• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

W204 Shock absorber change. Looking for field experience

ping911

Hi,

C200 W204 is close to 5 years. About 120k done. Nothing done to car so far and so still on stock shock absorbers. I know there was an old thread in 2011 about same topic, but wanted to start a new thread here.

Anybody have experience changing their shocks? At what mileage did you get it changed? Aside from obvious noise, it can sometimes be hard to decide if you need to change shocks based on ride comfort. Can be very subjective. How did you guys access if the shocks need to be changed?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just sent my car in today for shocks warranty claim. Car will be 3 years in august and my rear stock suspension collapsed!

Serious!!??

Mercedes quality so bad??

Things do breakdown sometimes. Not to defend Merc but my car has already travelled over 80000km.

Moral of the story..... Change your car before the 3 year warranty expires.... :lol:

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

If it's still 3 - 4 years ago, majority of us will be with new rides by now! Now no choice gotta claim warranty before 3 years is up or gotta pay for repairs thru own pocket.

my suspension also not as firm as before, so i need to change the rubber bushing or the absorbers?

Mine use to have at least a four finger gap between the fender and rubber. Today when I send in, drop to two finger gap. When I carry rear passengers or heavy objects in the boot, the tyre rubs on the fender.

Worse case I occurred was can't even fit one finger in and I wasn't even ferrying anyone! This was about a few weeks back, had to wait for C&C's courtesy car to be available.

post-105-0-22436500-1404486424_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-64768000-1404486425_thumb.jpg

I had mine changed to bilstein b4 after hitting mileage of 70k. It was making some funny noises. Now at 125k, It felt not as good though there is no sound yet. .... Car feels bouncier..... Itching to change to b12 pro kit. Or....... Perhapss save the 2k and wait for Coe to drop....next year.... ( fat hope?)

I had mine changed to bilstein b4 after hitting mileage of 70k. It was making some funny noises. Now at 125k, It felt not as good though there is no sound yet. .... Car feels bouncier..... Itching to change to b12 pro kit. Or....... Perhapss save the 2k and wait for Coe to drop....next year.... ( fat hope?)

2k is for all 4 or just 2?

• 3 weeks later...

[uPDATE]

Found the stuff I need to change. See picture attached and costing.

Assuming I get Original Mercedes parts from MG.

Front - $662 each ($1324 for both)

Rear - $306 each ($612 for both)

Labour to install at Wheelpower about $300, excluding wheel alignment.

Total about $2,500. = Big hole in pocket.

But worth it cause I am keeping car for another 5 years.

How much does Bilstein cost? Anybody tried?

post-684-0-00758400-1406275110_thumb.png

post-684-0-12205400-1406275111_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of replacing the suspension and spring on my PFL W204 as well. The current setup has been lowered by the previous owner and frankly, I'm not sure what was done to it. Considering either stock or the B4. Wondering whether the B4 is able to match the comfort level of stocks though. Can any bro who made the switch offer an opinion? 

If the springs has been lowered, perhaps b4 may not be a good way forward. You may wanna consider getting from w204 stock spring upgraders their springs and then get b4s comfort should be more or less the same. If you wanna it be less crash, think b12 prokit can be had for slightly less than 2k.

I'm thinking of replacing the suspension and spring on my PFL W204 as well. The current setup has been lowered by the previous owner and frankly, I'm not sure what was done to it. Considering either stock or the B4. Wondering whether the B4 is able to match the comfort level of stocks though. Can any bro who made the switch offer an opinion? 

Since your car is lowered, you may want to go for the Bilstein B8.  As another bro mentioned, B4 is for OEM replacement, B8 is shorter in stroke therefore more suitable for lowered springs.  For my understanding , lowering spring + B8 is almost the same as B12 kit.  When I'm enquiring with my workshop for my car's B8, I saw a set there for C-class,  not sure whether its suitable for your ride.

• 4 weeks later...