• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

installing pulley on m271 engine

Cahn77

Hi guys.

It's been 2 weeks since I installed a larger crank pulley to increase the boost of the m271. Before the pulley my max boost was 10.86psi n now with the larger pulley my max boost was able to go up to 14.50psi with a spike up to 16.38psi.

No increase in fuel consumption still managed to run 450km before the reserve lights goes on. 40%highway n 60% city driving.

Have yet to retune the unichip with regards to the new boost.

In short. It's one of the best mod done on the m271 without any trouble from LTA.

Not trying to sell the item but if any of the m271 (SC) owners are able to get ur hands on a set of pulleys, you will be happy like I do.

Cheers

Hi guys.

It's been 2 weeks since I installed a larger crank pulley to increase the boost of the m271. Before the pulley my max boost was 10.86psi n now with the larger pulley my max boost was able to go up to 14.50psi with a spike up to 16.38psi.

No increase in fuel consumption still managed to run 450km before the reserve lights goes on. 40%highway n 60% city driving.

Have yet to retune the unichip with regards to the new boost.

In short. It's one of the best mod done on the m271 without any trouble from LTA.

Not trying to sell the item but if any of the m271 (SC) owners are able to get ur hands on a set of pulleys, you will be happy like I do.

Cheers

Bro, mind to share where you mod the pulleys & what's the damage? Thanks!

PM u sir......

Hi

Thk u sir. The price is only the pulley or with other mechanism? Any pics to share?

Wah bro the way you say the price must be  :startle:  :startle:  :startle:

Haha err hmm ya err hmm just curious lah. Is a good and simple mods for improve the "run".

Pushing the car at almost twice the boost.... Is like sitting on a boiling pot of oil and saying you will not burn your ass.... Cos you have your pants on....

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

Hi

Thk u sir. The price is only the pulley or with other mechanism? Any pics to share?

Price is inclusive of Labour. What u get is a huge crank pulley n a shiny slightly smaller water pump pulley

Couldn't take any photos after it's been installed. But the shiny water pump is visible.

Don't the bigger pulley comes with respective ECU remap?

Of course a tune will be perfect since there is extra boost involved. So far I am monitoring my A/F ratio and it's not leaning out too much at all RPM range.

Many people around the world have installed pulley like this n have reported a healthy 20bhp at low rpm which is at all our driving rpm range.

I will definitely re tune my car once I get my intercooler upgraded.

Price is inclusive of Labour. What u get is a huge crank pulley n a shiny slightly smaller water pump pulley

Couldn't take any photos after it's been installed. But the shiny water pump is visible.

Ok thks for the infro.

Crank pulley is for the engine, how did that increase the boost of your supercharger? Sounds more like you got a lightweight pulley kit which underdrives your engine rotation to provide more HP. However if it isn't set up correctly you could potentially mess up your crank or worse, shoot a piston through your engine. If you wanted more boost for your supercharger you should be getting a SMALLER pulley for the supercharger, nothing for the engine.

It is not a lighten pulley that u put in a Honda or subaru. Do u have any idea what u are talking about?

The pulley works the same as a kleemann. I dun remember kleemann kit requires u to change ur supercharger pulley.

Thank you for the advice but I suggest u read up more on ways to improve boost on supercharger.

Three are ways to improve the boost and changing a smaller supercharger pulley isn't the only one.

It is not a lighten pulley that u put in a Honda or subaru. Do u have any idea what u are talking about?

The pulley works the same as a kleemann. I dun remember kleemann kit requires u to change ur supercharger pulley.

Thank you for the advice but I suggest u read up more on ways to improve boost on supercharger.

Three are ways to improve the boost and changing a smaller supercharger pulley isn't the only one.

First your attitude is quite poor, second, according to the Kleeman site, http://catalog.kleemann.dk/catalog/category/byengine/180200230k-m271/ "The boost kit consists of either a K-Box or ECU tune, a new, larger diameter, lightweight crank pulley and a high flow air filter (model dependent, see chart below)."

It IS a lighter crank pulley.

There may be other ways to increase the boost on your supercharger however the simplest and most direct way is to change the pulley of the supercharger as that does not affect the rotation of the engine as noted here:

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2013/01/31/blower-basics-part-1-supercharger-types-and-terms/

"You can increase boost by swapping out the existing supercharger pulley for a smaller pulley, which drives the supercharger faster."

