• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

MY14 CLA Journal.

wzz

JOURNAL - CLA

I’m starting a journal on my MY14 CLA journey.

Mostly because I am really in love with this beauty, and partly because I am inspired by blackmercs’ threads.

I will be updating and condensing post #1, so it will be easier to read my thread/journal.

--
Bookmarks

18/02: Interior Styling - Organizer box in the armrest stowage compartment

27/02: Exterior - Skinz “Glassjacket” Application (updated 28/02, 07/03, 13/03)
                                      (I) All-Weather Floormats
                                      (II) Shallow Boot Tub

--

Pending:

1. DVR; Changing current stock DVR to one that records when it's parked.

2. MB Wheel Lock Nut; To change when doing wheel alignment [@7,500km / 6months]

- Interior Styling - CD slot phone holder (pending review) [not doing]

a. Waiting for the Arm rest organizer box shipment to arrive.
b. Waiting for the CD phone holder shipment to arrive.
c. Hydrophobic coating [on the 27/02] - considered after reading Zeenie's review.
d. Waiting for the MB CLA-Class Kofferraumwanne shipment to arrive.

e. Waiting for the MB CLA-Class Allmettermatten shipment to arrive.

10/02: Picked up my CLA180 Polar Silver AMG Line

1907459_10153049888250729_67529625301744

Caption: Parked infront of the C&C MB Lobby.

I love the contrast of the polar silver against the dark AMG line kit. & in the photo, the diamond grille is screaming out for attention.

Currently in the break-in Period.

The break-in procedure listed in the manual:
The more you look after the engine when it is new, the more satisfied you will be with its performance in the future.
-You should therefore drive at varying vehicle and engine speeds for the first 1000 miles (1500 km).
-Avoid heavy loads, e.g. driving at full throttle, during this period.
-Change gear in good time, before the tachometer needle is 2/3 of the way to the red area of the tachometer.
-Do not manually shift to a lower gear to brake the vehicle.
-If possible, do not depress the accelerator pedal past the point of resistance (kickdown).
-Ideally, for the first 1000 miles (1500 km), drive in program E

After 1,000 miles (1,500 km), you can increase the engine speed gradually and bring the vehicle to full speed.
  • Like 2

JOURNAL - CLA

I’m starting a journal on my MY14 CLA journey.

Mostly because I am really in love with this beauty, and partly because I am inspired by blackmercs’ threads.

Yes thanks for sharing :)

11/02: Interior Styling [DIY] - Door pins replacement

20508_10153049858715729_9079645548070271

Caption: Plastic door pins

10958048_10153049858885729_7569700972190

Caption: Stainless steel AMG Door pin

62682_10153049858985729_3421060799635823

Caption: Close-up look of the stainless steel AMG door pin

I came across this when I was looking at the CLA accessories brochure booklet.
I was quite dismayed that the CLA came with the “stock” plastic pins. I bought these door pins and received them like 2 weeks before I even received my CLA.

--
The replaced stainless steel door pins looked like silver colored ferrets that pop its head out when you unlock the car. The pins are a small detail but to me it's like a huge upgrade. It looks more elegant now.

I had to research before I did the actual DIY work.

Items required: 
1. Plier
2. microfiber cloth (to protect the "stock" black plastic door pins)
3. Time (about 15minutes)
4. Some counter-clockwise twisting torque.

Step:
1. Wrap the plastic door pin with a microfiber cloth.
2. Screw off (1-cycle/turn) the plastic door pin counter-clockwise with the plier.
3. Try to use your fingers to unscrew. If not able to, go back to step 2.

4. After removal of the plastic door pin, simply screw on the new door pin clockwise with your fingers.
5. [optional] Finish off/Align new door pins with the plier (and cloth) 

6. Continue with the other 3 doors.

--
Disclaimer: 
Instructions are meant only for the CLA Klasse.
  • Like 3

Where did you get the steel door pins from? I have the AMG kit as well... but abit dismayed that it comes with the fabric seat rather than the stock leather...

Hi sunroof180,

I had a friend buy and send them to me.

The part no. is A0007660228; Take note that the part no. is for one piece only.
I think there are also other alternatives such as ebay.

Regarding the seat, I was initially slightly dismayed about that too but not so overly concerned to the point that I'm annoyed with it.

In fact, it does feel quite comfortable and I do notice that it doesn't retain as much heat between my body and seat compared with leather ones.
  • Like 1

18/02: Interior Styling - Organizer box in the armrest stowage compartment

Happy Lunar New Year Everyone!

Today, my younger brother brought the organizer box in the evening during the reunion dinner. I purchased this organizer box from Taobao which was handled by my younger brother. This was one of the few items that I bought in anticipation during the wait for my CLA.

11006379_10153061915175729_1524215970373

Caption: Armrest Storage Organizer Box

The tray/box is quite shallow and when you place it in the armrest stowage compartment, it will still leave sufficient space underneath.

There is a hole at the front of the box (when looking at the photo) which allows wires/connectors to pass through from below.

The rubber mats make the entire look, well finished. It were like as if a lot of considerations were made into making this organizer box.

