• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

SgMerc Photography Outing Part 5 - 10th August 2013

Sorry for the lousy shots Got to do some PS :hot:

post-443-0-58573100-1376412135_thumb.jpg

post-443-0-30343200-1376412171_thumb.jpg

post-443-0-13217500-1376412205_thumb.jpg

post-443-0-53635500-1376412252_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

C63 507 Edition/AMG hybrid kitted | 19" BC forged staggered rims | RAYS Alloy lock nuts | AMG BBK | KW Street Comfort Coilover | NAPEXX Quad exhaust | Exclusive motorsports ECU & Power Pedal | BMC Air filter | AMG Padels | Aftermarket ILS Headlamps | CF Side mirrors | CF Boot spoiler | CF Roof spoiler | Electroplated black chrome C-Coupe front grille | DLS 2-Way Active ICE : Apline PXA-H800 Processor / RUX C800 Contoller | 12" Active Ground Zero Slim Sub Woofer...

hey merceman, try playing around with other variables like shadows/highlights, exposure etc. Just did a quick one in PS to bump up some highlights/contrast/saturation so you can see the difference.

In future shoots, try to make your focus tack sharp and you'll get even better base files to play around with. It looks overcooked especially where the sky and clouds but you get the idea for dramatizing  ;)

Try shooting close to sunset for even more dramatic colours. 

eiqdg.jpg

hey merceman, try playing around with other variables like shadows/highlights, exposure etc. Just did a quick one in PS to bump up some highlights/contrast/saturation so you can see the difference.

In future shoots, try to make your focus tack sharp and you'll get even better base files to play around with. It looks overcooked especially where the sky and clouds but you get the idea for dramatizing ;)

eiqdg.jpg

clap clap

You're dethpicable. 

In future shoots, try to make your focus tack sharp and you'll get even better base files to play around with. It looks overcooked especially where the sky and clouds but you get the idea for dramatizing ;)

eiqdg.jpg

thanks for the tips. I understand what you meant. The rest are pretty straight foward by playing around those settings u mentioned. Pictures are reasonably sharp, except that I just can't get rid of those feather radius somehow and it doesn't allow me to set to 0. In the pics you can see are on default of 0.2. I think it should look better at 0 but I just got no idea how to do it. Tried modifying but still cannot go to 0. Am very green horn to PS.

C63 507 Edition/AMG hybrid kitted | 19" BC forged staggered rims | RAYS Alloy lock nuts | AMG BBK | KW Street Comfort Coilover | NAPEXX Quad exhaust | Exclusive motorsports ECU & Power Pedal | BMC Air filter | AMG Padels | Aftermarket ILS Headlamps | CF Side mirrors | CF Boot spoiler | CF Roof spoiler | Electroplated black chrome C-Coupe front grille | DLS 2-Way Active ICE : Apline PXA-H800 Processor / RUX C800 Contoller | 12" Active Ground Zero Slim Sub Woofer...

In future shoots, try to make your focus tack sharp and you'll get even better base files to play around with. It looks overcooked especially where the sky and clouds but you get the idea for dramatizing  ;)

eiqdg.jpg

Yes boss, the pic is overcooked plus there's the halo effect around the car and the fence line

I do agree to shoot at a better timing eg sunset for nicer colours and slower shutter speed. I'm already maxed out at f22 and couldn't go any slower than I would liked to

• Like 1

Erm dunno true or not...but what I read...actually Max out f is actually not recommended. Usually its 20 to achieve best effects.

Yes u are spot on, typically anything above f11 (lens dependent) will cause diffraction to set in and causes the pic to be unnecessarily soft. So try not to shoot above that.... For me i wanted the slow shutter speed to get the background blur effect, else everything will be freezed sharp!

Yes sifu...I learn something new today...but slow shutter speed hands must be steady? I usually use max is 1/30...anything below image blur. But one thing to note I m usinga cam n lens without anti shake. Sifu please advise.

Rule of thumb for shutter speed is 1/focal length (35mm format). So if you using a 50mm lens recommended is not shooting below 1/50.

Some ways to improve is to learn to control your breathing and use proper hand holding techniques. However sometimes blur can also add some artistic value to the image so don't be afraid to break the "rules"

Lucky for me my camera body has anti shake so that make things much easier , time to get the omd bro MTL ;)

Erm dunno true or not...but what I read...actually Max out f is actually not recommended. Usually its 20 to achieve best effects.

basically going higher f/stop like f22 is more for landscape pic. That's good for capturing as sharp as possible on all area. Lowering f/stops with an extended focal point and good distance between object and background will give a good bokeh effects.

However, to capture such moving car is a very different ball game. I do agree that that was not the best time of the day to capture good pictures.

Yeah man been thinking of omd for long long time liao. Heard newer version is coming. Haiz...but all my emount lens jialat liao. Now I have 24mm/50mm/10-18mm/8mm fisheye/16-50mm...how to sell them?

Clubsnap!

basically going higher f/stop like f22 is more for landscape pic. That's good for capturing as sharp as possible on all area. Lowering f/stops with an extended focal point and good distance between object and background will give a good bokeh effects.

However, to capture such moving car is a very different ball game. I do agree that that was not the best time of the day to capture good pictures.

Boss, landscape also no need f22. Sweet spot usually f11-f13 for most lenses, then set to hyperfocal distance.

Unless of course you need the super long shutter speed , with which i would recommend a ND filter

Think I should stop here else this place will become clubsnap. We can meet up to share knowledge and discuss more. Gardens by the Bay shoot put date put time !

IMHO, there is no fixed rules and settings. It is just for general guide and all also dependent on individual preferences and setup used. I like use a ND to bump up my f/stops to capture water flow or for reducing glares.

Don't bring me back to these poisons! Lol

^^ true true no fixed rules so keep exploring!

my habit is to keep ISO as low as possible according to what the lens is capable of and the amount of light available, RAW recorded images. that's it.

what speed was the car travelling at in those pictures posted earlier ? 20-30 kmh ? 

you guys have constructed your own camera rigs before ? 

6a00c2251f0d59f21900c22ew4.jpg

as of right now, I only have a plastic canon 50mm left in the drybox. ;) envious of all you exotic glass owners yielding creamier backgrounds and colours that pop.

Me too like to keep ISO as low possible during day shoot. That will gives sharpest image with lowest distortions.

Speed traveling was like 30-40km/h? Only our driver bros knows. I was too busy snapping away! Lol.

I did previously checked on rigs but they can be quite costly and if not going to get any commercial values out if it, no point really. LL Just do it the conventional way like we did. Ha..

I am also a canon person on a basic 500D. Perhaps time to upgrade to a FF 6D *drooling*