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2013/02/15/blower-basics-part-2/

"Keep in mind, you can make boost adjustments by running larger or smaller drive pulley sizes. You can use smaller pulleys (overdrive) to run a blower faster for more boost;"

THAT is why I asked if how it increased the boost of your supercharger. Did I at any point say anything negative about your mod? No.

So next time before you make a statement like "It is not a lighten pulley that u put in a Honda or subaru. Do u have any idea what u are talking about?" maybe you should ask yourself the same and be conscious of the fact that someone is just trying to help you.

Glad that you clarify such things. i do not wish to blow this out of proportion but it does seem that you are claiming that the only way to increase the boost of the supercharger is only thru smaller supercharger pulley from this statement u wrote.

"If you wanted more boost for your supercharger you should be getting a SMALLER pulley for the supercharger, nothing for the engine."

Even when you did some research kleemann, you also found out that its a larger crank pulley didnt you? it was so kind of you to even bold the words larger diameter, lightweight crank pulley. I am sure i am taught properly since young that larger means bigger? So, i what i said isnt wrong, its a Bigger crank pulley.

"according to the Kleeman site, http://catalog.kleem...80200230k-m271/ "The boost kit consists of either a K-Box or ECU tune, a new, larger diameter, lightweight crank pulley and a high flow air filter (model dependent, see chart below)."

you are right in replacing the supercharger pulley to a smaller one to increase boost, but if you do understand you can also increase the diameter of the crank pulley to obtain the similar boost increment to the smaller charger pulley.

Most of the M271 supercharged engines in singapore already comes with the smaller pulley thus the 184bhp.

You can choose to change the smaller pulley no doubt but i am just suggesting that i changed the bigger crank pulley and it served me very well with no issues. thus my this posting wanting to share.

"So next time before you make a statement like "It is not a lighten pulley that u put in a Honda or subaru. Do u have any idea what u are talking about?" maybe you should ask yourself the same and be conscious of the fact that someone is just trying to help you."

i am very sure you misunderstood the whole crank pulley thing thats why you concluded that its a underdrive pulley. hence my comment to you. Everybody misread and misunderstand things incluuding yourself so no stress. 

its the end of the week now. Have a great weekend.

Cheers

Yes, that was and still is my claim as that's the normal route to increasing boost for a supercharger and usually the first step. Yes you were also correct that there are other ways to increasing boost which I agreed to, having only said that the method mentioned above was usually the first approach. I questioned how your crank pulley increased boost because a un-balanced lightweight pulley can cause issues with your engine which in turn causes issues with your supercharger. It was a genuine concern. I've been modding cars since I was 16, I've seen almost all the products out there including the lightweight pulley trend to which there were many blown engines caused because the pulley was not balanced.

I'm sorry you took my original statement in that manner but it was the most direct, I didn't think I'd need to give a history on supercharger modding to support my statement.

The other issue was your statement that this is not a lightened pulley like you put on honda's and subaru (which btw most subaru owners on nasioc don't) which is exactly what the Kleeman product is.

Let's chalk this up to a long week.

No worries, Internet posting often get misunderstood.

you are right in unbalanced crank pulley will affect the harmony of the engine. so far the pulley have been very smooth and no noises or signs of unbalanced movement in the engine. the only noise i hear is the whine from the supercharger that i didnt hear before.

i made sure that this larger crank pulley isnt lighten because like you said, it is the cause of many blown engines.

what this set of pulleys i have installed was a larger crank pulley and a smaller water pump pulley to counter the bigger crank pulley.

I do have my fair share of modding cars, there are alot of lighten underdrive pulleys that are in the market that promised good results but i did have a 400bhp GC8 STi that ran on lighten underdrive pulleys with no issues on multiples track days in Philip Island as my daily driver. maybe i am just lucky.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I had a new crank pulley installed just yesterday, belt no change, filter changed when i had my ECU remapped.

Same size but lighter...the feel is immediate, lighter and indeed a boost to acceleration...

If you have asked me, the kleeman K1 is crank pulley + K Box (ECU map) + serpentine belt + air filer, the equation is the same as changing ones pulley, add a new belt, new filter and doing a remap.

OtOvdu.jpg