• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Eco start stop

Titleist

Just collected my w212 few days back and realised that the default setting for the car is with the Eco function on. Is there anyway to change the default setting to off?

Also, this Eco thing kills off the engine immediately when the car comes to stop, regardless of how long the stop is. I can understand if its a traffic light that takes 30 seconds, but if its like 2 seconds only, like waiting for a car to pass, it also kills off the engine. Is this normal? I know my friends Audi has a 5 second lag time before its Eco mode shuts down the engine.

Another thing is the auto brake thingy. For eg, u come to a traffic light and step on the brakes. You will need to continue stepping on the brakes until you decide to move off. My friend's Volkswagen has this function where the car will remain in brake position (even if ur foot is off the break pedal) until u step on the accelerator. Does this car have this function?

Tks.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys.. toyed with the brakes and found out that you will need to pump the brakes twice in quick succession to activate the brake hold function.

Also realized this car comes with the leg swipe function to open the boot handsfree.  

Yes, the Eco stuff is damn irritating.  The potential damage to the engine with this start stop nonsense is hardly worth the amount of petrol saved! 

Wow The new W212 comes with this leg swipe function to open the boot handsfree too!! Same as bmw F10 series.

Just collected my w212 few days back and realised that the default setting for the car is with the Eco function on. Is there anyway to change the default setting to off?

Also, this Eco thing kills off the engine immediately when the car comes to stop, regardless of how long the stop is. I can understand if its a traffic light that takes 30 seconds, but if its like 2 seconds only, like waiting for a car to pass, it also kills off the engine. Is this normal? I know my friends Audi has a 5 second lag time before its Eco mode shuts down the engine.

Another thing is the auto brake thingy. For eg, u come to a traffic light and step on the brakes. You will need to continue stepping on the brakes until you decide to move off. My friend's Volkswagen has this function where the car will remain in brake position (even if ur foot is off the break pedal) until u step on the accelerator. Does this car have this function?

Tks.

hey bro, i checked with my salesman. he told me he would be able instruct the technician to default the eco function off during my next 5k tyre rotation .

hey bro, i checked with my salesman. he told me he would be able instruct the technician to default the eco function off during my next 5k tyre rotation .

Wow excellent! I would definitely do that.  

This Eco thing is really damn irritating.  Cant believe they don't have a lag time.  I just wonder how much damage it will do to the engine, esp in city driving in Sg. 

Wow The new W212 comes with this leg swipe function to open the boot handsfree too!! Same as bmw F10 series.

Yes.. its pretty intelligent too.  You cant leg swipe it to open / close while engine is on.  It gives a little beep before it closes when you leg swipe it, a sort of warning i guess in case you accidentally close it while loading stuff.  

yeah,

Do you notice the sensors on the front and rear has quite serious lag time. I get very irritated especially when stopping at the traffic lights and when motorcycles squeeze through, after 3-5 secs, the sensors starts to scream. Also when driving the hazard alert is quite sensitive to vehicles infront. I guess its for safety reasons tho. 

Yes.. its pretty intelligent too.  You cant leg swipe it to open / close while engine is on.  It gives a little beep before it closes when you leg swipe it, a sort of warning i guess in case you accidentally close it while loading stuff.

Is your ride from C&C?? My fren brought from them recently without this features!! Is it an option?

yeah,

Do you notice the sensors on the front and rear has quite serious lag time. I get very irritated especially when stopping at the traffic lights and when motorcycles squeeze through, after 3-5 secs, the sensors starts to scream. Also when driving the hazard alert is quite sensitive to vehicles infront. I guess its for safety reasons tho. 

I cant understand the proximity hazard alert though.  Sometimes it beeps, sometimes it doesnt.  Sometimes when i am less than 1 car length away from the car infront, the light flashes, sometimes it doesnt.  Maybe its too intelligent for me!

It vary with your speed....If u are driving fast 70km/hr it flash and beeps like 2-3 car length away if u are like 20-30km/hr it will flash and beeps one or half car length away.

I cant understand the proximity hazard alert though.  Sometimes it beeps, sometimes it doesnt.  Sometimes when i am less than 1 car length away from the car infront, the light flashes, sometimes it doesnt.  Maybe its too intelligent for me!

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

It vary with your speed....If u are driving fast 70km/hr it flash and beeps like 2-3 car length away if u are like 20-30km/hr it will flash and beeps one or half car length away.

you are right. but the sensors aint very accurate. very different from BMW's 3 color range sensors.

Yea, that's what my salesman told me. I pre-ordered in Apr, therefore mine was first batch and didn't had the option.

Its just a fancy feature to have, nothing too important that you cant live without. 

Overall its a nice ride.  A little lacking in power but what the heck, this aint no AGM. 

you are right. but the sensors aint very accurate. very different from BMW's 3 color range sensors.

Heard too many horror stories with the BMWs... thats why chose the E class.  Was contemplating the 528 which was priced slightly lower that the E, but with a much better power output but eventually decided against it. 

it calculates your speed and braking distance..... personally I'll rather hear the beep beep beep than "BANG"!!!

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

it calculates your speed and braking distance..... personally I'll rather hear the beep beep beep than "BANG"!!!

What about Bang!!! ... Beep....Beep...Beep.....

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

that'll be the life machine monitoring your pulse..... just make sure u don't get DEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

What about Bang!!! ... Beep....Beep...Beep.....

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

AB u very funny.... Oh ya I forget the siren....