Overall, the addition of the organizer box took up a sizable portion of the available volume height-wise. However, in my opinion, the center armrest stowage compartment is quite deep, I didn't have anything tall to store so it didn't really matter to me.

This height-wise loss for an extra level of usable storage space seems more of a gain instead.

The individual sections also somewhat declutters the mess that seems to be inevitable in the center arm rest compartment. Now, no more "opening and junking-in" stuff there.

10981215_10153062007105729_6825968187321

Caption: Armrest stowage compartment without the Organizer box

10516585_10153062007110729_3015537577741

Caption: Armrest stowage compartment with the Organizer box

10987575_10153062007090729_3911625080132

Caption: Close-up look of the Organizer box

• Like 2

My younger brother loves to shop at Taobao.

I'm not sure how it works exactly. AFAIK, over the span of a month or so, he would send whatever he bought at a specific location in China. After he has collated enough, he would then ship everything back to Singapore.

If you aren't in a hurry and can wait for the next batch of shipment, I could ask him if you all are interested.

All I need to supply him is the link and a photo of the item at Taobao.

27/02: Exterior - Skinz “Glassjacket” Application.

Today, my CLA had a new make-over. Well, figuratively.
According to Detail Mania, my CLA had just gone through a "New Car Detail & Skinz Glassjacket" application. 

I did this based on a review that Zeenie posted. Post can be found here.
[i wonder. Perhaps if I had not asked him for any updates, I might not have done this. So that review better be worth something. lol]

When I picked up my car, after seeing what had been done - I thought to myself, doesn't this look like the same before the make-over? How does this differ from the one that MB had already provided (nano-sealant) ?

Since I do not have the answer, I guess only time would tell. Therefore, I think I might be updating this part of my journal quarterly/regularly, so stay tuned.
Unfortunately, I didn't take any before or after photos - I should have, then at least I could see what it's all about.

--
28/02:
I've noticed how reflective the car's surface is now compared to before the application.
I've also noticed the texture of the car's exterior surface - it feels smooth, almost like touching silk!
Case-in-point: I tried to remove a splotch of dirt earlier, surprisingly, I didn't have to use any force, it just glided off!. I hope this isn't a one trick pony that would last only one week or month.

--
06/03:
There's lots of "works" happening at my area. Tons of dust everywhere. Even with this coating, my car was no exception. My CLA was layered in thick dust. That layer of dust seems to be growing each day. I'm really disappointed.
07/03:
This is the first time I washed my car since the coating application. I just used water.
I'm impressed how easy it was. My car looks so clean and shiny.

--
13/03:
It has been raining here and there this week. I'm surprised that no watermarks were left on my CLA. 
However, if I were to take a closer look, the lower portion of the car is still layered with dirt from the wet drive, but I believe that's inevitable.
I do wish they had a coating that took care of that. lol.

The car still feels silky smooth. Dirt splotches still glides off with a flick of my finger.
I'm still quite impressed.
  • Like 2

Lol, suddenly I feel stressed! I do stand by my post although am also testing how how long the coating lasts. Supposed to be at least a year, but can be more with proper maintenance. :)

According to Detail Mania, my CLA had just gone through a "New Car Detail & Skinz Glassjacket" application. 

[i wonder. Perhaps if I had not asked him for any updates, I might not have done this. So that review better be worth something. lol]

When I picked up my car, after seeing what had been done - I thought to myself, doesn't this look like the same before the make-over? How does this differ from the one that MB had already provided (nano-sealant) ?

Since I do not have the answer, I guess only time would tell. Therefore, I think I might be updating this part of my journal quarterly/regularly, so stay tuned.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any before or after photos - I should have, then at least I could see what it's all about.

--

28/02:

I've noticed how reflective the car's surface is now compared to before the application.

I've also noticed the texture of the car's exterior surface - it feels smooth, almost like touching silk!

Case-in-point: I tried to remove a splotch of dirt earlier, surprisingly, I didn't have to use any force, it just glided off!. I hope this isn't a one trick pony that would last only one week or month.

• Like 1

stock polar silver CLA180 =)

--

28/02:

Hi wzz,

Can you share the vendor that perform your Glassjacket coating?

Thanks!

Any thoughts on the CLA?

I've been driving a CLA180 for a month now, bought it at a high of 182k (+AMG +sunroof). car looks really nice from the outside, but small things are starting to put me off. Don't get me wrong, its still a much better ride than any Jap or Kor make, but if you have driven a E class before, somehow, the CLA doesn't really feel like a true Merc. Perhaps its due to the Renault engine, I dunno.

With the new Jag XE due for launch this year, I wonder if the CLA will still sell, especially since it looks like the XE will be priced lower than the C class, likely in CLA terrority. + the XE is made in the UK

Hi sunroof,

just some of my thoughts .... Don't get angry... :D

CLA was never made to be like E Class

CLA is like marrying a fashion model... very pretty outside.... inside hmmmm maybe not the best

However there are some things you can do to help improve your CLA experience.

Change out your runflats to normal tyres - Better Ride Quality

Install Throttle Response Device for better drive feel

Install Piggyback for more power and Torque

remap gearbox for faster gear changes

However best not to compare too much since you buy already...

enjoy the plus points...