• Join SGMerc for Exclusive Perks!

Welcome to SGMerc - the largest Mercedes-Benz site for Owner and Enthusiasts in Singapore!

SGMerc is the official club for all current & previous owners of Mercedes-Benz cars in Singapore. SIGN UP FOR YOUR FREE ACCOUNT TODAY!

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join us today!

Road trip SG→Penang: Need advise

Hello everyone,

anybody tried driving your 3 pointed star from SGPenang?

1. Are there anything to lookout for? Is there a need for car inspection prior to travel? Where to do that.
  2. I'm still on a lookout for hotels to stay over. You know la.. can be quite scary to drive up north. Any recommendation for Malacca, KL and Penang? Need a trusted hotel to park moi car.

Hello everyone,

1. Are there anything to lookout for? Is there a need for car inspection prior to travel? Where to do that.
  2. I'm still on a lookout for hotels to stay over. You know la.. can be quite scary to drive up north. Any recommendation for Malacca, KL and Penang? Need a trusted hotel to park moi car.

If your car has not been serviced for a while, just do a regular car servicing. Watch out for the usual key stuff like the brakes and tyres condition.

For accommodation in Melaka, I recommend Holiday Inn or the new Hatten Hotel.  As for KL, it is huge and it literally depends on which part of KL u want to stay. U are literally spoilt for choice.  Has been a while since I went up to Penang so cant help there.

树大必有枯枝,人多必有白痴。

树无皮必死无疑,人不要脸天下无敌!

Nala,

In Penang, there are many new boutique hotels, but they can be quite dear......I always stay in Traders, near to makan places so you need not drive out.....

When do you intend to drive there?

Spoon feeding teaches you nothing....but the shape of the spoon...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

hey.. In Penang you can book Parkloyal Hotel...its a affordable hotel, with parking space. 

Its in Batu Ferringhi.

Refer below travel map of Penang to see more travel destinations.

<a href="http://www.mapsofworld.com/malaysia/penang-map.html">http://www.mapsofworld.com/malaysia/penang-map.html

</a>

Hi,

Yes I did a driveup to Penang during the school hols in June.

700 over km. Cleared Causeway at 5am and arrived at Georgetown at noon. Did couple of stops for fuel and bfast.

Stayed at Hard Rock at the beach. Lovely experience.

Check your battery. I didnt. It died on me when I reached there.

Hello everyone,

Nice....Do u exceed speed limit and see the AES cam?

The world Most dangerous thing is the Vehicle. Its not about the machine weather its slow or fast. Its the person who is controlling it. The driver is the brain of the Machine. Not the machine itself.

If the driver reacts slow even the most powerful ABS(Auto braking system) will not help. The driver has to give the car the command in Order for the car to react. Afterall he is the brain of the car.

edit: ooops realized u already done your trip...  hahaha so remove invalid info except hotel / makan

-----------------------------------------------------------

drove my c180k to ipoh and then penang (not in 1 day though) 

stayed at Lone Pine Hotel / G Hotel / Shangri-La's Rasa Sayang before and all OK. I also rank them in that order. G Hotel is at Gurney drive so hawker food is easy, next to it is a big mall too, so convenient wise this is best. Lone Pine and Rasa are at Batu Ferringhi so beach front, can drive to The Ship for some old fashion surf-n-turf type dish, otherwise some food places there too. Go Penang i would visit Lorong Selamat for their Penang Char Kway Teow, i usually eat at the 2-woman store, they wear some fancy hat...

• Like 1