• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

A-class 180, options?

Joeyjoe

Hi bro, yes it was from AD. Well, like I mentioned in my previous post, my GB of my previous car went kaput so I needed a car quick. They mentioned that they had 1 white A180 style and 1 black A180 Urban almost reaching Sg and said that if I needed a car quick, these were my only 2 choices. So I wanted it in red, but since I didn't have a choice, I just went for the black A180 Urban instead.

GB issue? VW?

Collecting my A180 tomorrow. Anything I should take note at C&C?

Any sense in switching out the RFT to normal tyres on day 1? Or should i just bear with them and wait until they're worn out before switching?

let them wear out then change. cos if u trade in to tire shops they take in at low price.

Collecting my A180 tomorrow. Anything I should take note at C&C?

Any sense in switching out the RFT to normal tyres on day 1? Or should i just bear with them and wait until they're worn out before switching?

Congrats !

There is a "new car check list" on MyCarForum which is a useful reference.

Are you considering paint protection system ? Am thinking about applying Pika Pika Rain ... seems effective.

Congrats !

There is a "new car check list" on MyCarForum which is a useful reference.

Are you considering paint protection system ? Am thinking about applying Pika Pika Rain ... seems effective.

Thanks! I used that list in the end.... but did not go through thoroughly. There's warranty to settle things if stuff gets discovered anyway.

C&C applied nano sealant - hoping it'll last. I'm a lazy oaf so probably not gonna worry about detailing.

First impressions:

Steering: spot on

Suspension: Stiff. You feel the undulations of the road. But hands large bumps decently well

Gearbox: The DCT is going to be quite unfamiliar to those who have stayed away from manual transmissions for a long time. Don't think of it as an auto tranny. Think of it as a manual that shifts for you. So - no more inelegant stabbing of the accelerator pedal - you're going to smash your head into the windscreen if you do that. Also gotta learn how to use engine braking to your advantage when slowing down. All in all, having driven Mercs in manual, slushbox, CVT and DCT, I still like DCT the most. Also the steering mounted gearshift is easy to get used to. But still feels hella weird. 

Throttle response: Weird. You have to depress the accelerator A LOT to get it moving from the stop line. But when you go past 3/4, the car lurches forwards unceremoniously like a slumbering beast being jolted awake. Not fun. The engine doesn't lack power - the accelerator pedal simply lacks linearity. 

Driving position: Alright. Still figuring out the sweet spot.

Visibility - Small rear window and large B and C pillars get annoying. But I suppose it's to be expected for a car with this styling.

Thanks! I used that list in the end.... but did not go through thoroughly. There's warranty to settle things if stuff gets discovered anyway.

C&C applied nano sealant - hoping it'll last. I'm a lazy oaf so probably not gonna worry about detailing.

First impressions:

Steering: spot on

Suspension: Stiff. You feel the undulations of the road. But hands large bumps decently well

Gearbox: The DCT is going to be quite unfamiliar to those who have stayed away from manual transmissions for a long time. Don't think of it as an auto tranny. Think of it as a manual that shifts for you. So - no more inelegant stabbing of the accelerator pedal - you're going to smash your head into the windscreen if you do that. Also gotta learn how to use engine braking to your advantage when slowing down. All in all, having driven Mercs in manual, slushbox, CVT and DCT, I still like DCT the most. Also the steering mounted gearshift is easy to get used to. But still feels hella weird. 

Throttle response: Weird. You have to depress the accelerator A LOT to get it moving from the stop line. But when you go past 3/4, the car lurches forwards unceremoniously like a slumbering beast being jolted awake. Not fun. The engine doesn't lack power - the accelerator pedal simply lacks linearity. 

Driving position: Alright. Still figuring out the sweet spot.

Visibility - Small rear window and large B and C pillars get annoying. But I suppose it's to be expected for a car with this styling.

Thanks for the review. So yours is the urban version with the sports suspension?

Oh ok... Can't imagine the feel of the sport suspension.....

