• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

How many members here owned A170-A250 AMG Sport?

Quad088

According to BM , my a250 should be ready for collection, I may be old-fashion, an anyone advise whether does A-Class require engine to run-in. I will later change the my rims . Is anyone interest to buy 4 x 18" amg rims ?

Just drive about 1000 to 1500 km below 3000 rpm. This shld give the new car a gd run in.

After that considered run in?

Yap is that anything else i might miss out?? Please englighten me.

No lah... Coz I also heard another friend telling me to drive below 5000rpm before clocking 3000km. He also recommend having first oil change at 3000km...

Is yr fren driving a mercs too? You can do oil change every month, no issue at all. By doing so yr engine performs better. Do u notice that, everytime after servicing yr drive is smoother!! Is becoz of the new engine oil, not the serivice guy done a gd job. Mercs recommended 15,000km for the first servicing, i m sure they had reason for this, else will be "fail to plan" & "plan to fail".

Please read yr manual under "Driving", below is cut and paste from Coupe manual.

"The more you look after the engine when it is new, the more satisfied you will be with its performance in the future.

Drive at varying vehicle speeds and engine speeds for the first 1000 miles (1500 km) for this reason.

Avoid overstraining the vehicle during this period, e.g. driving at full throttle.

Change gear in good time, at the latest when the tachometer needle is 2/3 of the way to the red area in the tachometer display.

If possible, drive in drive program E (in AMG vehicles in drive program C) for the first 1000 miles (1500 km).

Do not manually shift to a lower gear to brake the vehicle.

If possible, do not depress the accelerator pedal past the point of resistance (kickdown).

Only select shift ranges 3, 2 or 1 when driving slowly, e.g. in mountainous terrain. After 1000 miles (1500 km), you can increase

the engine speed gradually and bring the vehicle up to full speed.

Additional breaking-in notes for AMG vehicles:

do not drive faster than 85 mph (140 km/h) in the first 1000 miles (1500 km).

only allow the engine to reach a maximum engine speed of 4500 rpm briefly.

change gear in good time.

You should also observe these notes on running in if the engine or parts of the drive train on your vehicle have been replaced.

Always observe the respective speed restrictions."

• Like 1

Wah...then my SE must have saboed me. He told me to whack hard from the start because the ecu will take the cue from how we drive and adjust to our driving habit. Luckily so far so good.

Yr SE is not wrong coz was told that engine run-in at factory. This so called run-in can the guru shed some light here!! Like, is it mounted on the car or stand alone??

I think the run-in is stand alone, hence is better to run-in together with the rest of the car mechanism.

Wah...then my SE must have saboed me. He told me to whack hard from the start because the ecu will take the cue from how we drive and adjust to our driving habit. Luckily so far so good.

u can wack hard anytime as the ecu will learn anyways.

From a different perspective on running in a new car, I would imagine all other parts are new and by easing in, they would last longer. For example, brake pads would need bed in.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

5000rpm??? Bro... how are u going to reach that locally???  U can change oil practically everyday or every 500km is you r loaded... Nobody can say you're wrong....

No lah... Coz I also heard another friend telling me to drive below 5000rpm before clocking 3000km. He also recommend having first oil change at 3000km...

I'm prepared to meet my Maker...

Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter - Winston Churchill

Hi guys , many thanks for the good sharing. I do run in the old fashion way , that is 60km/hr  for 1st 300 kilometers, 80km/hr till 800 kilometers  and 100km/hr till speedometer reaches 1000 kilometers (for this , I did it is NS highway to Malacca ) . After that , happy revving.

I changed my engine oil at every 8000 kilometers and added OWS engine protection . My cars is 8.5 years and the sound of the engine is good as new as compare cars of 3 years as commented SE of my current ride .

According to BM , my a250 should be ready for collection, I may be old-fashion, an anyone advise whether does A-Class require engine to run-in. I will later change the my rims . Is anyone interest to buy 4 x 18" amg rims ?

Planning to upgrade to 19" or remain 18"?

Was told if 19" will have to downsize (from stock 235/40/18) to 225/35/19 to avoid rubbing (w offset of 45; current stock wheel offset 49)

Planning to upgrade to 19" or remain 18"?

Was told if 19" will have to downsize (from stock 235/40/18) to 225/35/19 to avoid rubbing (w offset of 45; current stock wheel offset 49)

Offset nos smaller means protrusion increases.

Quad you get your car already??

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested to buy AMG rims