• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

THE KILLER RAIN – NS Highway

After reading the recent case of Porsche 911 and looking at the picture of the wrecked car and stuffs. And some of the comment given by the members in the local and foreign forum is WTF. The comment like, “he deserves to die coz he race!!”

With this, I think I should share my worst car accident story. Hopefully by sharing to give some pointers and no intention to promote that speeding is alright etc. The comment here is solely my personal opinion.

Here we go!!

Yes we at times we do drive hard, simply is that we can’t do it in sillypore so is like letting the hair loose whenever we are in NS. As much as possible, we are not racing anyone just picking up high speed and just for the feel. We would do it only whenever there aren’t any others car on the road and safety is our priority too. But the perception to most people whenever there are accident occurred, people loves to portrait us that we are dangerous driver and deem as a “racer”. Are we a racer? If we are, then who are we racing with? This kind of conclusive comments is so common. Just like my boss and colleagues too, when I told them of my bad accident. First thing come out from the mouth is “you speeding rite!! Must be!! else you wouldn’t had the accident”!!

Do compare the attachment pictures, do you guys see the same damage pattern.

Porsche

E64B026D-9F46-4FF1-B9BB-58BC222807AA-309

D2461BDD-1DC2-4372-B405-F3E8B3FF3CF0-309

My ride

4569CC81-093D-4B84-98FB-C58A2A465FEF-309

31826AE7-4CB4-4438-9B6A-8934366BCBF2-309

I also gather information from the internet that on the fatal day of the porsche it is raining heavily, so is my accident. The downpour is so heavy till visibility is so bad you can’t view the front at all. Do you guys think we can still can race or drive at a high speed?? I think we got into the same situation but he is not lucky as I am. I got a chance to live to tell. Many would asked, “How could this happen? Speeding? Racing? Reckless driving?”

I wouldn’t know the answer either after the accident and been wondering what happened too. Spoke to many so-called “expert” like street racer, mechanics etc none of them able to give me the right answer. Some even asked me did I turn my steering wheel? I am driving on a straight road leh.

In my opinion, is the THE KILLER RAIN and tyres is the root cause of the accident due to aquaplaning. It is not the driver or the car or the mods etc. We loves to drive hard so why would we mods our car that cannot perform? Couple of thousands of dollars are spend so that the car can meets the minimum standard in driving hard. The mods are to ensure improves road holding, braking and able to corner at decent “fast” speed etc. So is not the case of “fail to plan, plan to fail” situation.

On the day of accident, I m not going at “super fast” speed as the visibility in the front of the road is almost zero. The accident happen when I am about to pick up some speed, just when about to tap not even floor the accelerator, the car suddenly “floated” yes, FLOATED and swing to the left in a right angle position (90 degree, I m on the extreme right lane) hit the barrier then the car make a 360 degree turn and surge forward towards the opposite right side and hit the barrier. The impact is so great it’s make another 180 degree turn, the rear hit the barrier again then the car comes to a stop facing the road at the on-going direction. I was dead lucky because the car floated towards the barrier and not like the Porsche guy go straight into the barrier and got skewered. Plus my car hit the barrier and not drive into the ravine or trees when this happen. Both of my car front air bag activated only, the side and front windscreen didn’t coz the car goes straight and backward during the entire accident. My balls didn’t shrink nor do I see the white light. When its happen, I turn my head and look at my buddy coz I know is time to hand over our IC. In the end, I got only a small cut on the head and my buddy not even a scratch.

Mercedes does save life!!

Will I drive to NS again? Yes I will and done it couple of times after the accident. The feeling is not like before though, I will still drive “fast” but not when it is raining. In the past, I love to cheong especially when it is raining!!!

Footnote.

1) Get a good quality set of tyres, don’t buy used or cheap tyres. Change tyres every year instead of thinking to save some money bla bla bla. Thinking buying a solid car that will help? Think again, is the tyres in contact with the road not your car.

2) If rains heavily, slow down or stop at the pits stop then go for coffee breaks.

3) Speeding do kills so is pedestrians crossing the road.

• Like 18

Kudos bro! Tyres are always the weakest link. Floated on TPE previously as my tyres a bit bald. Couple this with our RWD it's a sure formula to aquaplaning. 

Moral of the story - I'm a racer aka speed demon. NO NO NO… Joking. Moral of the story - drive safe!  :mom:  :mom:  :mom:

• Like 3

With the present case of Porsche crash at NSHW.... I hereby declare that I kena banned by my 2 bosses from NSHW for 1 year....

