• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Exhaust System affects Back Pressure (low end)

benzeighty

Hi Bros and Gurus,

Am deciding if to upgrade exhaust system for my 2012 C180 CGI (1.8).

Read from some reviews that turbo engines are particularly fussy on back pressure. Turbo engines require very carefully controlled back pressure upstream of the turbo correctly spec'ed for the specific turbo & rev range.

Have spoken to workshops and been warned the effect of low end loss after installing. Need to do ecu tuning to complement the performance exhaust system.   

Hence, need to seek some advise here on the effect of back pressure (loss low end).

Thanks in advance.

Seems like an irony to me..:) the purpose of an exhaust upgrade is to release more power.. But u are satisfied with no power loss.. But iits really true for mufflers.. Just for the sound.. As long as no power loss plus gain in sound we are all happy man.. Btw no power loss when dyno does not equate to no low end loss.. Power jus comes in at higher rev.. There is still going to be low end loss.. Jus from past experience

• Like 3

Seems like an irony to me.. :) the purpose of an exhaust upgrade is to release more power.. But u are satisfied with no power loss.. But iits really true for mufflers.. Just for the sound.. As long as no power loss plus gain in sound we are all happy man.. Btw no power loss when dyno does not equate to no low end loss.. Power jus comes in at higher rev.. There is still going to be low end loss.. Jus from past experience

Hmm that's true, maybe its the power that comes in in the higher revs, but I guess the loss is minimal ?

Seems like an irony to me..:) the purpose of an exhaust upgrade is to release more power.. But u are satisfied with no power loss.. But iits really true for mufflers.. Just for the sound.. As long as no power loss plus gain in sound we are all happy man.. Btw no power loss when dyno does not equate to no low end loss.. Power jus comes in at higher rev.. There is still going to be low end loss.. Jus from past experience

Okie. But will exhaust system release more power? Was told that upgrading exhaust and air intake usually come as a pair. Better air intake system allow more air into the engine and in turn release via exhaust. Similar to our human respiratory system during running. Else the runner (engine) will be out of breadth (choking).

Okie. But will exhaust system release more power? Was told that upgrading exhaust and air intake usually come as a pair. Better air intake system allow more air into the engine and in turn release via exhaust. Similar to our human respiratory system during running. Else the runner (engine) will be out of breadth (choking).[/quote

Can tell u.. Open pod/CAI plus free flow exhaust= ultimate recipe for low end loss... Big time loss.. U dun believe u can try.. Install both.. Drive a while then remove it.. U suddenly feel ur car can go much faster.. But if u only want the roar and dun care about low end.. Then that's different story

• Like 2

Okie. But will exhaust system release more power? Was told that upgrading exhaust and air intake usually come as a pair. Better air intake system allow more air into the engine and in turn release via exhaust. Similar to our human respiratory system during running. Else the runner (engine) will be out of breadth (choking).[/quote

Can tell u.. Open pod/CAI plus free flow exhaust= ultimate recipe for low end loss... Big time loss.. U dun believe u can try.. Install both.. Drive a while then remove it.. U suddenly feel ur car can go much faster.. But if u only want the roar and dun care about low end.. Then that's different story

Thanks bro for the info.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yup! Low end confirm impacted after operation but hor i never tune it. Maybe that can change it.

U never feel it when u operate ur previous ride? But the exhaust note is very very nice!

from a V6 block sure nice...........

cheers

Yup! Low end confirm impacted after operation but hor i never tune it. Maybe that can change it.

U never feel it when u operate ur previous ride? But the exhaust note is very very nice!

Ya operate is very nice I know.. If can tahan the sluggish pick up..

• 2 weeks later...

Our ride has two cat, one below just before the muffler and the other at the downpipe just after the engine. If only the one below just after the muffler is decat, low end would not suffered provided that the dp one is still there.

Any Bros wanna confirm on this?