• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Journey to acquire a A209 CLK cabriolet

retiefgoosen

Hi all

i am charting down this journey for my quest on a cabriolet Merc as a second/weekend ride

It was boiled down to two on sgcarmart.

One being a maroon CLK200ML Elegance with 85K km, one owner.

The car was ok and not too bad for a 9 year old, obvious wear and tear seen but the drive was really good and quiet.

Aircon is weak and was told the compressor need changing.

I offered a price and the dealer was waiting to get a quote to fix the thing I wanted to be done.

waited a week and no news and reply was just waiting for quotation..

next was a Black advantgarde CLK 200 K with 110k KM. three owner.

car once again drive well and beside some cosmetic wear and tear, I do like this over the red car.

Decided to go ahead and paid a deposit

sent the car for STA inspection and came back grade B

all was within normal condition except there was a remark on noisy aircon

supposedly to sign the deal and proceed with balance payment .

I even bought the insurance online as the dealer( Car exporter) said needed that for transfer of name. car is taxed til 2015 by the way.

but a blow this afternoon, when Dealer rang me up and said the aircon was blowing out hot air as he was driving to meet me.

The car was diagnosed of aircon failure and needed aircon compressor and cooling coil to be replaced. This was quoted at 1500 and Dealer said,. is bad luck and he is willing to offset 200 dollars as "token"

I told him is not fair as I checked the car was ok but i said ok.. I liked the car and the price was low to start off, and I am willing to pay 1k on top of agreed price to get it fix and balance they pay or The deduct 500 dollars and I send the car to ah boon to get it fix my self

he seems to be reluctant and said to get back to me on this

now the question is wait or just forgo the deal?

would cancelling the insurance now have a penalty on me?

How much is the insurance penalty? For me if buying stuffs and got into a bad starts i will choose to move on. Air con is consider wear and tear the dealer will not honour for repair. Used car dealer will only agree to repair engine and gear box the rest is consider wear & tears. What if after you took over the car on the way back suspension malfunction will u go back to them for replacement? So there are too many "what if" especially buying a used car. Ask yourself deep down is it a good buy? If yes, just grab it and move on.

Gd luck!'

Did u really witness the aircon was really gone?

U can call insurance co to check if there's a penalty before deciding

yeah

went down to check out the car, the aircon is blowing strongly with hot air,

tested all blower fan speed.

good idea..

lemme call them and see

How much is the insurance penalty? For me if buying stuffs and got into a bad starts i will choose to move on. Air con is consider wear and tear the dealer will not honour for repair. Used car dealer will only agree to repair engine and gear box the rest is consider wear & tears. What if after you took over the car on the way back suspension malfunction will u go back to them for replacement? So there are too many "what if" especially buying a used car. Ask yourself deep down is it a good buy? If yes, just grab it and move on.

Gd luck!'

i agreed

the engine and gearbox plus brakes were good. STA report stated was normal. (BUT how reliable? remaining questionable)

the car I would say is a really good deal considering the dep per year is only about 10k

thats why I am offering the dealer there and then a top up of 1k

now am just gonna wait out for him to get back to me

this guy used to be a ex C and C sales agent

called up insurance. penalty charges is 100.

I will wait for the dealer to call back about it today. if no deal then suck thumb and look for another...

buyers market anyway

thanks thanks

will upload picture when I collect the car

two things in my mind now

to get a set of carmat for the car...

maybe to swap out the carlsson 18 wheels to original CLK wheels. (OFFSET 30+) quite difficult to find

hi all.

just collected the car and drove through rain and traffic jam.

no problem of leak nor over heating.

first thing to notice:

mechanical dings/ scratches on body panel

no biggies. not expecting a pristine new car so is still acceptable

the electric telescopic steering wheel adjustment, can extend and push in but cannot tilt up and down... 

probably have to look into it

the electric seat adjustment on the driver side. intermittently working for the back tilt function but as long as it is working, is still ok.

things I like which is keyless entry and start.

bixenon headlight

advantgarde trim with black headlining and titanium insert.

drive was good. seems to be rougher with the 1.8 compressor engine but the pull was strong and gear changes was smooth

of course, i can't compare to the 1.8 cgi engine of my W212 mated with 7 speed.

thats it for now..

took some pictures and will try to upload some over the weekend

• 2 weeks later...

Updates:

Had to sent the car back to the workshop/ dealer for fixing the roof

the roof wasnt opening and that was due to one of the cylinder seal leaking.

Had the cylinder replaced and fixed.

Bill was 650 dollars

Now working ok and everytime I open/ close the roof, I make a note to the hydraulic level in the reservoir. so far so good.

Got a set of customised car mat

velour with silver piping.

gonna look like those found on sport edition W203 ( I hope)

contrast piping will match well with my black interior/ alu trim.

Cost 58 SGD

Now sourcing an original Double Spoke 5 spoke staggered wheels for CLK.

gonna check out a set today