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

I have perm ban by my 3 bosses too . If I have to go my speed limit is 140km/hr only and they are seriously looking of ways to install speed lock on my car. Oh gosh

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

Peter,

Thumbs upz for rewinding e horrible memories n typed it out..

Last MU were still talking abt ur lucky survival incident..

In life we have alot to b thankful for..

What We all do have is amazing family friend and memories that will last forever.. Kudos!

dont care if u rich or poor. when u r nice to me, i'll b nice too.

Peter,

Thumbs upz for rewinding e horrible memories n typed it out..

Last MU were still talking abt ur lucky survival incident..

In life we have alot to b thankful for..

What We all do have is amazing family friend and memories that will last forever.. Kudos!

Thanks bro :). Lucky to surive the ordeal. My point here is not about me, once accident happened finger pointing the driver are racing?? Also dont curse the poor guy if you are not there to witness the incident.
  • Like 2

OMG! Your poor 'civic'...but your safety is the most important.

No doubt that good sets of rubber plays a very critcal part as it is only contact point between your ride and the road. You will never know when you'll need them when they are needed.

I have also been onto bloody heavy downpour situation while driving along NSHW and I can totally understand how dangerous it can be. It was so heavy that I was having trouble seeing what's ahead. Feeling freaking out at times. Stopping by the side was not a wise option as well. Just got to go really slow till out from it.

Drive safe all!

C63 507 Edition/AMG hybrid kitted | 19" BC forged staggered rims | RAYS Alloy lock nuts | AMG BBK | KW Street Comfort Coilover | NAPEXX Quad exhaust | Exclusive motorsports ECU & Power Pedal | BMC Air filter | AMG Padels | Aftermarket ILS Headlamps | CF Side mirrors | CF Boot spoiler | CF Roof spoiler | Electroplated black chrome C-Coupe front grille | DLS 2-Way Active ICE : Apline PXA-H800 Processor / RUX C800 Contoller | 12" Active Ground Zero Slim Sub Woofer...

OMG! Your poor 'civic'...but your safety is the most important.

No doubt that good sets of rubber plays a very critcal part as it is only contact point between your ride and the road. You will never know when you'll need them when they are needed.

I have also been onto bloody heavy downpour situation while driving along NSHW and I can totally understand how dangerous it can be. It was so heavy that I was having trouble seeing what's ahead. Feeling freaking out at times. Stopping by the side was not a wise option as well. Just got to go really slow till out from it.

Drive safe all!

Yea bro, my ride end up like Honda Jazz. Yes is dangerous to stop at the shoulder lane. Thats why i suggest go to pit stop to lim kopi.

Alot of people spend thousands to mod their rides yet when it comes to tyres, they will shop around for the cheapest they can find. Remember, no matter how powerful your engine or how big your spoiler, the tyres are the only contact your car has with the road!

Alot of people spend thousands to mod their rides yet when it comes to tyres, they will shop around for the cheapest they can find. Remember, no matter how powerful your engine or how big your spoiler, the tyres are the only contact your car has with the road!

Agreed. End of the day, the tires are the only part of the car that touches the road.

Do drive safely. If there's an urge for speed, there's always a proper time and place for it.

porsche jia lat. paul walker also in porsche right ._.''  nvm.. ultimate driving machine will be tougher, ruth say one.. btw dun get bridgestone POTENZA or whatever the stupid spelling is.. just now super big rain i was driving at kje/bke my tail wagging like siao. only 65kmh.. luckily no car =X waiting for it to be botak then change to PSS! 

porsche jia lat. paul walker also in porsche right ._.''  nvm.. ultimate driving machine will be tougher, ruth say one.. btw dun get bridgestone POTENZA or whatever the stupid spelling is.. just now super big rain i was driving at kje/bke my tail wagging like siao. only 65kmh.. luckily no car =X waiting for it to be botak then change to PSS!

Hmm called me paranoid, just get it change out. Imagine if u going at 259.999km/h??

• Like 1

porsche jia lat. paul walker also in porsche right ._.'' nvm.. ultimate driving machine will be tougher, ruth say one.. btw dun get bridgestone POTENZA or whatever the stupid spelling is.. just now super big rain i was driving at kje/bke my tail wagging like siao. only 65kmh.. luckily no car =X waiting for it to be botak then change to PSS!

Bro got activate traction control? Cause it really helps.

Read news that this ride had beaten even the GTRs coming in top at Sepang....record of 10.2 sec.

