled on the road).

3. Changed front lower arms (car creaked when going over humps).

4. Changed brake pads and discs.

5. Changed tyres.

6. Changed 1 door handle (touch to lock didn't work).

All in all, spent about $20K in the above, plus many trips to workshops and CnC. I totally enjoy sitting and driving his car, but sometimes I think he should have bought a newer E-Class.

I just hope that when my E200 gets older, it won't have so much nagging issue.

I brought my used car and the inspection is thorough by Vicom at bukit batok. Same feeling about their inspection standard initially. However they manage to detect most of the faults and i manage to get the dealer to pay for the repair. I m surprise that you send your car for inspection checks and yet they unable to found the radiator is leaking? Lucky for me the dealer honour the 6 month period which i made a claim on the fifth month for gear box ATF oil change.

Bob wannabe - in that case, i should stick to looking at s350l rather than a s300l, the higher OMV/scrap value will 'compensate' for the equipment failure risks.

I still don't understand why/how the depreciation for s300l is same or even higher than s350l.

I usually look for a low mileage car when buying a used one. My last W211 E200 mid 2006 model which I bought in mid 2011 has clocked in only at 35K km after 5 years. I thought the dealer did something to the mileage but when I brought the car back to C&C, the SA double confirm that the 35K mileage was genuine and the car has been serviced regularly at C&C. Though I paid about $3K above market value, it was worth it. I had it for 3.5 years and 0 breakdown except that I changed ATF, engine and transmission mounts, brake pads, tyres, alternator plus regular servicing which I spent total of $3K for whole 3.5 years ownership. Getting a low mileage Mercs is not difficult, just have the patience to hunt around.

Sign on that dotted line , quick!

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

• 1 month later...

Hey,

I brought one and cared for it meticulously. Way better than the original owner. Here are what I spent (up to Feb).

Brace yourself.

mYp2ftc.png

Hey Bro,

Where did you buy the rear and front lamp? 

Are they face lifted? Im looking to upgrade my headlamps to the FL version,

Jeff