• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Renew COE for 2004 CLK200?

Netdreamer

Guys,

I am thinking very hard whether to renew the COE on my ride.

It is due in Oct.

Condition is good and mileage is low.

Option 1

Renew the COE

Paper value $37k + COE ~ $75k means that annual depreciation is around $12k

Option 2

Buy another CLK ... LOL.

There are a few on sgcarmarts.

Depreciation is around $16k, I think.

But I get a newer car.

Any bro in this before and decide either way.

Can share?

Keep the car & renew the coe, since the car condition is good. Newer car but with higher dep value and unknown condition, the choice is clear.

I would renew the COE as well as the history of the car is known ... A old merc is like an wine ... I visited the Mercedes showroom in Paris and I absolutely love the 1960 SL and the old models that they put on display.

Buying 2nd hand ........ bigger risk as the history is unknown.

• Like 1

I say scrap it.  The previous gen of mercs were not exactly Mercedes' proudest moments.  They were trying to cut costs and this resulted in quality issues with the w211 and w203.  I believe the CLK was based on the W211.

Unlike the old w124 and w126s there are built to last, I dont think the CLK200 is a worthwhile car to keep for > 10 years.

树大必有枯枝,人多必有白痴。

树无皮必死无疑,人不要脸天下无敌!

How low is the mileage?  If it is 100K+ km, the gearbox may need some overhaul within the next 10 years.  I have a 2005 CLK, mileage 100K km, just replaced the Super Charger, repair oil leaks, replaced underchassis arms and water pipes.  I will renew COE in Dec 2005,  if the COE is then less than $50K. 

at least its considered low mileage works out 120k is about 14k per year.....

should work out just fine since deprecation wont go any much further...

The good is CLK class is no longer in production, the bad after 10-15 years might have some issues in finding parts after the last batch of CLK class reach COE limits

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

isn't that around the car remaining value? Scrap value is around 3-10k + COE?

But the bad part is u have to get LTA inspection every year also

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

And higher servicing cost.... and not forgetting 10% increase in your road tax every year...... Personally... unless you really like this ride and are prepared to bear with the projected problem that going to come with this 5 speed Kompressor engine... I say scrap it..... But then again... it's your call...

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

isn't that around the car remaining value? Scrap value is around 3-10k + COE?

But the bad part is u have to get LTA inspection every year also

Once you renew the COE, the PARF value is gone.  And if the car caught fire or stolen, there is no more" body value", only left with the remaining unused portion of the COE