Bro, I'm driving the Urban version. After awhile, I get used to it. Though I must add that most people that sat in my car have commented on how hard the suspension is.

Anyone has issues with their radio reception? My radio reception seems to be extremely poor. I get static when I go into the MCE. I have tried 4 radio stations: Class 95, 93.3, Lush 99.5, UFM 100.3 and all gave me the same result.

Is this a common issue? Is there anything that I can do to get better reception?

Anyone has issues with their radio reception? My radio reception seems to be extremely poor. I get static when I go into the MCE. I have tried 4 radio stations: Class 95, 93.3, Lush 99.5, UFM 100.3 and all gave me the same result.

Is this a common issue? Is there anything that I can do to get better reception?

Personally, I dont experience any static noise, perhaps I am always on either Kiss 92 or on the music files in my usb drive.

Well I have not had experience with fm radio but I find that gps on my iPhone works poorly in the car. Is it the huper optik film?

Agreed, my gps on my phone also works poorly. Now sure if its the result of the film that they have applied.

hehe ... just figured out how 'multi-quote' works.

Just secured COE today after 3 unsuccessful bids.

Mine is Polar Silver style. Booked in late Feb ! Expected delivery moved from May (maybe), early Jun ... now Jul / Aug

It was explained to me that not that many A180 being brought in as compared to other models - that's why the long wait.

Congrats ! That's amazingly quick. Guess you were there right place right time. Assume this is from AD ?

Now, I am gonna push for earlier delivery of my car as well !

Wah, how did u get a a180 urban black with black in 3 weeks :o

I went in March, no stock for black A180 style or urban. So booked the black A180 style which will only arrive in Jul/Aug.. A180 urban black wasn't even showing in the system at that point of time.

The SE keeps saying there's no Ex stock, but how can someone walked in and get a car in 3 weeks.

I did mention if any black unit "pop" up earlier do let me know, even if I have to top up the $9k difference to upgrade from style to urban I don't mind bcoz if I get in Jul/Aug I have to pay $5k more anyway.

Prob once you signed, paid and agreed to the time then they won't bother even if some units became available :(

Maybe they trying to sell those to people who are willing to pay for the higher COE.

Anyway how are you planning to "chase" for an earlier delivery date? The SE can't control when the cars arrive in SG? Unless there are spare units?

I think I read on the CLA thread that we can request for a "serial no." that we can use to log and track when our vehicle is entering SG? Is that true and what number is it called? So that I can at least know when is my car arriving sg?

It was Azhiwen who got the car in 3 weeks.

I am resigned to Jul delivery for mine & paying more for the reduced CEVs rebate.

I am peppering SE with regular queries about delivery dates but that is unlikely to yield any results I know. As you said, once signed, it is beyond our control. Maybe can work if everyday go down showroom to lim kopi & kachau the SE.

The COE may well just drop 5K once new Cevs tariffs hit. Like investors say, old news will already be accounted for in the price....

The longer you wait, the later your new Coe will expire! Take it as you're making full use of the current car's coe first

I think C&C would have gotten your COE the moment you paid the deposit for the car so whether or not COE drops, doesn't matter since it has already been bidded for. Perhaps what you can do is push for June registration and July delivery?

I think C&C would have gotten your COE the moment you paid the deposit for the car so whether or not COE drops, doesn't matter since it has already been bidded for. Perhaps what you can do is push for June registration and July delivery?

Believe they only bid for the Coe when your car arrives Sg port. If price drops they will refund your the difference between actual Coe price and the rebate. If higher, then C&C will absorb.

Believe they only bid for the Coe when your car arrives Sg port. If price drops they will refund your the difference between actual Coe price and the rebate. If higher, then C&C will absorb.

Will think that they will bid the COE 2-3 cycles before the est. date of arrival. Not high chances of getting a rebate as their coe rebate level is normally quite low. In any case, they will have already factor in the range of the coe prices in the selling price so it will be within their margin threshold level.

hmmm but then if the car already in sg port it should take only 2 to 3 weeks to get the car. How come we still have to wait like 3 or 4 months for the car?