• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

CLA180 - Fuel Efficiency

ayubaba

Hi Guys,

As CLA is touted as fuel efficient, I was monitoring its fuel consumption since it completed first tank.

First let's understand basic rules I have followed:

1. Light footed driving mostly in E mode, aggressive highway merge and a little sports mode show-off sometimes.

2. Only Singapore driving. Mostly driven by me, on weekend some short trips by my wife.

3. Highway:urban - 70%:30%; highway speed 80-110 km/h (I travel west-east in morning and east-west in evening, thus mostly light traffic)

4. Always filled full tank with RON 95 and always after low fuel warning came up.

5. Always stop filling at Auto-cut and never allowed to pump after it.

Here are stats for different brands:

Caltex:

Fuel Consumed: Techtron 95: 41.35 L

Mileage: 637 KM

Fuel Average: 15.4 km/l

SPC:

Fuel Consumed: SPC 95: 41.09 L

Mileage: 603 KM

Fuel Average: 14.67 km/l

Shell:

Fuel Consumed: Shell Fuelsave 95: 41.08 L

Mileage: 583 KM

Fuel Average: 14.19 km/l

Esso:

Fuel Consumed: ESSO 5000: 43.41 L

Mileage: 550 KM

Fuel Average: 12.66 km/l

So you can see that somehow Shell and Esso not liked by CLA, while Caltex gave best but unfortunately no nearby pump at my home or work.

I am now back to SPC and latest figure stands at 14.9 KM/l.

What figures are you guys getting? Please share some experiences...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

question.... why dont u try ron 98. might give u better mileage.

cost a few more bucks per pump, but might give you better mileage slightly. and its cleaner for your engine.

PLease correct my noob statement if i am wrong.

question.... why dont u try ron 98. might give u better mileage.

cost a few more bucks per pump, but might give you better mileage slightly. and its cleaner for your engine.

PLease correct my noob statement if i am wrong.

I actually agree. Higher range fuel burns cleaner, it's better for the engine and more efficient.

At first, thanks a lot for participating in discussions...

@keltanky, I do agree you can not get same traffic always. Thus I have measured over the full tank, which I think averaged out best & worst situations over the period of 10-11 days.

@lks328, for CLA180, Mercedes recommends RON95 and above. Thus, as a start I stick to manufacture recommendations.However, I am also interested to try 98 and would like to see how it performs.

Please keep your suggestion flowing in....

At first, thanks a lot for participating in discussions...

@keltanky, I do agree you can not get same traffic always. Thus I have measured over the full tank, which I think averaged out best & worst situations over the period of 10-11 days.

@lks328, for CLA180, Mercedes recommends RON95 and above. Thus, as a start I stick to manufacture recommendations.However, I am also interested to try 98 and would like to see how it performs.

Please keep your suggestion flowing in....

Our Ron 95 is different from their Ron 95, their Ron 95 suppose to be Premium Ron 95 which is almost equivalent to our Ron 98.  Was told be a SA on this.

• 1 month later...

I am getting a bit disappointed by the mileage I am getting on RON 98 (SPC 98) fuel.

Although there is significant improvement in car response after moving to SPC 98, but mileage is sliding down. Currently I am getting 13.4 KM/L with same driving style. Is it normal? Or may be I had too high expectation with CLA?

I am getting a bit disappointed by the mileage I am getting on RON 98 (SPC 98) fuel.

Although there is significant improvement in car response after moving to SPC 98, but mileage is sliding down. Currently I am getting 13.4 KM/L with same driving style. Is it normal? Or may be I had too high expectation with CLA?

I'm also getting around 7.5L/100km which is 13.3km/l average.

Using esso 98.

Think with SG road conditions should be around there.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, just got my CLA180 a month ago, and now has run-in (1600km)

For past one month my FC ranging 9.8 to 10.1 Km per litre using SPC98 and drive at E mode.

Used Turbo one or two times every 50Km travelled for overtake.

Need advise from you ;

1) Is my FC normal before run in ?

2) Is there a diff in FC before and after run in ?

3) Can I use SPC95 and Caltex95 ? As C&C advised to use 98

thks.

For past one month my FC ranging 9.8 to 10.1 Km per litre using SPC98 and drive at E mode.

Need advise from you ;

2) Is there a diff in FC before and after run in ?

thks.

FC is also affected by drive style/time/route.

Didn't notice much diff before/after run in

Can use ron95

Need advise from you ;

2) Is there a diff in FC before and after run in ?

thks.

ur FC seems quite bad...

event.png

• 2 weeks later...