RIP

post-443-0-80363900-1415803358_thumb.jpg

post-443-0-47129100-1415803366_thumb.jpg

C63 507 Edition/AMG hybrid kitted | 19" BC forged staggered rims | RAYS Alloy lock nuts | AMG BBK | KW Street Comfort Coilover | NAPEXX Quad exhaust | Exclusive motorsports ECU & Power Pedal | BMC Air filter | AMG Padels | Aftermarket ILS Headlamps | CF Side mirrors | CF Boot spoiler | CF Roof spoiler | Electroplated black chrome C-Coupe front grille | DLS 2-Way Active ICE : Apline PXA-H800 Processor / RUX C800 Contoller | 12" Active Ground Zero Slim Sub Woofer...

yea.. activated and kick in. but still wagging like siao .. the ESP trying very hard to get a grip. will monitor again and decide whether to change ASAP =X

sa la bo?! still monitor, if today really esp and traction tried their best, and something happens....

then i tink ur above reply will change to.... "i should" have changed.

tio bo? can trade in de ma.

hi blackmercs,

thanks for sharing your experience with us. I hope you can share further with more details on your accident so we can all learn. 

you mentioned visibility is almost zero and you were not going at "super fast" speed.

you also mentioned about tyres and I fully agree that tyres are very important and it must suit ones driving style and conditions.

to help us understand better, may I ask:

1. what speed were you travelling at when the accident happened?

2. which part or section did the accident happened on NSHW?
3. what tyres were you on and what was the condition of the tyres? how much mileage did you put on those tyres?

4. when were the tyres last inspected or checked? any uneven wear? any abuse to the tyres prior to the accident?

I would like to share my point on what might had happened during your accident. im guessing and I can be wrong.

you mentioned you tap the accelerator trying to pick up some speed. this tap might be the cause of your accident.

the tap might be too hard a tap. while doing it, engine trying to generate more power/torque sending to the rear tyres, and shifting the weight of the car.

if your tyres were already at its max capability, this extra sudden increase in load might cause it to lose traction or aquaplane.

just like rainy days driving in a wet indoor carpark, we need to accelerator slowly, if we floor the wheel will spin.

rain doesn't kill, aquaplane doesn't kill as well nor poor tyres.. its the judgement on the capability of their equipment.

many cars are using affordable tyres, they don't aquaplane or skid.. just that they didnt go beyond the capability of their tyres.

professional driver do make such mistakes as well, just that in a race they are competing so they took the chances.

the best tyre in the world will also aquaplane or skid.

lastly I want to highlight, information gathered on the internet might not be true. someone died, let it rest.

I can only say your accident and the Porsche's is totally different.

I hope my long post did not offend you. kopi on me the next time!

drive safe guys! cheers!

• Like 2

Hi Chris thanks for sharing your point. Will conduct all the necessary check before any run in the future. As mentioned the information given by me is solely my personal opinion.

• Like 2

Hi Chris thanks for sharing your point. Will conduct all the necessary check before any run in the future. As mentioned the information given by me is solely my personal opinion.

mai emo liao . friday i demo for you to see , bet it will rain -.- everyday rain rain rain ! especially during late afternoon when everyone finish work wanna go home. kopi on ruth~ ruth say one :D

• Like 1

mai emo liao . friday i demo for you to see , bet it will rain -.- everyday rain rain rain ! especially during late afternoon when everyone finish work wanna go home. kopi on ruth~ ruth say one :D

Hahaha lau liao, no emo leh!! sleep also not enough. Tio rejected by Hell, they give me one more chance so i got to live my life to the fullest. Can lend me your M4 bor? I promise to bring it back in one pce :).

Hahaha lau liao, no emo leh!! sleep also not enough. Tio rejected by Hell, they give me one more chance so i got to live my life to the fullest. Can lend me your M4 bor? I promise to bring it back in one pce :).

yea i also looking forward to see yan wang. but he also reject me :( i dun have mazda 4 la .. only got chickuteh.. hear say ruth changing ride to F type V8 !

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=435921&DL=1000

btw anyone know where to get best price for PSS tyres? if trade in used run flat tyres also where? 

yea i also looking forward to see yan wang. but he also reject me :( i dun have mazda 4 la .. only got chickuteh.. hear say ruth changing ride to F type V8 !http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=435921&DL=1000

btw anyone know where to get best price for PSS tyres? if trade in used run flat tyres also where?

Wow ruth new ride pow-der-ful, F type!! Try Top93 for PSS tyres.